Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2007, 18:19   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

An American Woman's View

The following is said to have been written by a woman in New Jersey, USA. It's very American in its contents but I wonder what your thoughts are.

Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001?

Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered that day, in downtown Manhattan, across the Potomac from our nation's capital and in a field in Pennsylvania?

Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?...Well, I don't. I don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle East start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia.

I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured; I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your heart of hearts: I don't
care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and -you guessed it -I don't care! ! ! ! !

If you agree with this viewpoint, pass this on to all your e-mail friends. Sooner or later, it'll get to the people responsible for this ridiculous behavior!

If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button. Should you choose the latter, then please don't complain when more atrocities committed by radical Muslims happen here in our great country!

And may I add:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."

Ronald Reagan

I have another quote that I would like to add AND.......I hope you forward all this.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under." also by...

Ronald Reagan

One last thought for the day:

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the anti-American sentiment and negativity, we should remember England’s Prime Minister Tony Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament members why he believes so much in America, he said:

"A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.

AMEN!
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2007, 22:03   #2
God Member

Re: An American Woman's View

This would seem reasonable to most Americans. Surprisingly I agree with a lot of it, is a sense. It is the sort of thing politicians would love to say. And I would argue that most Americans who will vote in the next presidential election would agree with all or most of it. In fact the only thing I see as twisted is bringing god into the thing, but there again, the muslims center god more than the Americans do.

I don't agree with the fact that foreign troops are in Iraq and Afghanistan ... but the fact is, they are there, and its not surprising that they do all they can to protect themselves and to win. Canadians in Kandahar have been accused of some brutal acts. Once again, like 64% of Canadians I would like to see those brave men and women safe home in Canada. But, while they are there I do not give a flying f**k what they do to stay safe. Next month's rotation will have the Royal 22nd regiment (the fighting Vandoos) in Afghanistan. These hard lads from east end Montreal, Shawinigan, and the Gaspe, are not going to win the hearts and minds, they are going to kick ass. And much as I disagree with their going, I support them with all my heart, and I don't give a damn how many Taliban they waste in order to stay alive. Many western nations, dragged and prodded by the Americans now find themselves in a mess, not directly of their own making. And what a mess it is.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 22:47   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
The following is said to have been written by a woman in New Jersey, USA. It's very American in its contents but I wonder what your thoughts are.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

1. Jesus Christ

2. The American G. I.

[/COLOR]
agree with most of what she says, never did agree with the war,but i support ALL troops who are giving their all n lives,but as the lady only thinks
GIs are dying for us (meaning all coalition troops) she just lost it for me,and if britain dont ever support the usa again NOW cashy dont care.
Old 14-07-2007, 23:15   #4
Give, give, give member

My thoughts?

I think there are very probably exactly the same sort of things written in Arabic, both feeling attacked and persecuted, and both strangely claiming to have God on their side.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 00:27   #5
Resident Waffler

I got this email from my American cousin and pointed out that it is very arrogant of Americans to think that only GIs have died for others. What about all the British soldiers? Or don't they count?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 01:05   #6
Yank in King Art's Court!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I got this email from my American cousin and pointed out that it is very arrogant of Americans to think that only GIs have died for others. What about all the British soldiers? Or don't they count?
Of course they count Willow! Didn't your cousin acknowledge fact?

I've seen this make the rounds over the years. Not quite sure if it's from a lady from Jersey or not. I guess doesn't much matter. However, it was written by an American aimed at the few Americans who are quite vocal (think main-stream media and the ultra-far left liberals) and would disagree with most of what was written.

I, as a very conservative American, agree most solidly with most of the points. Yup, even bringing God into it.

Rindy does make a good point of the insanity of the millions (probably billions) over the many years of civilization killing others in the name of god. Heck, just in our Civil War over 500,000 died and each side thinking/hoping God was on their side.

Just please understand, I and many Americans really do appreciate all the many young men who have laid down there lives in the name of freedom. I could go on and on into specifics but I shant. My heart breaks even more so for those young lives lost due to the incompetence of their leaders i.e. Gallipoli, geez too many coming to mind but hope you get (IMO) my point!

Brian

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 08:44   #7
God Member

It does seem more likely to have been written by a journalist, however it does also seem to echo popular sentiment. In common with many members I think that the intervention in Iraq was ill-conceived and has been shamefully mishandled, however, like the author of the quoted piece, my support for those brave men and women who defend our country and our values against those who seek to destroy us is unwavering. They are doing what I can not. How can you not respect and admire them? Ok sometimes they may make mistakes or read the situation they are presented with wrongly, but that does not make them any less brave or honourable, it makes them human and fallible, like the rest of us. It must also be remembered that you cannot make an omlette without breaking eggs. There will be some who say "try telling that to the relatives of the eggs you break." But that is to completely ignore the actions of the chickens which came before the eggs.

