Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2010, 09:15   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: An Elected Mayor of Hyndburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Seem to remember they fitted you like a love Bernard
It's a good job we never had Tessie O'Shea as a councillor in Hyndburn.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2010, 09:26   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Seem to remember they fitted you like a love Bernard

I didn't wear them that often. And I don't think I ever wore that daft hat.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:43   #33
JCB

A query I have brought up before . If you end up with an elected Conservative mayor and a Labour majority of councillors , wouldn't the mayor end up being a lame duck ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 10:26   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I didn't wear them that often. And I don't think I ever wore that daft hat.
Oh yes you did Bernard, I saw ya
Old 28-10-2010, 10:28   #35
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
A query I have brought up before . If you end up with an elected Conservative mayor and a Labour majority of councillors , wouldn't the mayor end up being a lame duck ?
Happens in the States JCB with the president, in fact it could be just that way after the mid-term elections next month
Old 28-10-2010, 16:44   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The new government have scrapped the requirement to have a vote and a whole new set of proposals will be presented in the localism bill. I have the letter from the minister.

Whoever said it is a requirement is not telling the truth and wasting public money.
When did they scrap the requirement to have a referendum?
Old 28-10-2010, 17:13   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's the same Robes for all the Mayor's regardless of size.It's question that's often asked.But there not altered, they just seem to fit. Although they hang better on some Mayor's than others I suppose.
Thank you Bernard .. wonder how long the present robe has been in service ... oh, and is that fur really mink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I am getting more confused by the minute. An elected Mayor is being portrayed as someone who has powers tantamount to Leader of the Council but, yes, wouldn't be if the opposition got in during he or she's term.

Off to do more research on this subject... bet many members of the public will be baffled by this system too. Think would have to do some sort of leaflet drop first ... explaining; then a referendum, then the actual election.

Oh sod it .. stay with the yearly one .. we understand that up 'ere in t'North...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 17:56   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Thank you Bernard .. wonder how long the present robe has been in service ... oh, and is that fur really mink ?

I am getting more confused by the minute. An elected Mayor is being portrayed as someone who has powers tantamount to Leader of the Council but, yes, wouldn't be if the opposition got in during he or she's term.

Off to do more research on this subject... bet many members of the public will be baffled by this system too. Think would have to do some sort of leaflet drop first ... explaining; then a referendum, then the actual election.

Oh sod it .. stay with the yearly one .. we understand that up 'ere in t'North...
I would be surprised if we were to end up with an Elected Mayor. Personally it's not something I would support. I also don't detect any great clamour for an Elected Mayor.

As far as the robes go, I'm not sure how far they go back, but it's a good few years. I think the fur is genuine,but I'm no expect on such things. I know it's warm though. The Chains the Mayor wears by the way are the old Accrington Chains. And they do go back a long number of years.
Old 28-10-2010, 18:00   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I would be surprised if we were to end up with an Elected Mayor. Personally it's not something I would support. I also don't detect any great clamour for an Elected Mayor.

As far as the robes go, I'm not sure how far they go back, but it's a good few years. I think the fur is genuine,but I'm no expect on such things. I know it's warm though. The Chains the Mayor wears by the way are the old Accrington Chains. And they do go back a long number of years.
How much does the chain actually weigh Bernard and does get you down if your wearing it all day
Old 28-10-2010, 18:13   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
How much does the chain actually weigh Bernard and does get you down if your wearing it all day
I'm not sure how much they weigh. There quite heavy though. There's a lot of history also attached to the chains. The chains are the same ones the Mayor was wearing when the Accrington Pals paraded past the Town Hall before going off to France. So there's a lot Accrington history in those chains.
Old 28-10-2010, 18:19   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm not sure how much they weigh. There quite heavy though. There's a lot of history also attached to the chains. The chains are the same ones the Mayor was wearing when the Accrington Pals paraded past the Town Hall before going off to France. So there's a lot Accrington history in those chains.
Are the other chains from the other UDCs still kept in a case in Town Hall
Old 28-10-2010, 18:26   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Are the other chains from the other UDCs still kept in a case in Town Hall

They are, but you might remember a good few years ago some of the chains from the former UDCs got stolen. So there not all the original ones. The Accrington one survived because it was being used by the Mayor at the time.
Old 28-10-2010, 18:38   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
They are, but you might remember a good few years ago some of the chains from the former UDCs got stolen. So there not all the original ones. The Accrington one survived because it was being used by the Mayor at the time.
That's why I asked Bernard, thought I remembered something about them being stolen just couldn't remember if they were retrieved or not
Old 28-10-2010, 20:31   #44
Senior Member+

In reply to Andrew, the strong leader model that had to be voted on by Council isntonbe replaced and a ministerial letter went out saying that any efforts would be wasted efforts.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2010, 07:57   #45
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Maybe they do that then ?

Ken, will you please find out the answer to my question please from a voter, or will I have to go through the Freedom of Information act... LOL.
Just had a detailed reply from the Mayor's secretary stating that the current robes date from 1954, with the original fur trim having been reused from the previous set of robes in 1878. There have only been two sets of robes and as they are only worn very occasionally there is little need for replacement, save for occasional repairs to the lining, etc.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..