Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Are these mothers right or wrong to be angry about the advert shown at a U rated film
They're wrong - its selfish and inconsiderate to complain about it 4 21.05%
They're right - its their right to inform their own children themselves of such things 15 78.95%
I dont have an opinion on it 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 20:44   #1
God Member

Angry mothers over Madeleine advert - are they right to be angry or not?

Just come across this news article in the Times, basically the campaign for finding madeleine has now stretched to the cinemas and they showed it before a U rated film - shrek 3. As U rating is suitable for ages 4+, young children had to hear the story of madeleine, where as obviously some parents may have chosen to not tell them about the story for fear of frightening them.

Mothers protest over Madeleine advert before showings of Shrek - Times Online

So what's your view? I think its a bit wrong as obviously a story of a little girl being snatched is quite scary when your that size and defenseless, however as suggested in the article, I guess its fair enough for it to be shown to older audiences, yet I am still opposed for caring any more about this little girl than any other missing child in the world, so it wouldn't make me keep an eye out for her anymore than any other child.

Last edited by blazey; 03-07-2007 at 20:46.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-07-2007, 20:45   #2

Re: Angry mothers over Madeleine advert - are they right to be angry or not?

Dunno. Difficult one...
Splinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 20:53   #3
Senior Member+

It's a U rated film and these kids are taken there by their folks to have an enjoyable evening at the cinema: not be scared witless by what could happen to them if they are left alone. I cannot imagine what Madeleine's parents are going thru and wouldn't wish it on anyone but this is taking it all a bit too far, they should respect the right of other parents to decide what and when to tell their children; not ram it down their throats when they least expect it.
Old 03-07-2007, 20:58   #4
Give, give, give member

I agree with Lindsay. It should be up to parents what, and how, they teach their children of life's dangers.

The little tots go to the cinema to be entertained, and could leave scarred for life after this.

Childhood is already too short, and measures should be in place to make it a happy place, before they grow up and realise what a cess pit we live in.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 20:58   #5
God Member

I think they shouldn't have to see something potentially scary at the cinema, being snatched by a bad man is potentially the making of nightmares for young children that age, particularly when its so real in front of them.

Young children normally don't even see made up films about such things without them at least the parents being told its a PG film. As Shrek obviously doesnt involve a child being snatched, parents aren't prepared for being faced with such a thing and then put on the spot to explain.
Old 03-07-2007, 20:58   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I am inclined to agree that the publicity in this case has far outweighed that of any other missing child. There are thousands of missing children out there and in some way the publicity about Madeleine may help to draw people's attention to the plight of other missing kids.
I do think that parents should be given the right to inform their own children about the dangers of this world without it being foisted onto them in the form of an advert. It seems that parental rights have been nothing but eroded over the last few years.
Therefore, I don't agree with this advert although it has obviously been made with good intent.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 20:59   #7
God Member

It's wrong to show it before a U rated film. I have explained the story a little bit to my seven year old but not to my five year old. I certainly wouldn't like it to be thrust upon them when we're out for a fun afternoon out at the cinema.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 21:01   #8
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter is 7 and she is aware of the missing McCann child's story. Naturally she sees it from a child's perspective and all she has said about it is, "Poor girl". She is aware of "stranger danger" but there are limits to what a child can grasp in a case like this.

I don't agree with an advert at the cinema, not for any affect it may have on children but because I really feel the public is being beaten to death by this campaign. I care deeply that a child has gone missing, we all care, but I don't care exclusively about this one above any others. God knows, we would all go to the ends of the Earth to find our own child if it happened to us but I don't believe making this a Cause Celebre is helpful, in fact I have a horrible feeling it's just the reverse.
Old 03-07-2007, 21:04   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
being snatched by a bad man is potentially the making of nightmares for young children that age

Without trying to wander off too much I hope parents are making children more wary than just being snatched by a man
Old 03-07-2007, 21:11   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Without trying to wander off too much I hope parents are making children more wary than just being snatched by a man
How is a child anymore wary about this story? Its not teaching children to not talk to strangers and stay with mummy, its teaching them that a man may come in and snatch them out of their beds where they should feel safe. Hence my wording. Please tell me how little Madeleine being more wary of being kidnapped would have helped the situation? She didn't go up to a stranger and accept sweets or be lured away, she was tucked in her bed where she should've been safe. How can a child protect themselves from strangers in their sleep?
Old 03-07-2007, 21:13   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

think the polls a bit chauvanist, theres dads as well, but no-way do i agree with showing it at cinemas.
Old 03-07-2007, 21:16   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
How is a child anymore wary about this story? Its not teaching children to not talk to strangers and stay with mummy, its teaching them that a man may come in and snatch them out of their beds where they should feel safe. Hence my wording. Please tell me how little Madeleine being more wary of being kidnapped would have helped the situation? She didn't go up to a stranger and accept sweets or be lured away, she was tucked in her bed where she should've been safe. How can a child protect themselves from strangers in their sleep?

I wasn't being specific to the original post, ( hence my statement about trying not to wander too much). I was making the point that when parents are telling children of stranger danger it should cover both sexes.
Old 03-07-2007, 21:19   #13
God Member

I too think it is inappropriate to show this before a U rated film.It would be acceptable for much older children and adults but not for children as young as 3.You don't want that foisted upon them when you're out for a fun time at the cinema.My 6 year old has caught bits of the story on the news but I have been spared from having to go into too much detail.It's very hard to explain to a young child.We all try to make our children aware of the dangers around us without frightening the life out of them but the trouble with this sad tale is that Madeleine did nothing wrong.She didn't run into the road,get into a car or talk to strangers,she was snatched from her bed whilst asleep.I don't want my kids to hear stories like this.It should be up to the parents how much,if any,of this story they want to tell their children,not have it thrust upon them in a cinema.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 21:23   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I wasn't being specific to the original post, ( hence my statement about trying not to wander too much). I was making the point that when parents are telling children of stranger danger it should cover both sexes.
Oh ok, well sorry to have perhaps offended you. I suppose a man has took her or a group as if a woman had done it by now she would've been found or wouldn't be presumed to be in the hands of paedophiles. Women who snatch children seem to snatch children simply because they cant have their own for whatever and they eventually come to their senses. Obviously I was referring to the Madeleine story, not general abductions, though I believe that most children missing in THIS country on the missing childrens website have been snatched by either fathers refused access for whatever reasons or both parents who cant have custody of their child. Very few children are reportedly snatched by women unless it is there own mothers.
Old 03-07-2007, 21:25   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I too think it is inappropriate to show this before a U rated film.It would be acceptable for much older children and adults but not for children as young as 3.You don't want that foisted upon them when you're out for a fun time at the cinema.My 6 year old has caught bits of the story on the news but I have been spared from having to go into too much detail.It's very hard to explain to a young child.We all try to make our children aware of the dangers around us without frightening the life out of them but the trouble with this sad tale is that Madeleine did nothing wrong.She didn't run into the road,get into a car or talk to strangers,she was snatched from her bed whilst asleep.I don't want my kids to hear stories like this.It should be up to the parents how much,if any,of this story they want to tell their children,not have it thrust upon them in a cinema.
To be fair, i can imagine 'stranger danger' and bits of the story may have been taught to children in school anyway, where they get taught about general out and about things like crossing the road and not talking to strangers, its not the cinemas duty for them to force it upon people for any reason.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..