On the issue of rights, Human or otherwise, I think that far too many folk seem to find it fashionable to wear their rights on their sleeves, without understanding that the concomittant of rights is responsibility.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 15-07-2007 at 08:48.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 09:04   #8
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancYorkYankee View Post
Of course they count Willow! Didn't your cousin acknowledge fact?
Yes she did, after I'd mentioned it to her. The point I was trying to make was that although many here would agree with the sentiments it's that last bit which says that only an American GI has ever offered to die 'for you' which doesn't apply once the message travels beyond the USA. The email has travelled through this country quite a but an unfortunately has evoked the response that it gives the impression that only American soldiers are willing to die for us Brits and sadly that provokes an anti-US backlash. It's like when the film makers rewrite history to minimise Britain's role in such things as the cracking of the enigma code.

I can see what the writer was trying to achieve by saying it but it also applies to the British soldiers and allied forces who fought in two world wars, the British soldiers who risked their lives in The Falklands (mistakenly interpreted by someone as us having invade Argentine territory) etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
my support for those brave men and women who defend our country and our values against those who seek to destroy us is unwavering. They are doing what I can not. How can you not respect and admire them? Ok sometimes they may make mistakes or read the situation they are presented with wrongly, but that does not make them any less brave or honourable, it makes them human and fallible, like the rest of us. It must also be remembered that you cannot make an omlette without breaking eggs. There will be some who say "try telling that to the relatives of the eggs you break." But that is to completely ignore the actions of the chickens which came before the eggs.

On the issue of rights, Human or otherwise, I think that far too many folk seem to find it fashionable to wear their rights on their sleeves, without understanding that the concomittant of rights is responsibility.
Oh how very well put A-b. I wish I could have said it like that. Sometimes people overlook the facts of who really is responsible for conflict when they lay the blame on the soldiers who are only trying to do their duty in a situation I wouldn't want to trade with them for anything.

Old 15-07-2007, 11:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
My thoughts?

I think there are very probably exactly the same sort of things written in Arabic, both feeling attacked and persecuted, and both strangely claiming to have God on their side.
I agree Garinda, both sides claiming God is on their side fighting in God's name.

I must say that the beginning of the statement by West Ender that Islam brought the war to their shores is factually incorrect. As America has had a problem with Islam for the last 50 years following it's blind support for Israel.
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 12:06   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
I agree Garinda, both sides claiming God is on their side fighting in God's name.

I must say that the beginning of the statement by West Ender that Islam brought the war to their shores is factually incorrect. As America has had a problem with Islam for the last 50 years following it's blind support for Israel.

Not my statement, I'm just reporting.

Whether or not it is a manufactured piece of journalism, and I think it may well be, it probably reflects the feelings of most Americans. I can see where the ideals are coming from, though I think it's a bit far-fetched in its patriotism. There are some aspects of it that I can agree with, some I don't, but it has the feel of the way the "man or woman in the street", with relatives deployed in Iraq, must see the situation.
Old 15-07-2007, 12:38   #11

Sorry WestEnder I meant to say the quote you posted.

Apologies
Stanaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 12:55   #12
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanaccy View Post
Sorry WestEnder I meant to say the quote you posted.

Apologies
I guessed that, really.
Old 15-07-2007, 13:16   #13
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: An American Woman's View

Since when was the American GI the only person to die for our freedom?

The British Tommy did far more than his fair share. So did the, Canadians, Aussies, New Zealanders, South Africans, Indians, Ghurkhas, Russians, Poles, Czechs, French etc. etc. etc.
Old 15-07-2007, 13:30   #14
Resident Waffler

Yes, I think the original message was addressing Americans saying that the GIs are the ones who are willing to die their freedom - when you take it out of the US context and it starts to travel the world it could do with a little appendix to add reference to all those others. I don't think the original intention was to imply that only Americans save the whole world and the soldiers from other countries are not as dedicated. It's just unfortunate that it comes across like that.

Old 15-07-2007, 13:56   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: An American Woman's View

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Yes, I think the original message was addressing Americans saying that the GIs are the ones who are willing to die their freedom - when you take it out of the US context and it starts to travel the world it could do with a little appendix to add reference to all those others. I don't think the original intention was to imply that only Americans save the whole world and the soldiers from other countries are not as dedicated. It's just unfortunate that it comes across like that.
As one famous Scottish judge quote in his summing up of a case regarding the notice about a road toll, “Signs should state what they mean, and mean what they state.”

We can only read what is written and cannot second-guess what was meant to be stated.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..