Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2008, 09:20   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Accrington Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
As Eric says, it would pump massive amounts of money into the local economy. Hull University President claims that we as students pump over £200 million into the local economy.
ah but most of thats on credit.
Old 21-11-2008, 09:57   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Everythings on credit these days cashy
Old 21-11-2008, 09:59   #18
God Member

Without trying to be a party pooper, are these university campus things actual universities or are they extensions to the college offering university courses ?
Old 21-11-2008, 10:09   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Very true. I note that even during the turbulent times we are experiencing, friends are still managing to get extended overdrafts.
Old 21-11-2008, 10:18   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Without trying to be a party pooper, are these university campus things actual universities or are they extensions to the college offering university courses ?
I doubt it, Accrington & Rossendale College already does this.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:24   #21
K-P

Yep you can go on a uni course at accy and get full grants and a lot more besides.

OK its a possible influx of money.. but if it does become a proper uni which i doubt.. for me it will ruin the town... it will expand and take over... it will be wall to wall students everywhere... a town full of teenagers from all over the country isnt a good thing. I have seen it happen and its not a pretty sight.

I would be more than a little suprised if this happened anyway
Old 21-11-2008, 10:29   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-P View Post
Yep you can go on a uni course at accy and get full grants and a lot more besides.

OK its a possible influx of money.. but if it does become a proper uni which i doubt.. for me it will ruin the town... it will expand and take over... it will be wall to wall students everywhere... a town full of teenagers from all over the country isnt a good thing. I have seen it happen and its not a pretty sight.

There were probably equally negative townsfolk in Cambridge in the thirteenth century.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:46   #23
Resting in Peace

Do we really need a town full of pot smoking drunks?

And then there'll be all the students as well.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 18:29   #24
God Member

Quote:

There is always a down side, if you google "aberdeen street party", you might find something.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 19:47   #25
K-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
There were probably equally negative townsfolk in Cambridge in the thirteenth century.
i know you like to argue anything i post. but really.. did you even bother to read it this time or are you getting lazy? I have seen first hand what a uni can do to a town.. I watched it grow and spread like a virus.. money isnt everything and shouldnt blind people to other problems..

its an opinion.. thats all.. based on true events as they say in all the best movies
Old 21-11-2008, 21:19   #26
Give, give, give member

Quote:
i know you like to argue anything i post. but really.. did you even bother to read it this time or are you getting lazy? I have seen first hand what a uni can do to a town.. I watched it grow and spread like a virus.. money isnt everything and shouldnt blind people to other problems..

its an opinion.. thats all.. based on true events as they say in all the best movies
I only say something if I happen to believe it's true, and not because it may be the opposite of what you've posted. Your opinion really isn't that important to me, that I need to contradict it just for the sake of something to do.

You mentioned the decline of Preston since it's Polytechnic became the University of Central Lancashire.

You said, and I quote, 'if it does become a proper uni which i doubt.. for me it will ruin the town... it will expand and take over... it will be wall to wall students everywhere... a town full of teenagers from all over the country isnt a good thing. I have seen it happen and its not a pretty sight.'

What you failed to mention is that when Preston had a Polytechnic, it also had a student body of tens of thousands, drawn from all over the U.K., and overseas.

So your perceived decline of Preston isn't down to the fact that it now as a university, because for at least the last forty years previously it has had a large student population, with thousands of students from outside the Preston area.

I think the chances of Accrington having a university are slim, but if it did happen the benefits would only be positive. From the money the students spend in the town's pubs and shops, to the creation of hundreds of jobs, from lecturers and technicians, to cleaners and caterers, the positives would far outweigh the negatives.

Old 21-11-2008, 21:40   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

Don't knock it. I lived in a University Town for 3 years and it was great. The uni influenced a lot of what happened in the town and, I've got to say, there was a sort of academic "boost" that you don't get everywhere. The quality of life was enhanced by the great number of students and professorial staff that made up a portion of the population.

Mind you, it also helped that there was a beautiful cathedral, a castle, a tree-lined river with old stone bridges, old-fashioned shops and attractive residential areas. Durham City is a lovely place.
Old 21-11-2008, 22:37   #28
Resting in Peace

When I lived in Lancaster it was full of reasonably educated idiots.
Now they have PhD's in the subject.:

Old 21-11-2008, 23:35   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
When I lived in Lancaster it was full of reasonably educated idiots.
Now they have PhD's in the subject.:
Lancaster is a good example, even though the main campus is based outside the city.

When it was founded in the sixties it had a massive effect on the city itself and the surrounding areas. Financially the area received a massive boost, and cultural life flourished, and it still is, forty four years on.

Off the top of my head I can't think of one university town that doesn't have at least one book shop, something Accrington is bereft of.

Old 22-11-2008, 00:45   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Lancaster is a good example, even though the main campus is based outside the city.

When it was founded in the sixties it had a massive effect on the city itself and the surrounding areas. Financially the area received a massive boost, and cultural life flourished, and it still is, forty four years on.

Off the top of my head I can't think of one university town that doesn't have at least one book shop, something Accrington is bereft of.
Daughter been up to my gaff today and bought a load of books for her UNI course for a fraction of what it would cost at a book shop

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..