Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-08-2004, 15:15   #16

Re: Accrington Observer

As you say Greco the Observer site isn't much use.To reiterate my earlier point the paper along with many other 'local' newspapers has now moved out of its local boundary.
The paper is owned (I think) by the Guardian series of Newspapers and printed in Oldham at Mirror Colourprint.
The local office have only a skeleton staff comprising of mainly freelance reporters.
As for the Website,compare it with the Lancashire Evening Telegraph's which is updated each day.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2004, 14:23   #17

Just because the Observer is PRINTED elsewhere doesn't mean that it has moved out of its local boundary - ALL editorial content (and some advertising) is produced from the office in Blackburn Road. And it isn't a skeleton staff consisting of mainly freelance reporters - all editorial staff are based there. It is correct to say that the paper is owned by the Guardian group, but this has been the case for years and the majority of local newspapers these days are owned by big media groups.
plazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2004, 20:44   #18

Thumbs up Re: Accrington Observer

Sorry ,I must agree to differ; the staff is a skeleton compared with the good old days.
I think with over 35 years in the Newspaper business(both local and National)I have an inside view of what goes on.
Sorry if I dented your pride, no offence was intended!
Old 23-08-2004, 00:29   #19
Senior Member+

Got to agree with Greco, the website needs some work, in this day and age you would expect more but it is the Observer when all said and done.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 08:10   #20
Resident Waffler

On the subject of the Observer now being owned by sources outside of Hyndburn maybe it's a case of "full circle" because it was originally set up by someone from Preston wasn't it?

I think most newspaper offices would look like a skeleton staff compared to the good old days. Whatever happened to proof readers? Since the art of compositing became a dying skill many others have disappeared too.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2004, 08:49   #21

In the old days copy was received from multiple sources;advertising was taken either over the counter or by phone,the ad was then typed out by the office 'girl'.
Then the ad was again typed out by the Linotype operator in the Comp room.
The type was then transferred to a galley and proofed,before being proof read,any corrections were then re submitted,
News articles were collected by the Reporter,typed out,tranferred to the Linotype re typed and again proof read.
All these multiple sources were then assembled(along with any photographs and line images)in the Chaise(metal frame) as a mirror image of the page,before again being proofed and checked.
Then the page had a papier machee flong applied,under a presssure roller this became a mould,which was then cast by the Stereotyper into a semi circular printing plate.
The plate was then placed on the press and again a proof was run off.
Then finally the proofed Newspaper would be checked by F.S Kitchener,Les Stott and Harry Crossley, once the all clear was given the paper was printed!
All this labour intensive process had to go and with the advent of computer technology the process became more streamlined(but not as cost effective) with less doubling up of processses.
Subsequently many jobs became redundant to the Industry,the 'Observer clung to the old ways longer than most,but eventually with new owners(more finance)the old Rotary Letterpress method was replaced by the Offset Litho process.
An unusual side effect of this was that many local pubs felt the chill,with the resulting loss of trade!
Yes through my rose tinted specs they really were the Good Old Days!
Old 24-08-2004, 08:31   #22

Leo Hughes, was he realated to Mr Hughes the woodwork teacher at the Holy Family?
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2004, 12:27   #23
Resting in peace

I am pretty sure Leo was an only child - I know he was the only son. The Holy Family Mr Hughes might have been a cousin, or something, but there are quite a lot of Hugheses about.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 00:53   #24
Senior Member+

Accrington Observer

Hi, finally found you the Observer information I have been looking for. Yep, Willow The Wisp, you were correct about Preston.

The Accrington Observer was founded in 1887 by the Toulmin family of Preston, owners of the Preston Guardian and Blackburn Times, who decided to extend their interests. During the first four years of its publication it struggled against competition from The Accrington Times and the Accrington Gazette (microfilmed copies of which can be viewed in Accrington Local Studies library) and the Toulmin family, rightly or wrongly decided to sell.

