Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-06-2010, 17:04   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Armed Forces Day.

was a parade in Accy Today fer what i term a very worthy cause, Paris told me there was not many folk saw it, n was very annoyed that it don't seem to have been advertised/ promoted ?also i bumped into Graham Jones outside the town hall, he was attending it, whilst i was with him 2 veterans approached him, asked what time etc, etc, his reply was he didn't know, hadn't been informed, yet was a council meeting going on at that time, i can only assume he was not told, cos he is no longer on the council? is this another own goal by our beloved leader? i ask? am i under a mistaken impression that now there is an directive about release of info? am sure someone on here will know?
Old 26-06-2010, 23:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Armed Forces Day.

I think it was mentioned in the Observer..along with the "Handing over" of the Market Hall Ceremony!...I saw both Graham Jones and Peter Britcliffe in the Market Hall during this event....suffice to say there was plenty of space between them!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 08:55   #3

I read about it on Graham Jones Blog on thursday which had a link to the event in Hyndburn with times etc.
anzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 09:04   #4
Resting in Peace

It was in the Obs on Friday, like most things are, if people care to look, I saw it so why didn't others
Old 27-06-2010, 11:27   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was in the Obs on Friday, like most things are, if people care to look, I saw it so why didn't others
Well i had to take another look, n yes you are correct, it was in "Councilllor Britcliffe"s drivel, has it ever dawned on ya, that some folk just turn the page when they see him? do ya not think it could possibly be better put in "Whats On"? or even a notice somewhere,? or perhaps our armed forces aint worth the trouble? as far as i'm concerned this should have been well promoted/ advertised, for ALL people, not just popped in fer political brownie points. still i should know better n to expect owt else.
Old 27-06-2010, 13:08   #6
Beacon of light

[quote=cashman;824650] it was in "Councilllor Britcliffe"s drivel, has it ever dawned on ya, that some folk just turn the page when they see him?

I have to admit that I do turn the page when I see PBs pudden face.

I used to read it but it was too much of himself patting himself on the back for me to stomach.

I do believe that this event could have been better promoted, after all not everyone gets the Observer, or the Telegraph for that matter.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 13:13   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well i had to take another look, n yes you are correct, it was in "Councilllor Britcliffe"s drivel, has it ever dawned on ya, that some folk just turn the page when they see him? do ya not think it could possibly be better put in "Whats On"? or even a notice somewhere,? or perhaps our armed forces aint worth the trouble? as far as i'm concerned this should have been well promoted/ advertised, for ALL people, not just popped in fer political brownie points. still i should know better n to expect owt else.
Why pay for advertising when you can get it for free, saving the council tax payers money, but of course any stick to beat the council with will do, well a Conservative council that is
Old 27-06-2010, 13:30   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Why pay for advertising when you can get it for free, saving the council tax payers money, but of course any stick to beat the council with will do, well a Conservative council that is
More drivel, torys seem to have perfected it. as ya know i will beat any ****** wi a stick if i think its earned, thats the differance.
Old 27-06-2010, 13:43   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
More drivel, torys seem to have perfected it. as ya know i will beat any ****** wi a stick if i think its earned, thats the differance.
Hell but you had a party between 86 and 99 when Labour were purported to be running the council, well it did, into the ground
Old 27-06-2010, 15:48   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Hell but you had a party between 86 and 99 when Labour were purported to be running the council, well it did, into the ground
Its really nothing to do wi who did what. more about maximising support fer our troops, but that point seems to have passed ya by.
Old 27-06-2010, 18:18   #11

Prior to this year it has been the practice to invite all County Councillors (who represent LCC districts within the borough of Hyndburn) to the official Mayor Making ceremony. This year this did not happen and Graham Jones (who is county councillor for Accrington South) was not invited to the Mayor Making ceremony but the county councillor for Accrington West was present at the ceremony in the Town Hall - so must have been informed of the date and time.

Also Hyndburn Council's Civic Protocol (link below)
http://www.hyndburnbc.gov.uk/site/sc...php?fileID=620
states that only the MP takes precedence before any Hyndburn Councillors. This was not followed in the parade and Graham actually ended up walking towards the back of the parade -when he should have been one of the people leading the parade.

As well as not being official informed of the parade, Graham was not notified that wreaths were to laid at the Pals memorial - which I an sure was done deliberately to try to embarrass him. This tactic did not work as the Labour Group made sure that they purchased a wreath for Graham to lay.

Despite what some people would like Graham is our MP and should be treated with respect by the Leader of the Council.

Last edited by claytonender; 27-06-2010 at 18:21.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2010, 18:19   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
I appreciate your partisanship but Labour built the Globe Centre when rate capped and when the Housing Revenue Account was being bled dry.

The current council have failed to achieve very much, if anything. The statistics are going backward when funding was being pumped in.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..