Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are these mothers right or wrong to be angry about the advert shown at a U rated film
They're wrong - its selfish and inconsiderate to complain about it 4 21.05%
They're right - its their right to inform their own children themselves of such things 15 78.95%
I dont have an opinion on it 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 22:05   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: Angry mothers over Madeleine advert - are they right to be angry or not?

I agree that it shouldn't have been shown in the cinema before a U film. Parents should have the right to believe that taking a child to see a U film they are only going to see things which should not frighten or worry the child. After all any trailers shown before a U film also has to have a U certificate even if it's a trailer for a PG or 15.

I'm also of the opinion that by concentrating on this one abduction that many others are being overlooked and I feel sorry for the parents of those children.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2007, 22:07   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I agree that it shouldn't have been shown in the cinema before a U film. Parents should have the right to believe that taking a child to see a U film they are only going to see things which should not frighten or worry the child. After all any trailers shown before a U film also has to have a U certificate even if it's a trailer for a PG or 15.

I'm also of the opinion that by concentrating on this one abduction that many others are being overlooked and I feel sorry for the parents of those children.
The advert was given a U rating.

I think its funny to see so many people against it yet if you look at all the comments on The Times website under the article the majority are angry that it got complaints.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 22:09   #18
Resident Waffler

Oh well at least it got a U rating but I still don't think it's appropriate. Surely there can't be anybody in the country anyway who hasn't heard of her abduction and seen her photos.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 22:24   #19

Not sure if I agree or not with the advert being shown I think I would have to see the advert first to make my mind up- so that being said probably not a good idea to show it as the decision to veto as a parent is taken away from you.

There is I feel however an inherent danger with labouring the STRANGER DANGER aspect to children- the vast majority of children who have been abducted/assaulted have some knowledge or awareness of the individual- they arent strangers. Ian Huntley for example was not a stranger to Holly and Jessica. I personally have educated my children 11 and 7 that if it aint mummy or daddy or a very select list of significant others then NEVER go with them.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 22:25   #20
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I do apologise, but only because I've said this before, the parents left her and her younger twins on their own whilst they went out and enjoyed themselves, whether it's 2 yards or 50 yards, when you are on holiday you make sure the children are safe, the party they were with could have had an adult supervising at all times.

Had that happened, the child would not be missing.

Once more I repeat I have every sympathy for the child, but none whatsoever for the negligent parents, had they been 'chavs' they would have been crucified by the press before they could explain, never mind introduced to the Pope.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 22:27   #21

Think they know that better than anybody.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 23:14   #22
God Member

The advert apparently told about Madeleines story, what happened that has led to the circumstances and description of how to find her, and the big picture of her face that you see on the campaign posters.

I think perhaps it said that she got taken from her bed whilst she was sleeping or something along those lines and thats why people got angry.
Old 03-07-2007, 23:15   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Oh ok, well sorry to have perhaps offended you. I suppose a man has took her or a group as if a woman had done it by now she would've been found or wouldn't be presumed to be in the hands of paedophiles. Women who snatch children seem to snatch children simply because they cant have their own for whatever and they eventually come to their senses. Obviously I was referring to the Madeleine story, not general abductions, though I believe that most children missing in THIS country on the missing childrens website have been snatched by either fathers refused access for whatever reasons or both parents who cant have custody of their child. Very few children are reportedly snatched by women unless it is there own mothers.
No one know what has happened to Madeline McCann, and you playing amateur psychologist as to the sex of her abductors, really doesn't really help.

Although the majority of paedophiles are male, it isn't always the case. There was a woman last week in Scotland, found guilty of sexually abusing her daughter. Though rare, sadly not an isolated case.

Saying that if a woman had taken her, she would have been returned by now, is very naive.

The fact is, no one, including yourself knows what happened to this poor child.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 23:21   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No one know what has happened to Madeline McCann, and you playing amateur psychologist as to the sex of her abductors, really doesn't really help.

Although the majority of paedophiles are male, it isn't always the case. There was a woman last week in Scotland, found guilty of sexually abusing her daughter. Though rare, sadly not an isolated case.

Saying that if a woman had taken her, she would have been returned by now, is very naive.

The fact is, no one, including yourself knows what happened to this poor child.
The police seem to think she has been taken by a group of people and seem to think she's in the hands of a paedophile network. I didnt see women arent guilty of kidnappings and sex offences, i said the majority of male and the motives behind women taking children are different, just as women tend to commit petty crimes such as shoplifting where as men commit robberies/burglaries more. Its not an amateur guess, its shown in statistics.

If you wanted MY theory, i think the family are actually involved in the entire situation but the topic isnt about that anyway, so we can thank lovely less for another thread having to go off topic instead of just giving an opinion like everyone else.
Old 03-07-2007, 23:31   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I didnt see women arent guilty of kidnappings and sex offences, i said the majority of male and the motives behind women taking children are different
You didn't say that, you said this...

'I suppose a man has took her or a group as if a woman had done it by now she would've been found or wouldn't be presumed to be in the hands of paedophiles.'

As stated earlier, neither you, nor the police know what has happpened to Madeline. Stop speculating.

Old 03-07-2007, 23:36   #26
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
T

so we can thank lovely less for another thread having to go off topic instead of just giving an opinion like everyone else.
Please note as much as I may go off topic my member name is Less, not less.

P.S. I repeated an opinion that I gave right back at the beginning and had better people than you calling me cruel for it!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 23:39   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

P.S. I repeated an opinion that I gave right back at the beginning and had better people than you calling me cruel for it!
YOU SURE?
Old 03-07-2007, 23:47   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If you wanted MY theory, i think the family are actually involved in the entire situation
Any evidence you can offer to back up this claim?

Or just some hunch, based on what you've read in some school text book?

Old 03-07-2007, 23:55   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If you wanted MY theory, i think the family are actually involved in the entire situation - ----------yeh sure,they wanted an extended holiday n still had 2 kids left. if thats what intelligance does for you today forget it.

Last edited by cashman; 03-07-2007 at 23:56. Reason: space
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 05:58   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:

If you wanted MY theory, i think the family are actually involved in the entire situation but the topic isnt about that anyway, so we can thank lovely less for another thread having to go off topic instead of just giving an opinion like everyone else.
well thats the most daftest comment you have ever made on here, did you not see the state of the mother when she first went missing???

what makes you think they had anything to do with it?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..