Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2010, 20:31   #1
Senior Member+

Audit Commission

The Coalition Government is to abolish the Audit Commission, the watchdog for waste and inefficiency in government.

It raises the question as to who advised them to do this, as surely the best placed organisation to do so would be.....the Audit Commission themselves.

But turkeys rarely vote for Christmas. do they!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2010, 21:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Audit Commission

Were they operative during the Blair/Brown administaration? Did they acheive anything during that period when no doubt they were receiving substantial salaries/expenses
Old 14-08-2010, 00:12   #3
God Member

The Audit Commission has not been abolished.. the name may change but the commission is to be replaced with a new private company which will be subsidised by the government for the next 4 years.
And so bye bye the Audit Commission..but a good day to cover the bad news that the defence budget will be cut by a massive 30%..now am I the only one that thinks if the last Government had even hinted at defence cuts there would be hell to pay in the press, and on this forum?...those that like to make excuses for this government can maybe explian why there should be cuts in defence.. will your argument be that Labour spent to much on defence?..prey tell.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 09:10   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The Audit Commission has not been abolished.. the name may change but the commission is to be replaced with a new private company which will be subsidised by the government for the next 4 years.
And so bye bye the Audit Commission..but a good day to cover the bad news that the defence budget will be cut by a massive 30%..now am I the only one that thinks if the last Government had even hinted at defence cuts there would be hell to pay in the press, and on this forum?...those that like to make excuses for this government can maybe explain why there should be cuts in defence.. will your argument be that Labour spent to much on defence?..prey tell.
There's a big difference in spending money and spending it wisely, Labour have never been backward when it comes to spending money they haven't got, take the private initiative funding for hospitals, the expense has now spiraled out of all proportions an overspend of around £65 billion and still rising. The country has, after 13 years of profligate spend by Labour, to start spending money wisely not throwing it about like confetti, unfortunately it appears that Mancie is the only one not to realise that, maybe when he sobers up the truth might just come and bite him on the bum
Old 14-08-2010, 12:13   #5
Beacon of light

John I think it will be a cold day in hell when that event happens.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 13:51   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
John I think it will be a cold day in hell when that event happens.
Cold Margaret, it'll have frozen over
Old 14-08-2010, 22:18   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
unfortunately it appears that Mancie is the only one not to realise that, maybe when he sobers up the truth might just come and bite him on the bum
Same old rubbish and really quite sad...to make cuts of 30% on defence could well mean more than just a "bite on the bum" in the future for this country.
Old 14-08-2010, 22:28   #8
Super Moderator

Would agree with Mancie. The present government sre contemplating a 20% cut in army helicopters. Now, it doesn't seem five minutes ago since the Tories in opposition were complaining about our troops not having enough helicopters. What makes it even more scandalous is that Cameron has ring-fenced the overseas aid budget, so countries like India and Pakistan which can afford to blow money on nuclear weapons are receiving cash hand outs from us. Go figure.
Old 14-08-2010, 22:37   #9
God Member

Why oh why do we as a nation need to dole out money that we can ill afford??? Sorry but it is just so ridiculous to send x-amount of aid when we are struggling to keep afloat. Means nought who is in power, this country can't afford to lend/bail out anybody else!!!
Old 15-08-2010, 09:52   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Same old rubbish and really quite sad...to make cuts of 30% on defence could well mean more than just a "bite on the bum" in the future for this country.
Well a 30% cut in Defence spending would have been banner headlines on every newspaper Tabloid or Broad Sheet and would have been lead story on news channels on the BBC ITV Sky CNN etc. yet I watched the BBC news yesterday morning from 6am to 9am and not one word, I know people who like an odd tipple or two sometimes see pink elephants crawling up the bed, seems your pink elephants are Tory Cuts Mancie
Old 15-08-2010, 13:25   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well a 30% cut in Defence spending would have been banner headlines on every newspaper Tabloid or Broad Sheet and would have been lead story on news channels on the BBC ITV Sky CNN etc. yet I watched the BBC news yesterday morning from 6am to 9am and not one word,
Well seems I got the figures wrong....it's a 20% cut.. it's not so long ago the Tories were complaining about lack of resources for our troops... the lying scumbags!

BBC News - Liam Fox unveils plans for 'leaner' Ministry of Defence
Old 15-08-2010, 13:25   #12
Beacon of light

BBC News - Liam Fox unveils plans for 'leaner' Ministry of Defence

Jaysay I found this news item published just a couple of days ago.

I am amazed to learn that there are just 100,000 in the serving forces, but 85,000 civil servants.

When people mention slashing the defence budget, I think it needs to be looked at closely and with an analytical eye to determine where the cuts are going to be.

I do not know enough about the nuts and bolts of this item to feel confident to comment.......other than perhaps ask, why would a party in power put the nation at risk?
Old 15-08-2010, 13:28   #13
Beacon of light

Mancie, it appears that you have also looked at the same article, does it not say in the opening paragraph that they are looking to make the services 'Leaner' but they are looking to achieve this by reducing the number of civil servants and high ranking officers?
Old 15-08-2010, 13:35   #14
Beacon of light

I have looked at this article again, and can see nothing which details any loss of resources to the fighting troops.
When in power, the Labour government did not have a very good track record on providing our troops with adequate resources, resources which were safe and suitable for the job in hand.
And while you put the cuts at 20%, the article actually states that the cuts to the budget are to be between 10 and 20%.

Now I am not saying that I agree with any of this...but it does nothing for your argument to sensationalise the headlines by exaggeration.
Old 15-08-2010, 13:36   #15

I really wonder just how the Coalition government have really had time to assess the finances before announcing all these cuts. I just think it is a perfect excuse for them to force their ideology of private business and finance, with little or no state support, on the British people.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..