Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2004, 21:01   #1

Accrington Observer

I wonder if anyone has any photos or memories to share on the subject of the Accrington Observer &Times newspaper formerly of Edgar Street?
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2004, 23:20   #2
Senior Member+

Accrington Observer

Some photographs for the time being ....photograph no. 3 compliments of Owd Bert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBSERVEROFFICESOLD_resize.JPG (98.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg Observer_resize.JPG (52.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg edgarstreet2003_resize.jpg (97.2 KB, 72 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 06:53   #3
God Member

Re: Accrington Observer

I can remember that as a small child I was a member of the Observer Club. I had a round red and white badge and got a mention in the paper on my birthday. I don't recall any other benefit of membership.
John65 likes this.
Old 19-08-2004, 08:02   #4
God Member

I like the piccy on the left. At first glance it looks like another scene from the 1900's..but look closely and you can see it's 1960's. Lovely.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 11:44   #5

Thanks for the response and the photographs,I used to work at the 'Observer in the late 60's-early 70's.As I remember the company was a family owned affair(Crossley family).
It had many characters,some of whom spent all their working lives there.Others used it as a training ground,many moving on to the Lancashire Evening Telegraph.
I think something has been lost now most of the 'local' papers are produced miles away.
Gone are the days of Frank Kitchener(Editor) giving the paper a final once over each Monday and Friday night before announcing,'that's another one put to bed'.Regardless of the fact that around another 4or 5 hours would have to be spent actually printing the damn thing.
Ah well the Nag's Head kept us going!
Old 19-08-2004, 12:36   #6
Senior Member+

Accrington Observer

Rowland Joinson of course being a well known reporter there. He had regular "local history" columns in the paper.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 12:44   #7

Ah,yes dear old Rowland,one of the last of his breed,profoundly deaf(not a good quality in a journalist)he was reknowned for always wearing umpteen layers of clothing even on the hottest summer day. One night he turned up in a breathless state to utter the immortal lines,'Stop the Press'.

Apparently one of his articles had been omitted and he was wanting the 14,000 papers already printed to be redone!
As a say last of the breed and a true Gentleman!
Old 19-08-2004, 13:21   #8
Resting in peace

I was at school with Pat Crossley - still in touch.

Does anybody remember Arnold? - He was a great guy, lived in Burnley Road, had worked on Fleet Street, but he upgraded to the Accy Observer. He was a great character and excellent company, whether in the pub or dragging people home to play chess with him. I have happy memories of listening to Thelonius Monk in his front room ...
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2004, 14:49   #9

Smile Re: Accrington Observer

Hmm,Can't recall Pat Crossley,was this a sister of Jennifer who had worked in the office?
Other characters I do recall were Mr.Harry Crossley;owner and Managing Director.Eric Ellis,the Advertising manager (?).
John Bancroft the one man fire risk(where's me fag?)
Leo(former undertaker)still mentally measuring people on first meeting.
Jack Halstead(former RSM Gordon Highlanders)who taught me to swear.
There were many others but time and various places of work,have over the years dimmned my recollection of the names.
Old 19-08-2004, 14:53   #10
Resting in peace

I never actually worked at the Observer, so only know Arnold from the pub and Pat from Paddock House. I think she was Richard's sister, perhaps Harry's daughter, she is about the same age as me, 57, married to a dentist and living at Simonstone. Leo wouldn't have been Leo Hughes, would it, had an undertakers on Blackburn Road with his father, until father handed in his dinner pail ... He was a nice chap, buried lots of my family (not that that was the nice bit!). Can't remember where I learned to swear, but can do it in four languages!
Old 19-08-2004, 15:06   #11

Yes Leo Hughes was the name,I remember a member of staff mistakenly donning Leo's smock,only to be told that was the one Leo wore when he laid people out.
The shouts of an anguished,Get it off!' could be heared above the noise of the Presses!
Old 19-08-2004, 17:04   #12
Resting in peace

Leo Hughes was actually a very interesting man, if you could get him to talk. He was very well read, he told me once that when he was a teenager, he used to dream in Latin! The Observer must have had so many characters - wonder if any other newspaper, even a national, could beat the record?

I still read the Observer, buy a copy every time we come up, and read it online when in London .... except you can't get the hatches, matches and despatches online, nor a lot of the really interesting local bits.
Old 19-08-2004, 18:40   #13
God Member

If that is the Leo Hughes whose father had his premises on Blackburn Road near to the Sacred Heart, he buried my grandparents, who both died on the same day.
Old 19-08-2004, 18:49   #14

As you say Pendy you don't get the interesting bits on the Observer website,another reason why this site is so useful.
Old 19-08-2004, 21:30   #15
God Member

I was disappointed with the Observer web site, I thought the news would've been upto date and not previously published news.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..