Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 14:16   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Be Thankful This Is Not You!

Read this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6122190.stm and remember that all your problems are NOTHING compared to this.
Old 08-11-2006, 14:29   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Be Thankful This Is Not You!

I'm sure there are lots of great kids like that caring for their parents, but where the hell are social services? That child, and children like him, need support to enjoy his childhood, as well as help his Mum.

Social services seem to poke their noses in where it isn't wanted, and people that could genuinely do with some support get forgotten.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:34   #3
Resident Waffler

It sounds like the mother hadn't wanted to involve social services.

Quote:
She finally phoned social services for help after an incident in which she collapsed and knocked her head and then lay unconscious for a while with Michael looking after her.
Perhaps she was afraid her son might have been taken into care.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:37   #4
Give, give, give member

Good for Dr Barnardos for helping the child have some respite.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 15:42   #5
God Member

Last summer we ran a week's long arts retreat for 50 young carers. For 5 days they were immersed in all sorts of arts activities - from painting, drawing, mask making, drumming, music, sculpture, willow working and tons more.

All of the young people were able to get away from the responsibility of looking after a parent for a brief period. Whilst they were away the social services brought in additional people to look after the parents.

I wasn't personally involved in the project but it was one of the most worthwhile projects we've ever been involved in. From all accounts these children blossomed whilst being allowed to be children, in some cases, for the first time in their lives.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 15:53   #6

It just makes you realise that you have it relatively easy, doesn't it. I hope that that young lad, and many many more who have to do this sort of thing day in and day out, one day get their reward. In fact someone with loads of money (i.e. Bill Gates, Richrad Branson, Garinda etc) should put their hands in their very big pockets and give these kids a christmas to remember.
Old 08-11-2006, 15:56   #7
God Member

Sorry Jambutty but that is an incredibly morbid way to start a thread about such an inspiring story!
Yes people make mountains out of molehills everyday, it's human nature.
Surely though the emphasis should be on the amazing nature of this little boy rather than pointing the finger at everyone elses lives!

Last edited by shakermaker; 08-11-2006 at 16:01. Reason: spelling mistake
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 16:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Surely though the emphasis should be on the amazing nature of this little boy rather than pointing the finger at everyone elses lives!
I have to say I totally agree with you Shakermaker............. and that's a first
Old 08-11-2006, 16:10   #9
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Excellently put.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 16:30   #10
God Member

I know what its like to be a carer and its hard enough being an adult and caring for someone but to be a child and care for their mum or dad is harder still. When you are an adult carer you do get a lot of help because you ask for it and also you know you wont be taken away from your family. When you are a child carer you are scared that you will be taken away from your family and that you wont see them again. You also have to go to school and when you come home do your homework. Just think back to when you were a kid and what you used to do when you came home from school - you would go out and play with your mates. Child carers cant do that - they are doing housework, making tea, if they have siblings then theyre keeping an eye on them. I respect Child carers a lot more than adult ones - for the simple reason adult carers have had a childhood and freedom - child carers dont. Dont get me wrong though i respect all carers its just that child carers dont get a lot of attention most of them cant speak out for themselves or they dont know where to go.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:43   #11
Senior Member+

A few years ago after an operation on my toes i became seriously infected to the point that i was looking at amputations. After being rushed back into hospital and later discharged i had to have district nurses every other day for 3 months for my dressings. I couldnt walk or put any weight on my feet. Alec was the one who for 3 months had to do everything for me, ...cooking, cleaning, aiding me to the toilet, helping me out of the bath etc and i wasnt entitled to any help. Believe you me, we had some very interesting meals

I really do feel for these kids, they do it out of loyalty and love and i bet they never do once moan or groan about the situation they are in. I know Alec didnt. At my worst times he slept on the floor next to me as much as i objected to him doing i couldnt get out of bed to move him.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:53   #12
I am Banned

Its not only kids caring for severe disablement & ill parents but theres a lot of kids having to care or sort themselves out due to parents being at the pub, alcholics, drug users & lack of parental care with negligence & abuse, you will be surprised again it goes un noticed or unacted upon by social sevices or the child themselves protect/cover themselves from being removed from their parents even how bad it is.

Again its not the childs fault for this situ either.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 20:56   #13
Passed away 25-11-09

I had a friend who had epilepsy and had frequent fits, sometimes half a dozen in a day. When her epilepsy was at its worst she had a small daughter and baby twins. At the onset of a fit the little girl would wait until her mummy was on the floor then push her on to her side. If mummy was holding one of the babies she would pick it up and place it, carefully, beside her on the floor. Then she would wait, calmly, until her mummy came round and would sit stroking her head until she was able to function again. At this time the child was about 3 years old.

This wasn't a family where a child had to cope alone but daddy had to work for a living and the little girl had to know what to do. She was one of the many magnificent children who function in circumstances that would defeat many adults. She's nearly 40 years old now - and she's a lovely, caring, capable nurse.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..