The papers manager and editor was a Mr Richard Shaw Crossley. He must have had faith in the paper, and he borrowed £1000 from a family member. After only four months, he was in a position to buy out one of the rivals, The Accrington Times, and merged the two papers under the name we all knew, THE ACCRINGTON OBSERVER AND TIMES.

The first office was in Peel Street, on the side where the new market shops are - if you look carefully at this photo taken in Peel Street, you can just about make out the words "The Accrington Observer" on the side of the building. At the turn of the century, the paper moved to Edgar Street. This became its home for over 90 years! Mr Crossley died in 1931, he left a thriving business - during the war years they mangaged to continue successfully, the business being continued by the two sons - Richard and Robert. These two brothers died within a few months of each other in 1959, and their two sons carried on - Eric and Harry. In 1963 a big change was introduced, the front page had always been used for adverts, especially cinema adverts - news items now replaced the ads. In 1973 the Tuesday Observer changed to the new tabloid size. By 1980 the decision to switch from hot metal to computerised photo-typesetting was made. In the late 80's the publication date of the paper changed from Saturday to Friday. By now Harry's son Richard, the fourth generation to run the paper, was in charge. Soon it became apparent that as one of the few family owned newspapers left in the country, they were struggling, and so they accepted an offer from the publishers of the Rochdale Observer. They then switched the Friday paper to tabloid format as well. Finally they decided to abandon their Edgar Street premises, and moved to Blackburn Road, where they are still based.

Hope I have got my facts correct here Mr Lampman, please do correct me if necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fairaccy.JPG (58.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg OBSERVEROFFICESOLD_resize.JPG (98.2 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 01-09-2004 at 00:55.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:47   #25

Yes,Atarah;I think all the facts appear correct.As a personal footnote,I was searching through my paperwork the other day and came across my very first pay slip.The princely sum of £3 4s 6d! Time for a clean out I think.
Old 06-09-2004, 13:01   #26
Resident Waffler

How long ago did the mid-wek Observer cease to be published? (The one which came out on Tuesdays)

I love that old photo of the fairground ride.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2004, 10:18   #27
Senior Member+

Mr Lampman, this is for you

Hi Mr Lampman and members, have been given permission today from Mr Garth Dawson to show this photo - taken in 1979. I bet you are on this piccy!!!!

This photo was taken in the composing room to mark 50 years service by Mr Frank Kitchener, editor from 1964-1979. To his left and right are Mr Rowland Joynson and Mr Harry Crossley.

Hope you enjoy this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accobserverphoto1979.jpg (84.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 14-09-2004, 10:37   #28

Nice photo Atarah,from the fly leaf of a book on Accrington if I recall.
Er,no I am not on the photo having departed the scene some years before,though I can name most of the the people shown.
The present Editor Mervyn Kay,is seen hiding behind Harry Crossley,another present day journalist Phil Harris is seen on the left (dark jacket)behind Terry Hulme the proof reader(tank top)
I well remember a cricket match we played against the Evening Telegraph,the Telegraph were batting ;Phil was on the boundary fielding.The batsmen played a stroke to the boundary,Phil managed to stop it by tripping over the ball.Then he proceeded to throw the ball to the wicket keeper,unfortunately this took him two attempts;the sight of him running after the ball he'd just thrown picking it up and throwing it again has stayed with me all these years!
Garth Dawson is he still with us then?
Always the gentleman,he long held the Observer photograph slot as well as a successful wedding photography business.Long may he continue!
Old 14-09-2004, 10:49   #29
Senior Member+

RAccrington Observer

Mr Garth Dawson is certainly well and truly still with us, in fact, he has a book coming out, by next month I believe, showing local photos he took whilst with the Observer. I look forward to purchasing it!
Old 14-09-2004, 12:55   #30
Resting in peace

I still have the photograph that old Mr Dawson (Garth's father) took of me on my third birthday, and a story goes with it .... feed me beer, and I may tell you!
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..