Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-07-2005, 21:22   #16
God Member

Re: Bedtime with Nanny.

My experience with children and reading is that you can't ram it down their throats. I'm a reader and my oldest is, but my youngest detests reading to the extent that its fight time when she brings a book home from school that has to be read with her. It's not fun and she doesn't enjoy it, it's more like a punishment to her. I have tried everything to get her interested in books
Old 25-07-2005, 21:24   #17

Thats like me and my little brother. I am an avid reader, he hasn't picked up a book since he left school.
Old 25-07-2005, 22:29   #18
Give, give, give member

My Mum was as poor as a Church mouse as a child, like a lot of folk. All the books she was given, a lot as Sunday School prizes, and that she read by the light of the street lamp, she still treasures. She did loan them to me and my Brother to read, and now has lent them to her Grandaughter.

Like l posted earlier, a love of books is invaluable to a lot of people. I would just rather see this vast amount of money invested into Libaries or schools. For one thing with Libaries you can read the books and take them back afterwards and exchange for something new, this silly scheme just seems futile.

Last edited by garinda; 25-07-2005 at 22:30.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 22:39   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

money should be invested in librarys and also SOME parents should invest time in the children.
Old 25-07-2005, 22:48   #20

I must be getting old! I agree with rindy. My older sister taught me to read when I was 3. At the age of 5 I had to join the adult library at accy because I had read all the books in the childrens library. My favourite set of books was 'Swallows and Amazons' the film was shown on telly last week and yes I watched it and enjoyed it. Very un p.c. but who gives a damn. And I'm 49.

Last edited by jpest1; 26-07-2005 at 01:19. Reason: Text
jpest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 23:37   #21
God Member

I've got to say that the most magical books that I read as a child is the adventures of the magic faraway tree, I was transported into the book as if I was in the story, the shame is I bought them for my kids and re-read them and the magic just wasn't the same.

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 23:40   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile Re: Bedtime with Nanny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red
I've got to say that the most magical books that I read as a child is the adventures of the magic faraway tree, I was transported into the book as if I was in the story, the shame is I bought them for my kids and re-read them and the magic just wasn't the same.
well id forgot all about the faraway tree,used to love it and magical is a great description.
Old 26-07-2005, 01:18   #23
land of hope and glory

cant wait to get my old editions out for the grandsons?only got 2 daughters and they read when the are out walking anything with ink on them are read.my collection just needs a eye for beauty and a good thinking in photography. what happenned to janet and john? the first series of books i bought personally was a western , a cowboy called EDGE.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 04:18   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpest1
I must be getting old! I agree with rindy. My older sister taught me to read when I was 3. At the age of 5 I had to join the adult library at accy because I had read all the books in the childrens library. My favourite set of books was 'Swallows and Amazons' the film was shown on telly last week and yes I watched it and enjoyed it. Very un p.c. but who gives a damn. And I'm 49.
If you agree with me, it means you are very childish and therefore young not old!

I too loved Swallows and Amazons. I adored Titty, strange how life pans out!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 07:13   #25
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I think the whole scheme is one huge waste of money. The people who do like to read to their children already buy or borrow books. I highly doubt that it will encourage anyone to read to their kids who doesn't do so already... It has to be considered that the people who don't read to their kids may have reasons for not doing so, either they can't read well themselves, or they can't read English (or their own language for that matter).

The money should be invested in schools and libraries.

I love reading and always have done. I used to enjoy the Enid Blyton books, The Famous Five, Secret Seven, St Clare's and Mallory Towers. I still have a love of reading, but I tend not to have much time these days. I read 3 books in 5 days on holiday and was disappointed because I hadn't brought a 4th book with me..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 08:36   #26
God Member

That's the point isn't it Lettie - people who love books will read to their kids anyway, and people who can't be bothered still won't be bothered just because they've been sent a copy of some soft p.c. spin.

I still have my set of Mallory Towers books and every now and then I reread them. The trouble with modern books is that they remove the imagination element, particularly for younger children. Mallory Towers series was great for me because I could imagine going to boarding school and having midnight feasts and great adventures.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:13   #27
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I can remember when my son was about to start school, we had gone to a meet the teachers thing, we were talking with Roys new teacher to be and were happy to tell her that he was able to read and was enjoying it, she was most disgusted that he had already learnt to read as, 'it makes it more difficult when teaching the children that can't read as they are made to feel inferior'.

Guess who didn't get on very well with Roys' first teacher?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 11:24   #28
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I don't think that I would have got on with that teacher either Less. I could also read prior to starting school. The new politically correct thing is for teachers not to tell pupils that they have failed at anything, it is to be referred to as a 'deferred pass.' Quite frankly I think that the whole education system is pants these days, and I can understand why some parents choose to educate their children at home. If being able to read well at a young age is considered to be detrimental to anybody, then it is glaringly obvious that there is something sadly wrong with the education system in this country. Why should children who are keen to learn, do their homework and achieve good results be penalised and held back in favour of those who don't. These children should be encouraged.

I'm not saying that children who don't perform well in school shouldn't be encouraged too, but that's what separate classes are there for. This giving out free books malarkey is another money wasting folly from our leaders...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 14:48   #29
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

It gets worse, in actual fact they were using that 'super, great, new system', with different was it phonetic? spelllllling' which left him utterly confused because he basically had to re-learn how to read before they then confused him by him having to learn again the proper way to read!

Oh, yess tahts de waiy do teech'um!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 15:06   #30

Originally Posted by jpest1
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
If you agree with me, it means you are very childish and therefore young not old!

I too loved Swallows and Amazons. I adored Titty, strange how life pans out!
The she tryed it on me ,But it did not work, so i ended up on the Beeno and the dandy
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..