Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-03-2024, 13:07   #46
Senior Member+

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Was not really critical of your opinions was a more generalised reflection.

You tend to be rather suspicious of technology and social media on a whole. It does not surprise me you are wary of ai. I do think you have valid points and they are well founded.

It's hard to explain but the more we interact with each other (humans that is) and the more we learn and grow, many variables lead to us forming opinions.

There is a lot to say around collective conscieness. So to speak.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Old 19-03-2024, 14:15   #47
Beacon of light

Rob, I did not want you to think I was being critical of you….i just wanted to know how you thought I might have been influenced.

Yes, you are right, the more we interact with each other and the more we learn…and everyone has the ability to teach us something….whether it is about life or about ourselves.

AI has the ability/potential to learn….and this is the concern.
If AI develops reasoning skills then that MiGHT have a negative impact on the human race.
The other concern of mine is that if we rely on things that mean we do not need to think…then we will stop thinking…and that could be dangerous.

Already we see people carrying mobile phones…in essence these have (for some people) all aspects of their lives…they do not need to remember numbers, dates, facts.
There needs to be ethical examination of AI models….already we can see the use of Algorithms in everyday life…sometimes these algorithms have bias written into them.

There is also a worry that AI could be weaponised by hostile countries or agents….so AI is a worry.
I used to think that by the time it arrived I would have left the planet, but now I am not so sure about that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 14:23   #48
Beacon of light

I consider Stephen Hawking to be an extremely intelligent individual….an intellect far greater than anything I will ever be.
He has expressed concerns about the future of the world with AI in it….so I am with him because he is brainy!
Old 19-03-2024, 14:57   #49
Senior Member+

I never thought anything negative or that you were being critical. Just enjoying the discussion

Old 19-03-2024, 17:44   #50
Beacon of light

Yes Rob, I was enjoying the discussion too.
That is something that I have missed about the forum.
Respectful discussions have been very thin on the ground here of late.
So thank you for your participation.
Restless likes this.
Old 20-03-2024, 12:50   #51
Senior Member+

I don't think it's the site as such. It's just not frequented as It once was.

I think respect in general is close to none existent.

The other day I had to return to Skipton to replace a ipad case that was mislabeled and was the wrong size. Well. Waiting for the bus I'm the first person there. Automatic doors are closed whilst people waiting for the bus. The kids behind me (teenagers) walked out and around the outside to stand outside the doors to go first. Bus came doors opened and I said I've been waiting 20 mins and you're just going to walk around and skip the queue.

He says " what's your point"

I said the point is you're an ignorant c...

...Needless to say I was angry

Yes I still have anger issues. I always try to be polite, kind and respectful to people.

Times always a changin

Old 20-03-2024, 16:50   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

you did right far as im concerned.
Old 20-03-2024, 20:00   #53
Beacon of light

I had that happen in Blackburn.
I missed the 152 by a midges widgie….i sat and waited for 29 minutes.
A couple of college students….a male and a female walked straight to the front of the queue.
I tapped the young man on his shoulder and asked him if he understood the concept of queueing. I told him those who come last don’t get to get on the bus first.

He looked a bit gobstruck and I expected a mouthful of bad language, but he just walked to the back of the queue with his girlfriend.
I think that often people let this behaviour pass without challenging it…and that is part of the problem.
Old 24-03-2024, 10:26   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Ive read the book prior to watching the film. The film is a pretty good adaptation. I wouldn't call it scifi though

Well it's after a nuclear war...or something I think. So could be sci-fi though I've not read the book. The film is very gripping.

It's probably better to read the book before any film version. I tried it with Harry Potter but gave up. Though I did manage the Hobbit, but not Lord of the Rings!

Blade Runner is another one based on a book...Do Androids dream of Electric Sheep?

Last edited by kestrelx; 24-03-2024 at 10:31.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 21:31   #55
Senior Member+

Quote:
Was not really critical of your opinions was a more generalised reflection.

You tend to be rather suspicious of technology and social media on a whole. It does not surprise me you are wary of ai. I do think you have valid points and they are well founded.

It's hard to explain but the more we interact with each other (humans that is) and the more we learn and grow, many variables lead to us forming opinions.

There is a lot to say around collective conscieness. So to speak.

A couple of weeks ago I was in a hospital visiting somebody. Music was playing through a smart speaker provided by the hospital. The person I was visiting just said "I like Ice-cream!" Suddenly the music stopped playing and a female voice started saying what ice cream was! It suddenly stopped and the music continued! I asked the nurse was it a smart speaker and told her what happened! She said it's only supposed to speak when you say "Alexa" first. No one said that name.
Old 08-04-2024, 10:37   #56
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
A couple of weeks ago I was in a hospital visiting somebody. Music was playing through a smart speaker provided by the hospital. The person I was visiting just said "I like Ice-cream!" Suddenly the music stopped playing and a female voice started saying what ice cream was! It suddenly stopped and the music continued! I asked the nurse was it a smart speaker and told her what happened! She said it's only supposed to speak when you say "Alexa" first. No one said that name.
Likely a word in the song resembled Alexa.

Old 09-04-2024, 11:59   #57

Microsoft is setting up an AI R&D centre in London (1). They may have got this wrong. The greatest problems with the currently available AI is the total lack of 'proper judgment' in the results it returns. If they plan to work on fixing this they will be working in an area which in humans is called 'common sense'. If this is the case they should set up in an area famed for its 'common sense' i.e. 'up north'.

(1) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ger7j9vzpo
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 13:33   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Likely a word in the song resembled Alexa.

I doubt it, for that to be correct Alexa and Ice-cream, would have to be all part of the same sentence!

Some people reported hearing mad laughter coming out of Alexa smart speakers in the middle of the night!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..