Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2005, 23:26   #1

Another Love Story

Inspired by the thread from Bagpuss, I was going to add my comments, but realised that I should not detract from that superb love story, & should perhaps add my comments on another thread........ forgive me if I have made the wrong decision!!

I first came over to this area as a 19yr old, in August 1964, from my home in Manchester, & began working at the Dunkenhalgh in Clayton-le-Moors. My intention was to gain some 'first class' experience in hotel work, so that I could eventually apply for a position on the cruise liners as a 'Bar Steward' ( no jokes please!), & eventually, see the world, without the need to join the Armed Forces.

Having previously worked at the CIS in Manchester, earning the princely sum of £4.17.6d, I was overjoyed to be offerred £8.10.00, living in, with all my food included..... once I started, I was also earning approximately £20.00 per week in tips!!(Don't tell the Taxman!)

Although working an average of 80 hrs per week, you may imagine, this fabulous wealth turned me into a bit of a 'Jack the lad'.

Until, that is, the day that this little blonde receptionist started working at the 'Dunk'!!

I lusted after her for weeks, until I eventually walked her up to the bus stop at the Load of Mischief... just as she was getting onto the bus to go home, I blurted out.....'would you like to come out with me on my next night off??'
Thankfully, her reply was positive! She had no choice, as the bus was swiftly departing!

Well, that was it!
I was determined to show her a good night out, as only the 'Mancs' could do it!

On the night itself, I started quite understated.... we caught the Ribble bus into Manchester. I then took her to one of the pubs I used to frequent, hoping to see my old mates, & show off my latest 'totty'.

Sod's law, none of them were there!!!
I decided we needed music, so put a shilling in the juke box, & invited her to select something suitable. What I didn't know at the time, was that one of her favourite groups was the Rolling Stones. And what was their current hit??
'This could be the last time'........ This, on our first date!!

Anyway, I then decided to take her to Mr Smith's, a night club I had only visited once before, with my father, in those days, the epitome of 'class' & 'good taste'!!
As it happened, the 'Turn' that night was none other than the late, great, Tommy Cooper. Any of you that only know of this great comedian from his appearances on telly will have no comprehension of what he was like 'live'.
Suffice to say, that we were both blushing for most of the night!!

Having paid for the bus, a few drinks in the Ducie Arms, a taxi across to Mr Smith's, the subsequent meal & drinks, I still had a few quid left, so suggested we take a taxi home... it cost all of £5.00!!! Those were the days!!

I must have made the right impression, we first met in Feb 1965, engaged by June 1965, married in June 1966, two days after her 21st birthday!

We now have two fabulous daughters, three beautiful grandchildren, & I couldn't wish for anything better in life, despite still living in Accrington... that wasn't in the game plan... I never got to see the world, but, no regrets whatsoever, I wouldn't change a thing!!

Would love to read other's stories......how about Willow & Busman for starters?
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-07-2005, 23:37   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Another Love Story

nice one kitchener.
Old 18-07-2005, 23:53   #3
Senior Member+

i met my husband waiting for the bus to burnley one saturday night, melbourne street, i think it was. i was on the way to the mecca with my mates. we married within the year and have two lovely kids and four grandchildren, sadly, he's not with us any more but he would be really proud of all of them
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 08:53   #4
Give, give, give member

That was fantastic. Why don't you write a blog, l bet you've got loads more good tales to tell?

Heatwarming, cheers.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 13:00   #5
Beacon of light

I wrote my love story in my blog some months ago......it took days to write and I had a few people gripped.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 20:22   #6
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiTChener
Inspired by the thread from Bagpuss
Good story with a happy ending, I'm still blushing from my thread and I'm happy I inspired you to share yours with us.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 20:48   #7

isnt love a blessing

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..