Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 11:42   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Question Who Will Be First? Who Will Be Last?

Last nights Horizon programme full of ifs, buts and maybes about a possible worldwide pandemic, did bring one major point to light.

In the event of a worldwide pandemic of some sort but not necessarily avian flu, even if every country worked together selflessly, it would take time to produce a vaccine for those not infected and a cure for those already stricken.

However once a vaccine/cure has been identified it would take more time to produce enough of the vaccine/cure to treat every human being in the world. So someone will have to be first and someone will have to be last.

OK! I accept that most if not all countries will not export any medication until their own citizens have been taken care of, although if god Blair runs true to form he will be offering vaccine to the third world (in an attempt to gain world status Brownie points) with half the UK population dying, so my question relates just to the UK.

So who should be first and WHY? Which group should have absolute priority in receiving treatment? Which group should be second and so on?

Bearing in mind that come next April 24th I will have completed my three score years and ten I would suggest that:
The pharmaceutical industry that is producing the vaccine/cure and prescription drugs. There is not much point in continuing this list if there is no one to produce the vaccine/cure.
All doctors, nurses and paramedics because the sick would have nowhere to go and no one to treat them.
The police and fire service to maintain law and order and to help clear up the carnage that a panic could engender.
The armed forces including the TA, to aid the police and fire service in their task and to distribute the medication to where and when it is needed.
The energy supply industry to ensure the continued supply of vital energy particularly to hospitals.
All adults with dependant children still at school but not at college or university. Parents who teach their children at home would be included.
Personnel involved in the burial or cremation of the deceased. Unburied/uncremated bodies will be as much a health hazard as the pandemic.
The remainder on a first come first served basis by appointment with their GP.

A second question! If a pandemic of massive proportions does strike what do you think the reality of a vaccination programme would be? I feel that it would be a case of “stand back you cowardly ordinary people, we come first”.

The queen and her entourage.
The aristocracy.
MP’s and Whitehall mandarins.
Captains of industry and the rich.
Local authority councillors and Town Hall staff.
Police, fire, armed forces and health workers.
And so on down the line.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:50   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Who Will Be First? Who Will Be Last?

First let it be Less then he can keep nagging the pharmeceutical bods to keep producing.

Last - ooh that's a toughie, how about Tony (we have no emergency situation) Blair?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:57   #3
God Member

Well that would some it up. If your face and cash fit you get the lifesaving jab, but if not you takes your chances and fingers crossed you can get the vaccine for your kids if affected wife if you have on and then yourself. Now thats how I myself look at it but in reality if its available it should go to;

Medical personel
Emergency services (police ambulance fire brigade not AA and RAC)
Military personel (those with medical training first)
Cremetorium staff (too many bodies to bury)
Cleaners (to remove the bodies)
My family (Imediate then extended)
Other people (all other people not part of the above)
The rich (providing they aint already bought it which they might do)
The Queen
Charlie Boy
William
Polititions (with luck its run out by now though they would do as the rich do)

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58   #4
I am Banned

With the vaccine we make WE should be first. Let other countries sort them selfs out we should take care of our own people instead of people that have nothing to do with us.
silvermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:05   #5
God Member

Surely the editor of the Sun should be saved first so that all the events can be told to the nation in a honest and timely manner.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave
Surely the editor of the Sun should be saved first so that all the events can be told to the nation in a honest and timely manner.
News no Page 3 yes.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:26   #7
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermain
With the vaccine we make WE should be first. Let other countries sort them selfs out we should take care of our own people instead of people that have nothing to do with us.
.................................................. ........................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
so my question relates just to the UK.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:42   #8
Give, give, give member

From what I gathered from the programme last night, the experts were saying that if it spread as fast as they feared a vacine wouldn't halt the pandemic anyway.

The American couple who had armed their home as a fortress against the flu, made me laugh. Even the tiny pooch had enough junk food to last for three months. Although the risks can be minimised, stopping people's movement etc, if your number's up, your number's up.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 13:38   #9
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
First let it be Less then he can keep nagging the pharmeceutical bods to keep producing.
Very kind of you Willow, but I would have no need of a jab, (I never manage to get anything that is free which no doubt will include the bird flu).

So far as who comes first, the ones that need it the most, i.e. if the 20-35 year olds are the most susceptible then they get the first jabs, if they aren't given the priority how would we (the people) survive post-pandemic?

If as many as 50% fatality is to be expected then we need as many fit young people as possible to re-build whatever is left, (of society I mean, not bricks and mortar).

After that the children, then if there is 'owt left over us older folk.

Oh yes, just an after thought, all employees of kleenex tissues should be given the jab so they can keep supplying the rest of us with something to blow our snotty noses on!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:00   #10
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
From what I gathered from the programme last night, the experts were saying that if it spread as fast as they feared a vacine wouldn't halt the pandemic anyway.

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going isn't it?

Old 08-11-2006, 14:38   #11

I would say, that if a pandemic happens,you would have to Isolate yourself from General human contact,Because it would be just dumb luck having a vaccine & being able to get it.I know that if something happened like this I would go Bush,Probably the Northern Territory. Church Boy
Church Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:41   #12
God Member

well i,ll be in the middle lol
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 14:42   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

It's being so cheerful that keeps you going isn't it?
Lol, no I think the programme was over sensationalist, and will in all probability never happen as they portrayed it. Giving information as fact, when it's just supposition is stupid, never mind about being unscientific.

Horizon is usually good, this was more like some thing off Channel 5.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:07   #14

All the staff at Hollands pies,
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:15   #15
God Member

I would give it to Phil and Fern, all the corrie crew, all the Eastenders crew and alot more T.V people. The way I see it is, If i'm gonna have the good fortune to be able to sit at home all day and not go to work, I wanna be able to watch T.V and without these on my T.V I would be bored stiff.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..