Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-10-2010, 21:26   #16
Senior Member+

Re: An Elected Mayor of Hyndburn

Why is this subject being brought up now? Is it a national requirement, because the arguments for and against were discussed ad nauseam 10 years ago when Hyndburn first had the option of an elected mayor under the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000.

There was no support for it from the Conservative group.

What has changed since then, other than a Council leader worried about next May's elections?

Last edited by gynn; 27-10-2010 at 21:30.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-10-2010, 21:38   #17
God Member

Err...Ken...if the council do vote for an elected mayor, is there not a prerequisite that it should be followed by a local referendum on whether or not to have an elected mayor?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 21:42   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thinkin about it, there aint many vote these days in elections,local or national, so even less i imagine would bother to vote fer a mayor, leaving the door wide open fer the snake to snare the job.
Old 27-10-2010, 23:12   #19
Senior Member+

The new government have scrapped the requirement to have a vote and a whole new set of proposals will be presented in the localism bill. I have the letter from the minister.

Whoever said it is a requirement is not telling the truth and wasting public money.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 06:58   #20
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Err...Ken...if the council do vote for an elected mayor, is there not a prerequisite that it should be followed by a local referendum on whether or not to have an elected mayor?
There would, although as Graham has now pointed out the situation is now quite how it is being portrayed to us all by the local Conservative leader.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 06:59   #21
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Why is this subject being brought up now? Is it a national requirement, because the arguments for and against were discussed ad nauseam 10 years ago when Hyndburn first had the option of an elected mayor under the provisions of the Local Government Act 2000.

There was no support for it from the Conservative group.

What has changed since then, other than a Council leader worried about next May's elections?
I think you've answered your own question there....

Old 28-10-2010, 07:04   #22
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
IMHO the leader of the strongest party in the council should be the de facto Mayor/Mayoress.
Just one hypothetical question - if an election for the position came into being would Ken be in the running for that position?
There would be nothing to stop me putting myself forward as a candidate but I suspect I would lose, and in every way.

For starters it would have meant stepping down as a councillor, but since I'm not widely known across Hyndburn then people would end up voting for the badge I'm wearing rather than me personally, something I am against. More importantly it would have affected my work and home life. I have worked for 8 years to build up two businesses, I don't spend enough time with my wife as it is and all that would have to be completely sidelined for the sake of four years of power.

It's not something that would appeal to me personally.

Old 28-10-2010, 07:04   #23
Give, give, give member

If it ain't broke, it doesn't need fixin'.

The present system should be kept.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:27   #24
Resting in Peace

As a little fun aside .. are new robes made for each Mayor every year or hand me downs ? Do they have a selection of sizes in stock ? After all, Malcolm is slightly lacking in height to some previous mayors.

Could be a saving if we have a 4-year Mayor ... only silver lining of saving I can spot.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:36   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
As a little fun aside .. are new robes made for each Mayor every year or hand me downs ? Do they have a selection of sizes in stock ? After all, Malcolm is slightly lacking in height to some previous mayors.

Could be a saving if we have a 4-year Mayor ... only silver lining of saving I can spot.
I think a simple hemming stitch, run round the robes of office, depending on each mayor's height, would be cheaper still.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 07:40   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I think a simple hemming stitch, run round the robes of office, depending on each mayor's height, would be cheaper still.

Maybe they do that then ?

Ken, will you please find out the answer to my question please from a voter, or will I have to go through the Freedom of Information act... LOL.

Last edited by katex; 28-10-2010 at 07:43.
Old 28-10-2010, 07:53   #27
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Maybe they do that then ?

Ken, will you please find out the answer to my question please from a voter, or will I have to go through the Freedom of Information act... LOL.
It's a good question actually, Kate. I have no idea!

Leave it with me.

Old 28-10-2010, 08:01   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
It's a good question actually, Kate. I have no idea!

Leave it with me.
Ta .. it's a woman thing.

Can't see an elected Mayor happening in our Borough.
Old 28-10-2010, 08:47   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:

It's the same Robes for all the Mayor's regardless of size.It's question that's often asked.But there not altered, they just seem to fit. Although they hang better on some Mayor's than others I suppose.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:12   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
It's the same Robes for all the Mayor's regardless of size.It's question that's often asked.But there not altered, they just seem to fit. Although they hang better on some Mayor's than others I suppose.
Seem to remember they fitted you like a love Bernard

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..