Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-08-2008, 14:55   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Airport Security

My daughter and granddaughter went on holiday early this morning. I got a text from my daughter this afternoon to say they'd arrived safely etc. She also said Laura was "randomly" picked for a security search at Manchester airport and was frisked (she was only wearing a vest top and calf-length jeans, nowhere to hide anything) and made to remove her shoes and socks which were then scrutinized. Dozens of adults went through without any hinderance while she was being searched.

Nik said Laura looked very scared but she managed to convince her it was exciting rather than scary. Oh, Laura is 8 years old and was getting on a holiday charter flight to Greece.
Accrington Web
Old 14-08-2008, 15:04   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Airport Security

well obviously she must have looked like a terrorist westender. a similar thing occured with paris at Los Angeles airport a few years ago although not a child she was petrified, she was wearing just a blouse, three quarter pants n trainers, no socks, it wasn't just being stopped that upset her,was the really obnoxious female securitys manner. hope the young un was treated better. P.S. we had only flown in from New York were we went through no hassle.
Old 14-08-2008, 15:12   #3
Senior Member+

They searched my Harry at 6 months old, he was in his all in one suit. They made me get him out of his pram at 3am when he was fast asleep so they could take his pram away seperately to be scanned. Needless to say he was wide awake after that.

This was 1 and half years ago at the height of the security alerts, with all the liquid problems. I had to drink his milk and open and taste some of the baby food in jars that I had with me.

I was a little aprehensive about them searching him, but they were very quick and understanding. And to be honest with you i'd rather they did proper checks, so I know that i'm going to be safe when I travel.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 16:58   #4

Unfortunately some people will use children and babies to carry through illegal substances in the hope that they wont be searched because they are children, these are the people we need to thank for babies and children being searched, I hope they treated her with respect though and it doesn't ruin her holiday

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 17:26   #5
Passed away 25-11-09

Thanks, fibi. Her mum said the woman who searched her kept apologising for doing it and Laura's a sensible girl. She's texted me herself since they got to Greece - 3 times! - instead of holiday "spends", as they're All Inclusive, I'd topped up her mobile for her. She'll have used it all by the weekend . She doesn't seem at all bothered now, just a bit dischuffed that they got to the hotel too late for her to go in the pool.
Old 14-08-2008, 18:04   #6
Give, give, give member

I was stopped last September, November, and January, whilst other just walked through.

Can't really grumble, as security is understandbly still tight.

Luckily I'll be with my mum next month, and she will be able to re-thread my belt, and tie my shoe laces.

If anyone sees someone in their stocking feet, and their trousers falling down, in November, please spare a moment to help the cack-handed sap with Parkinson's.

Hope your family have a great holiday Westender, and that seeing the sun isn't too much of a shock for them.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 18:19   #7
Passed away 25-11-09

Thanks, G, I'm sure they'll love it. I'll enjoy 2 weeks peace and quiet, too.

I may possibly go to Malta in November so I'll look out for you at the airport. Can't have you tripping round Terminal 2 with your trollies round your ankles.
Old 14-08-2008, 18:51   #8

Blimy Garinda, you get about a bit dont you? Three jollies in six months!!!!
Lovely x
Old 14-08-2008, 18:59   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I was stopped last September, November, and January, whilst other just walked through.

Can't really grumble, as security is understandbly still tight.

Luckily I'll be with my mum next month, and she will be able to re-thread my belt, and tie my shoe laces.

If anyone sees someone in their stocking feet, and their trousers falling down, in November, please spare a moment to help the cack-handed sap with Parkinson's.

Hope your family have a great holiday Westender, and that seeing the sun isn't too much of a shock for them.
go mid october instead,then i can laugh.
Old 14-08-2008, 19:40   #10
God Member

You guys should look like me .... long hair, beard, scars, tattoos .... I look like a terrorist, and most definitely like a drug smuggler for the Hell's Angels; therefore, I never get stopped.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 20:58   #11
God Member

I usually always get frisked it would be enjoyable except its always a women, went away in April this year and needed food and bottles for Robert I had to taste everything but expected to have to so made sure his food was something good, pram had to be folded the kids weren't searched though, hope your grandaughter's ok Westender, I think it would be more worrying if they just let people walk through though.
Old 14-08-2008, 21:59   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
well obviously she must have looked like a terrorist westender. a similar thing occured with paris at Los Angeles airport a few years ago although not a child she was petrified, she was wearing just a blouse, three quarter pants n trainers, no socks, it wasn't just being stopped that upset her,was the really obnoxious female securitys manner. hope the young un was treated better. P.S. we had only flown in from New York were we went through no hassle.
It's scary enough flying into LA X even without the searches. Flying into the US from Canada is usually a breeze; we still are not required to show passports. A driver's licence will do. There's not much the US can do about the border between Ontario and America; most of the traffic is heavy trucks (those things you guys call lorries for some strange reason). And the volume of trade between American and Ontario is greater than that between America and China. Money talks, bullcrap walks.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 22:45   #13
Yank in King Art's Court!

I've never, thankfully, gone through the full Airport rubdown. Did get into a bit of a disagreement with security over a mostly empty tube (rolled all the way up) of toothpaste. He said I couldn't bring it in as it holds whatever a full tube does. I noted that there was only a few days supply left. He was all hung up on what a full tube contains. (This will explain my bad breath during my last trip over!)

Funniest thing was that I also had a full container of shampoo that I had forgotten about but he just past it over!

Sorry your family had to go through that Westender. Had to be really hard for both of them. I imagine their trip back will be pretty apprehensive for them eh?

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2008, 22:55   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
You guys should look like me .... long hair, beard, scars, tattoos .... I look like a terrorist, and most definitely like a drug smuggler for the Hell's Angels; therefore, I never get stopped.
Got yourself 'clocked' next time through you are requested to have a shave...have a haircut..take a drug test...shave the beard off and have your tatoos read by a trick cyclist...as for your scars....the mind boggles.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 07:15   #15
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I nearly always get frisked, not only here but abroad too. The worst airport I've ever been through has to be LA, it was a nightmare...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..