Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2005, 17:13   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Bedtime with Nanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apest1
Originally Posted by jpest1
I must be getting old! I agree with rindy. My older sister taught me to read when I was 3. At the age of 5 I had to join the adult library at accy because I had read all the books in the childrens library. My favourite set of books was 'Swallows and Amazons' the film was shown on telly last week and yes I watched it and enjoyed it. Very un p.c. but who gives a damn. And I'm 49.
The she tryed it on me ,But it did not work, so i ended up on the Beeno and the dandy
She sounds a very nice sister, she could have made you read Twinkle and Bunty, then where would you have been?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2005, 20:44   #32
Beacon of light

The 27 million that this scheme is going to cost would be better used to revert to the old teaching methods......phonetics has proved to be a vastly superior system of teaching children to read.
Reading is a core skill and no other real learning can take place until a child has learned to read.
I often wonder what more I could have achieved if I had learned to read earlier.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 20:55   #33
God Member

I agree, parents who will read to their kids will do so without the free books. I was given a pack a couple of years ago with a couple of free books, they had been donated to Sure start I think, anyway Ellie was already a member of the library and loves books, hopefully she always will.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..