Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-05-2009, 08:51   #1
God Member

Another Labour Councillor defects

It's a shame that Paul Gott has decided to resign from the Labour Party and will now be an Independent on the Council. Not that I blame him, I resigned from the Labour Party myself over 18 months ago.

What's unfortunate though is that he is allowed to do this and remain a Councillor. I believe that if you have been voted on to the Council on a Labour ticket (or even a Conservative one for that matter) and you switch sides, you should have a bye election. I don't think it's fair to the electorate to be voted in based on a manifesto that he will no longer be obliged to follow.

Paul is a good Councillor and would possibly win a bye election anyway. He's not the first either, other Councillors have done it too but I think they're short changing the people who voted for them.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2009, 09:51   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Another Labour Councillor defects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
It's a shame that Paul Gott has decided to resign from the Labour Party and will now be an Independent on the Council. Not that I blame him, I resigned from the Labour Party myself over 18 months ago.

What's unfortunate though is that he is allowed to do this and remain a Councillor. I believe that if you have been voted on to the Council on a Labour ticket (or even a Conservative one for that matter) and you switch sides, you should have a bye election. I don't think it's fair to the electorate to be voted in based on a manifesto that he will no longer be obliged to follow.

Paul is a good Councillor and would possibly win a bye election anyway. He's not the first either, other Councillors have done it too but I think they're short changing the people who voted for them.
Totally agree Gayle, irrespective of party. It also looks like things aren't to well with Labour as an ex Labour councillor is standing as independent against Jean Battle at the county elections too
Old 15-05-2009, 11:52   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

On a similar note can you be a Hyndburn Councillor and a Lancashire Councillor at the same time?
Old 15-05-2009, 12:15   #4
God Member

Yes, Jean Battle was on both for a while but stepped down from HBC. I think Miles Parkinson is on both at the moment.

Old 15-05-2009, 12:42   #5
God Member

at least he was at some point voted in unlike gordon brown

it is wrong though, they should either have to have a election or there shoudl be a rule saying you cant switch sides until the next election

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 12:55   #6
God Member

Nice chap. I was sat at his table some weeks ago at the awards evening. I wonder if he left because of disagreements nationally or locally?
Old 15-05-2009, 15:12   #7
Resting in Peace

Agree that Paul Gott got elected due to his connnection with the Labour Party, there again lots of us say we do usually vote for the person in local elections. Would have been interesting to see if he would have been returned if a bye-election were forced.

This is the Telegraph link :-

Huncoat councillor resigns from Labour over expenses anger (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Love Cllr. Britcliffe's remark at the bottom .. he doesn't miss a trick does he ?
Makes me laugh though ... gotta' give him that.

How long has Paul Gott been a councillor ? Funny, be does it now when all public opinion is disturbed by the MP's expenses ... will give him maximum support no doubt for losing confidence in National Politics
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:16   #8
God Member

pretty good tactics to abandon a sinking ship to keep your seat in the next election

call me synical but i bet most labour councilors and mps are sweating about keeping tehir positions after the mess tony blair and his crew have made of things and disassociating themselves from labour may be a good way to keep your seat

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 15-05-2009 at 15:20.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 15:35   #9
God Member

I expect that some tory MPs will not stand again at the next election because they need the expenses perks to 'keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed'.
They will look for 'city jobs' - but they are harder to get now

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 16:05   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I expect that some tory MPs will not stand again at the next election because they need the expenses perks to 'keep them in the manner to which they are accustomed'.
They will look for 'city jobs' - but they are harder to get now
Think your statement that Tories *keeping them in a manor they are accustomed" can equally apply to labour MPs too Margaret, by adding in two words "have become"
Old 15-05-2009, 16:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Nice chap. I was sat at his table some weeks ago at the awards evening. I wonder if he left because of disagreements nationally or locally?
Andrew I can conform that Paul has resigned because he does not support the Labour Party nationally.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 17:29   #12
Resting in Peace

HBC have been pretty sharp at amending their web-site I see ...still haven't changed Graham's address yet though ...
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2009, 19:50   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

All local councillors should be independant then they might actually work together for Hyndburn instead of wasting time trying to score points.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 10:53   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
All local councillors should be independent then they might actually work together for Hyndburn instead of wasting time trying to score points.
Can't agree more Bagpuss, but whilst you have party politics, things are never going to change. the problem is that the Hoy Poloy are not interested, we have plenty of people on here who have big opinions about everything, but when push comes to shove, wild horses wouldn't get them to stand and really make that difference
Old 19-05-2009, 20:15   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
All local councillors should be independant then they might actually work together for Hyndburn instead of wasting time trying to score points.
Well if Councillors keep on deserting the parties we could have a council of independents sometime soon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..