Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 13:01   #1
Always EVIL within us

Unhappy American Blood Sports

Perusing through an American forum, I came across an off-topic thread which I found to be a little unsettling. I don't know why, I am in favour of fox hunting, I don't believe fish "scream" when caught on a hook........

Its not the blood that disturbed me, perhaps the use of guns in the hands of children? or maybe the killing of such a beautiful animal, maybe the blasé attitude of American hunters....

Here is a few extracts from the thread.

My son (8 years old) shoots his first deer.

He has been target shooting since 4 (on my lap) and got his hunting license this year. He made a great shot with his .243 on this little cull spike Friday morning. The buck dropped on the spot.

Thumbs up! On his first kill!! Mike, you’re a good father!

Awsome, I wish I could have started that soon.

Good gosh Mike, I think he must have grown a foot since I saw him last, What a great start to his hunting years, you have to mount the spikes for his room.

Great pics, I’m sure you’re a proud papa, and you should be too

Good going Mike, I was 9 when I got my first deer so he beat me by a year. That’s a great age to start them off, If he gets to hunt with you into his teenage years, he’ll be hooked for life. Good job, pop!

Way to go little spray!

(male, Toronto, Canada) says:
Am I the only one cringing at the thought of an 8 year old killing an innocent animal??? I guess since I am not a hunter, I don’t get it! Congrats I guess……

Reply to above:
Don’t you have a tree to hug rather than blathering on about innocent animals being killed? What a dipsh*t!!

And the final comment which is SO contradictory.......Very nice, way to bring up another lover and respecter of nature, I can’t wait for my little guy comes out with me!!
Old 01-01-2007, 13:30   #2
I am Banned

Re: American Blood Sports

fair play to them i say

unlike fox hunting where the fox gets detroyed just for fun american hunters do eat what they kill infact i have a friend whos father taught him not to shoot anything that he didnt intend to eat

hope he never shoots a burgular lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 13:58   #3
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
fair play to them i say

unlike fox hunting where the fox gets detroyed just for fun american hunters do eat what they kill
Good comment chav, in fact, this Mike stated later that he made his son "gut" the deer so I presume it was intended for the freezer
Old 01-01-2007, 15:18   #4
I am Banned

it happens in the uk on a smaller scale still

air rifles , ferrets and rabbits
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 17:52   #5
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747 View Post
Good comment chav, in fact, this Mike stated later that he made his son "gut" the deer so I presume it was intended for the freezer
I found this a curious statement Busman. Did you guys think that most hunters just leave their kills out in the woods and fields? Most hunters either eat what they hunt or give the meat away to homeless shelters or to food closets for the poor.

It's a very successful program and helps keep down the over abundance of deer. These of which have cause more and more highway accidents and deaths. They also, when not culled by hunting or cars, do alot of damage to crops, orchards, and gardens.

Brian

Oh, by the way, have never hunted for deer.

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 17:55   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
I found this a curious statement Busman. Did you guys think that most hunters just leave their kills out in the woods and fields? Most hunters either eat what they hunt or give the meat away to homeless shelters or to food closets for the poor.

It's a very successful program and helps keep down the over abundance of deer. These of which have cause more and more highway accidents and deaths. They also, when not culled by hunting or cars, do alot of damage to crops, orchards, and gardens.

Brian

Oh, by the way, have never hunted for deer.
All, very admirable LYY, however, they do do it for the fun of the kill at the end of the day . Not that I am against it or anything, but that is the main reason, or would have professionals doing it all the time rather than hand this job out to the masses. Tis regarded as a sport initially.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 18:03   #7
Yank in King Art's Court!

OH, no doubt about it these, guys are really in to either "the challenge" or excitement of the hunt. Though some are quite a bit cold and callous about it.

Actually, the government does have an Agency (Animal Damage Control) that kills off deer populations that have over run certain areas of farmland or in the suburbs.

I do consider it as a bit of a sport and it does harken to the days of our frontierman type heritage. Different reasons for different folks! What gives it most of a bad name are the guys who go off get drunk, shoot anything that moves, don't respect saftey, and end up only wounding the animal or shooting themselves, their friends, or any innocent by stander!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 18:07   #8
God Member

I'd rather little Joey learn what its all about when it come to hunting. i.e. that he has to do the dirty stuff as well. How many of our little dears have no idea where that beef burger comes from. At least this kid knows that meat comes from animals that have been killed and gutted etc. He will 'respect' his food far more than 99% of kids in this country.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 18:07   #9
Resting in Peace

Well, thanks for your honesty and information ... can see you are a true gentleman ... xx

P.S. Could do with getting rid of those erksome rat snakes that get squashed on the road .. yuk !
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 18:20   #10
God Member

Deer are cute to look at pulling Santas sleigh , but otherwise are a bloody nuisance, around my area the numbers are out of control due to restrictions on hunting in urban areas and animal rights nutcases who protest at planned county sponsored culls , as LLY says the crop damage they do runs into millions of $$$, and they do cause lots of traffic accidents

Can understand Busmans 'unease' at the thoughts of young-uns using firearms, but these kids are taught to respect guns and know what damage they can do and are very responsible, you never hear of a kid who was raised in a family that hunts getting into bother , a very different culture to the punks in the inner cities who use guns for crime
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..