Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-06-2005, 21:21   #1
Senior Member+

Battle of Trafalgar

IT'S 200 years since Nelson died at the Battle of Trafalgar, heroically saving Britain from a French invasion and a harsh regime of pavement cafes, fantastic cheap restaurants and art-house movies.

Did any of your relations fight in the battle? I had one on the english side but with a French name
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/trafalgarancestors

Last edited by Bazf; 22-06-2005 at 21:24.
Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-06-2005, 23:15   #2
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Re: Battle of Trafalgar

god i dont know who me grannys ancesters are never mind the ones in 1805!!
Old 22-06-2005, 23:21   #3
Member.

Nice one Bazf, I've not seen this before. I'll enjoy looking at this. It's a shame that Trafalgar day is gone and forgotten. Maybe it should come back in to use.........

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 07:52   #4

An interesting site,according to it I had 13 namesakes at Trafalgar with one on board the Victory,Shiver me timbers.
I'll splice the mainbrace on the strength of that!

Last edited by Lampman; 23-06-2005 at 07:55.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 10:16   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well found bazf,i had 2 name sakes,don't know if they were relatives- but if they were they probably started it lol
Old 23-06-2005, 10:49   #6
Super Moderator

Cheers for that, Bazf. Found one paternal and a few maternal namesakes there. Don't know if they're my ancestors, but I would like to think that at least a couple of them are.

I think that Trafalgar Day should be a bank holiday. If the government don't want to give us an extra day, then move the May Day holiday. I'll certainly be raising a glass or two to Vice Admiral Nelson on October 21st. A true British hero!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 11:26   #7

I found quite a few namesakes. Three of which came from Lancashire whether they are my ancestors or not I don't know
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 16:10   #8
Give, give, give member

No but my great, great, great..................................great Aunt used to sharpen the swords on Boadicea/ Boudicca's chariot's wheels.

Battle of Blue Water Shopping Experience.

1,973 years 17th July. Less we never forget.

Last edited by garinda; 23-06-2005 at 16:11.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2005, 17:15   #9

Richard Dickinson aged 27 born in Manchester, Lancashire, England.
Ship: HMS Thunderer
Rank/Rating: Landsman
wow i never thoughtof my family to be fighters
Old 27-06-2005, 09:54   #10
Super Moderator

I suppose you could almost have predicted this in modern-day Britain...the re-enactment of the Battle of Trafalgar due to take place in the Solent will be between the reds and the blues...not Britain, France and Spain. Anna Tribe, 75, the great, great, great granddaughter of Vice-Admiral Nelson has branded it as "pretty stupid" and "politically correct". I wonder what the great man himself would have said?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 11:25   #11
Senior Member+

"I see no ships"?

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 12:20   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlon24
"I see no ships"?
They’ve all been sunk mate, whilst Mr Bush, Sorry Mr Blare was talking to is Community partners the frogs crept up the Solent disguised as Reds and had it away with old Nelsons modern-day counterparts. Don’t worry, when our common market friends have finished helping our idiotic Government in humiliating the memory of a true British Hero and his people they will let us have them back.

We need to take back our Pride and display our Patriotism and fly our true Colours……

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2005, 13:10   #13
Resting in peace

Found a Joseph Pendergast in Temeraire - could be related, as he came from Waterford, where some of my family came from. Unlikely to be an ancestor, unless he was an early starter, because the poor soul seems to have died at the age of 20.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..