Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 19:44   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Another Government Crackpot Initiative

Moves are afoot to lower the alcohol content to ZERO for drivers up to the age of 20.

On the face of it, it might seem like a good idea except for one tiny detail. Someone on any number of medicines would fail the breathalyser if it were at ZERO. Even someone who enjoyed a glass of wine at home with their parents during their evening meal would still be at risk the next morning.

All shades of government have been angling to reduce the limit to ZERO for yonks and this is just the thin end of a wedge to make it happen for all motorists.
Old 14-07-2008, 19:59   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Another Government Crackpot Initiative

whats the difference if ya under 20 or over?, there should be zero tolerance for ALL....if ya gonna drink DONT DRIVE
Old 14-07-2008, 20:01   #3
God Member

i think the limit is fine as it is at 1 pint but as usual the minority mainly the 1 sip is murder brigade will get their own way eventually

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:01   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
On the face of it, it might seem like a good idea
Yes I agree.

It sounds like a good idea to me too.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:02   #5
God Member

A morning gargle with Listerine will get you into a lot of trouble......
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:04   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

On the face of it, it might seem like a good idea
Seems an excellent idea to me.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:14   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Yes I agree.

It sounds like a good idea to me too.

sorry Rindy but this made me laugh.......... sounds like you have split personalities lol

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:30   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Seems an excellent idea to me.
15% of road accidents are caused by drink drivers,which equates to 85% are caused by sober drivers.So it's time to have another look at who should be on the roads.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:35   #9
Loz

It should be zero tolerance for everyone or kept as it is now.
I think its unfair to single out young drivers.
Old 14-07-2008, 20:35   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
A morning gargle with Listerine will get you into a lot of trouble......
Buy alcohol free mouthwash then.

Mouthwash containing alcohol dries your mouth out, giving you halitosis.

I agree that no alcohol at all should be drunk if you are driving.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:00   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

Why just young drivers? It should apply to everyone. I enjoy wine but I don't drink if I'm driving, not even a glass of wine with a meal. It's not such a difficult thing, to keep off the booze, no matter how old you are but - if it is - you need help.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:24   #12
God Member

would have thought that even a small amount of alcohol (glass of wine) would have more effect on an older (65 yrs + ) person than a younger person so it seems the restrictions if any should be placed on those who are a bit more 'slower' than the average population
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:34   #13

If you are intending to drink then don’t drive or else and it should be applicable to all.

I see the comments about medication/mouthwash etc. If the present alcohol analysing equipment isn’t up to scratch then cash will have to be spent.
Old 14-07-2008, 22:11   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Another Government Crackpot Initiative

No doubt the medical experts will be queuing up to jump in and tell me I’m wrong, so read carefully what is written.

My understanding is that for the average person it can take up to 48 hours for alcohol to leave the system. So that innocent bedtime drink could have serous repercussions next morning.

Although zero tolerance could be desirable isn’t going to be practical to achieve this. There are too many innocent ways to fall foul of the breathalyser. Sherry trifle. Xmas pudding. What about a pub landlord who spends hours amongst alcoholic fumes direct from the product being sold and also from the breath of the clientele. Would breathalysing him come back zero or would there be a smidgin of alcohol in his breath.
Old 15-07-2008, 08:22   #15
Resident Waffler

There would need to be guidelines for appeal in the case of things like mouthwash and cough medicines, although as has already been said it is perfectly possible to have alcohol free versions. As for sherry trifle - well I've known some people put so much sherry in it would be more like an alcohol punch and if it makes them drunk then does it really matter whether it comes in the guise of cocktail or desert?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..