Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree22Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2024, 19:15   #31
Full Member
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

My jobs safe from AI, unless it can pick up a screwdriver
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-03-2024, 08:34   #32
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Artificial Intelligence

I am not sure any job will be safe from AI.
Aren’t, robots programmed using AI?
Artificially intelligence is something that can be incorporated into many aspects of our life….as such it should be considered something of a threat.
Maybe AI has attributes that COULD be used for good, but it also has many more that could harm us.(that is just my opinion on how I see it at present)

Restless you asked ChatGPT to interpret lyrics of a song and it did, but it did not tell you anything that you did not already know….so it added nothing to your knowledge.All it did was spit out the obvious.
__________________
The world will not be destroyed by evil people...
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2024, 07:34   #33
Full Member
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

My younger son is retraining as a Primary school teacher. He was saying last week that, in spite of signing a disclosure at the beginning of the course to say that they would not use AI, a number of the younger students are openly saying that they use it in their essays and some of the older ones are saying that they use it to collect the information they need but then rewriting it so that they can pass it off as their own work. I worry about what this means ffor children in the future if those teaching them can't be bothered to out the necessary work in.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2024, 23:23   #35
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not sure any job will be safe from AI.
Aren’t, robots programmed using AI?
Artificially intelligence is something that can be incorporated into many aspects of our life….as such it should be considered something of a threat.
Maybe AI has attributes that COULD be used for good, but it also has many more that could harm us.(that is just my opinion on how I see it at present)

Restless you asked ChatGPT to interpret lyrics of a song and it did, but it did not tell you anything that you did not already know….so it added nothing to your knowledge.All it did was spit out the obvious.
Yes. It did spit out the obvious and I am not sure if you're actually downplaying the significance of deciphered the meaning. The ai stuff is in its early days. I think it is pretty impressive

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 02:22   #36
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Artificial Intelligence

Maybe I am too suspicious of it to be impressed.
Yes it is early days and now is the time that the foreseen dangers should be addressed.
It might have the potential to do good, but I also see in it the potential for harm….well unless moves are made to check how it can be used.
__________________
The world will not be destroyed by evil people...
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 12:24   #37
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Maybe I am too suspicious of it to be impressed.
Yes it is early days and now is the time that the foreseen dangers should be addressed.
It might have the potential to do good, but I also see in it the potential for harm….well unless moves are made to check how it can be used.
I think works of fiction have a lot to answer for regarding suspicions and misgivings towards ai.

The danger is not with AI in my opinion but with AI misused by the worst of humanity.

My concerns at this time are using ai programs for scamming and entrapment.

If I had enough of your voice I could(in theory) make a recording of your stating something out of character.

I don't know if you have heard ai cover versions of songs. For example people have created data sets of Kurt cobain from stems of tracks and with that access to that dataset I could make Kurt Cobain sing any song you like. The results are varied. Some are very convincing.

As time will go by with enough data on someone. Fake video footage could be generated. I've seen it already with Elon musk scams

The true worry always has been humans and their capability for harm

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 13:55   #38
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Artificial Intelligence

Rob I do not read the kind of fiction that would be influenced by AI….tudor history doesn’t really feature AI.

I have had a phone call several times recently. It does not sound like a robotic voice.it sounds like a real person.
He is named variously Mark, Martin, Matthew and says he is working for an energy firm


and their team is fitting roof insulation in our area….(the voice is the same regardless of the name) he asks me what sort of roof insulation we have. In the past I told him the normal fibre glass…but after a few of these samey calls I decided I would say something ridiculous just to see if this was a real person.
So the last time when he asked that question I said ‘elephants’.
A totally daft answer that would have provoked a different response to the one I got, which was ‘oh OK…so would you like a free no obligation estimate from one of our team?’

Now I do not know if this was AI or some other kind of computer algorithm, but it definitely was not human.

And yes, you do recognise that AI can be used by the worst of humanity…but then a lot of those are in positions of power in huge organisations.

AI learns….and it maybe that we cannot accurately or efficiently regulate WHAT it learns.
Scamming and entrapment might be the least of our worries when considering AI
So I think I will retain my healthy level of suspicion.
__________________
The world will not be destroyed by evil people...
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 18-03-2024 at 13:57.
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 14:42   #39
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

I don't think one necessarily has to read and watch this type of fiction to be affected by it.



Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 14:44   #40
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Rob I do not read the kind of fiction that would be influenced by AI….tudor history doesn’t really feature AI.

