Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 08:40   #1
God Member

Question Are You A Haggler?

Just sat here enjoying my morning brew watching a BBC 1 TV show about how to get the best deals for your money when making an expensive purchase.

It's surprising how much discount the guy in the show is actually getting just by having the confidence to ask.

With the Christmas season upon us, do you haggle for the best price, discounts and extras thrown in when buying expensive items such as pc's, laptops, cameras phones or do you pay the price marked up in the shop?

If you are a haggler, do you haggle over everything to the extent you'd haggle over the price of a packet of biscuits?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:43   #2
God Member

Re: Are You A Haggler?

oh are you watching that thing with Dom on it on the beeb? i watched that yesterday and this bloke wanted a hot tub and he managed to knock the sellers down £6000, i thought it was good,i do haggle on markets but i dont think i would in a shop
Old 05-12-2006, 08:45   #3
God Member

Yeah

Just think how much money you could save each year haggleing though!!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:48   #4
God Member

hmmm i wonder if i could get the price of a ds down to a tenner
Old 05-12-2006, 08:50   #5
I am Banned

Im watching trash on tother side

I do try to haggle but dont get very far tho, my bro is good at it tho LOL
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:52   #6
God Member

i was on the market last thursday and i managed to get a toy for mi mate down from £7 to £3...but that was just pure cheekyness
Old 05-12-2006, 08:55   #7
Resident Waffler

I haggle abroad but never think of doing it here, unless it's a car boot sale or something.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:56   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
hmmm i wonder if i could get the price of a ds down to a tenner
Now that's a perfect example and yes I would haggle but I've got to do it on my own because mthead doesn't like it. He will go into one of the game shops in town for, say, my DS and pay the price it says ...... Me, with there being another game shop directly across I would play them off against one enough to get the best price possible.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:00   #9
God Member

lol i did that in september, i went to game station to look for a ps2 game for reece and found it cheaper in game...they went a pound cheaper in gamestation,then i went back to game and i ended up getting it for £3 less than it was supposed to be
Old 05-12-2006, 09:07   #10
God Member

See, that's just small amounts. Imagine how much you can save on the more expensive purchases.

I don't think I'd ever try to barter in the likes of Boots or Argos ..... but I'm sure I saw a gentleman haggling over the price of a TV in ASDA ... which surprised but impressed me.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38   #11
God Member

When I sold Hifi if someone asked for discount for cash we would automatically give up to 5% off. This was because if they paid on credit card we paid 5% in charges to the merchant services co so it was better to have cash in hand to spend on new stock. I wouldn't go over that unless there was good reason (We wanted shut of that piece of kit or if it was a VERY good customer and we knew we'd get a lot of business from it)

However we did have one bit of 'fun'

there was a young lad who tbh was a right pain in the rectum. he would come in week after week when new kit was released with a copy of What Hifi or similar and spend AGES, listening to it, comparing it with the review and generally wasting a lot of time(never buying anything). Anyhow it so happened that there was an amp released that was amazing for the money, they were like rocking horse droppings to get hold of. he came in and did the usual listen for 2 hours etc. then he asked how much to buy it, I was gobsmacked and nearly fell over! I quoted the retail price as I could sell them for that all day long. he started the "Practical Hifi will do it for £X less". Now I knew the guys there and knew they wouldn't discount this kit as there was no need to so I said, I'll do it for £Y which was £5 less than he quoted, he trundled off back to Practical to obviously try and beat them down further so I rang them up and had a natter with them, anyway, long story short, be effectively bounced him back and forward about 6 times till we got fed up, when he came to me I said, "Oh, I've just sold the last one!" so he ran back to Practical who did the same

He came back a week later and paid full price!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:51   #12
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nearly always haggle in stores got a great discount once on cushionfloor and a carpet, i take the view if i dont then i will get it somewhere else, would say approx 60% of the time it works,and if it dont then i aint lost out.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:00   #13
Resting in Peace

Once went to pc world with a mate he wanted a LCD monitor and a new chair and some other stuff came to about £400 and we had picked 2 games cd's up anyway we went to the checkout with all this stuff she rang it up and i said how about letting us have the cd's she said we cant do that .
so i said to my mate lets go and look next door so we left the stuff on the trolly and walked out just as we got to the next shop the assistant came running out after us and said that we could have the cd's and they put it down to shop damaged stock but we got 2 £20 games cd's free

PC World is not the best place to get discount or free stuff from though its hard work
there must be better places to get a bargin or discount/free stuff

Last edited by Mick; 05-12-2006 at 12:06.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:04   #14
Resting in Peace

I allways get a free extra pack of photo paper when i buy a new printer too
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:10   #15
God Member

there was a young lad who tbh was a right pain in the rectum. he would come in week after week when new kit was released with a copy of What Hifi or similar and spend AGES, listening to it, comparing it with the review and generally wasting a lot of time(never buying anything). Anyhow it so happened that there was an amp released that was amazing for the money, they were like rocking horse droppings to get hold of. he came in and did the usual listen for 2 hours etc. then he asked how much to buy it, I was gobsmacked and nearly fell over! I quoted the retail price as I could sell them for that all day long. he started the "Practical Hifi will do it for £X less". Now I knew the guys there and knew they wouldn't discount this kit as there was no need to so I said, I'll do it for £Y which was £5 less than he quoted, he trundled off back to Practical to obviously try and beat them down further so I rang them up and had a natter with them, anyway, long story short, be effectively bounced him back and forward about 6 times till we got fed up, when he came to me I said, "Oh, I've just sold the last one!" so he ran back to Practical who did the same

He came back a week later and paid full price![/quote]

ah but would you expect a discount at any shop?????

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..