Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2005, 10:48   #1
I am Banned

BBC to increase TV licence fee

BBC BOSSES have been summoned to a meeting with Gordon Brown next week after politicians and viewers groups attacked the Corporation’s bid to increase the licence fee by nearly 50 per cent by 2013.

The BBC asked for the Government yesterday to approve an annual increase in the licence fee of inflation plus 2.3 per cent — higher than expected — to help to fund new services and cut down on repeats.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...821904,00.html

Errr its not like they get enough money !!!!!!!

Last edited by accymel; 12-10-2005 at 10:51. Reason: Link edit
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-10-2005, 10:57   #2
white rabbits

Re: BBC to increase TV licence fee

sickening isnt it!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:59   #3
I am Banned

Well they put enough rubbish & repeats on at the prices we are paying now!!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:00   #4
Give, give, give member

I really can't understand why in this day and age one company the BBC, is basically a nationalised company funded by everyone who watches television. They should have to be self funding like every other company. If that means advertising so be it.

Interesting to read that the taxi bill for BBC television centre in Shepherds Bush last year was £600,000. That's just a small part of the beeb. How much more of the licence payers money is being squandered on 'benefits' to it's staff? In the report I read some of these trips were to go shopping in their lunch breaks.

If anybody comes back with the fact that they produce quality television, why did they poach Graham Norton from Channel 4 for a package worth 3 million pounds. Attracting personalities nurtured on other channels and copying shows from commercial channels in the hope of good ratings isn't why they are funded by the licence fee.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:00   #5
I am Banned

Actually having a think about it ITV is much better at new shows & programming entertainment & they arn't part of licence fee am i right theres is advertisements that they fund from?
Old 12-10-2005, 11:05   #6
I am Banned

Very good point Garinda, they do launder it on over flash benefits to the staff though it amazes me that other analogue channels like ch4, vh5 & Itv can still pull off some great personalities & programming & yet arn't trying to squander more money like the Beeb certainly from viewing public whom i recon pay enough! Gee on £1 per £1 skyv BBC i get better moneys worth through sky subscription!
Old 12-10-2005, 11:18   #7
Give, give, give member

Yes new programmes are funded by the licence fee, they are advertised on the BBC, then you find you can't even watch the bloody thing unless you've paid to have access to digital channels.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:21   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Yes new programmes are funded by the licence fee, they are advertised on the BBC, then you find you can't even watch the bloody thing unless you've paid to have access to digital channels.
Funny enough i had that exact same arguement with the TV licience dept the book was passed that it was sky's fault but still wont make any difference to the licence fee, they are money grabbing gits specially when they send you a red threatening letter because you is late by 2 days!!!

Last edited by accymel; 12-10-2005 at 11:22.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:29   #9
Give, give, give member

They already have advertisments on anyway- for themselves. At the end of every programme there is a two minute trailer for another of their programmes.

That stupid film at the begining of programmes as well, were you've got Brazilian street dancers on top of tower blocks in red shirts, or people dancing in wheel chairs, cost millions pounds of our money when they decided they needed rebranding.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:39   #10
I am Banned

Mmmmmm annother good point why bother to have fancy dancers & whatnots to beginnings of programmes ?? the viewer isn't interested in that other than waiting for dancers to finish & programme to start - stupid idea LOL
Old 12-10-2005, 12:37   #11
God Member

When it comes to money being wasted the BBC is second only to the govenment. Do we see any real returns......err not lately anyway just big money for the bosses, crap programs and repeats. And they cannot belive people dont want to watch the BBC they too dense of mind to see why?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:55   #12
I am Banned

Well it is owned or co owned by Gov really or else would they wanna send you to prison for non payment of licence 2nd to council tax
Old 12-10-2005, 13:35   #13
Senior Member+

I think you should get a choice if you watch BBC then maybe you should pay a small fee but if you dont wish to view it then you should not have to pay for a licence, make it a pay per view channal.

Its rather rediculas that you have to pay a licence fee and then pay for a sky subscription ontop after all theres not a great deal of chance that you will watch BBC when you have over 50 other channels to choose from.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 13:40   #14
I am Banned

Very true Mummiboo it is rediculous maybe they should ask their viewers if they feel they get value for money....... mmmm think not.
Old 12-10-2005, 16:07   #15
God Member

Its about time aunty had to fight with the other tv and satalitte stations for our hard earned money. Privatise it and see if we get a better service.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..