I have had a phone call several times recently. It does not sound like a robotic voice.it sounds like a real person.
He is named variously Mark, Martin, Matthew and says he is working for an energy firm


and their team is fitting roof insulation in our area….(the voice is the same regardless of the name) he asks me what sort of roof insulation we have. In the past I told him the normal fibre glass…but after a few of these samey calls I decided I would say something ridiculous just to see if this was a real person.
So the last time when he asked that question I said ‘elephants’.
A totally daft answer that would have provoked a different response to the one I got, which was ‘oh OK…so would you like a free no obligation estimate from one of our team?’

Now I do not know if this was AI or some other kind of computer algorithm, but it definitely was not human.

And yes, you do recognise that AI can be used by the worst of humanity…but then a lot of those are in positions of power in huge organisations.

AI learns….and it maybe that we cannot accurately or efficiently regulate WHAT it learns.
Scamming and entrapment might be the least of our worries when considering AI
So I think I will retain my healthy level of suspicion.
Oh and I thought you read mills and boon

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 21:45   #41
Senior Member+
 
kestrelx's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I decided to get chat gpt to interpret one of my songs "the road"

The lyrics you provided seem to express a journey of struggle with addiction, recovery, and the desire to protect someone else from going down the same destructive path. Here's an interpretation based on the themes presented:

The speaker reflects on their own experiences of being trapped in addiction ("I've been down that road way too many times, I've been on that road for way too long"). They acknowledge that for some people, there seems to be no way out ("For some there is no escape"). The speaker then expresses concern for someone they care about, perhaps a younger person ("And now I am afraid for you little one").

The allure of addiction is described as deceptive ("They say that road is oh so attractive, It's all fluorescent lights"). The speaker warns that appearances can be deceiving, as addiction can lead to a destructive cycle of dependency ("They lie to your eyes, You'll learn to love the need, For the drink and the drugs, To light your way through the nights").

Having gone through recovery ("Now that I'm clean"), the speaker acknowledges that outwardly, they may appear to have overcome their addiction ("From what can be seen"). However, they also recognize that there are internal scars and struggles that remain ("But honey you should see, The dirt on the inside"). Despite this, the speaker wants to offer hope and reassurance to the person they care about ("If I could wipe the slate clean, I could show you, You no longer have to be afraid, Of living alone").

Overall, these lyrics convey the challenges of addiction, the deceptive nature of its allure, the difficulties of recovery, and the desire to protect others from experiencing similar hardships.



Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Have you seen the sci-fi film called The Road...about a father and his son after an apocalypse in America!?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 07:38   #42
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Artificial Intelligence

No Rob I like historical fiction and I think I have read everything Phillips Gregory has written…and Jean Plaidy.
I take issue with your point that you can’t be affected unless you read the kind of stuff that features AI.
I think AI will be detrimental to creativity, to education…it stops people from thinking for themselves…and there appears already to be a lack of critical thought and analysis.
If we let AI tell us what IT thinks something means(like those lyrics) then we run the risk of becoming ‘thought lazy’.
I am just saying what my thoughts and opinions are…but of course everyone is free to choose how they see this issue.
__________________
The world will not be destroyed by evil people...
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 11:29   #43
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No Rob I like historical fiction and I think I have read everything Phillips Gregory has written…and Jean Plaidy.
I take issue with your point that you can’t be affected unless you read the kind of stuff that features AI.
I think AI will be detrimental to creativity, to education…it stops people from thinking for themselves…and there appears already to be a lack of critical thought and analysis.
If we let AI tell us what IT thinks something means(like those lyrics) then we run the risk of becoming ‘thought lazy’.
I am just saying what my thoughts and opinions are…but of course everyone is free to choose how they see this issue.
I didn't say you can't be affected.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 11:32   #44
Senior Member+

 
Restless's Avatar
 

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Have you seen the sci-fi film called The Road...about a father and his son after an apocalypse in America!?
Ive read the book prior to watching the film. The film is a pretty good adaptation. I wouldn't call it scifi though

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 12:38   #45
Beacon of light

 
Margaret Pilkington's Avatar
Re: Artificial Intelligence

No you didn’t…but that was the gist of the comment.
So how do you consider that I am influenced by it Rob?
This is a genuine question…it is not a criticism of your comment.
__________________
The world will not be destroyed by evil people...
It will be destroyed by those who stand by and do Nothing.
(a paraphrase on a quote by Albert Einstein)
Margaret Pilkington is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 18:53.


© 2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1