Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2011, 22:23   #151
God Member

Re: Benefits for the poor are spent on drugs and gambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
One is never too old to waste one's time. The way I interpret what he wrote is that in any labour/management dispute, or in any discussion of why British industry is, more or less, no more, it is wrong to blame only one side for the dispute, or for the loss of viable industries which provide well-paid, secure employment for the working class. Bashing the unions often obscures the fact that management needs a good swift kick in the plums too. From one set of prejudices, one blames unions for their greed and intransigence; and from another set, one blames management for their greed and intransigence.

But this is only an interpretation. His argument is a tad cluttered, but hardly "twaddle", or "inconsequential rubbish."
Did you appreciate my translation, Eric?

I do actually translate English to English (can you believe that! )-usually what Europeans write though!!

Love your use of "plums" have noticed it before...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-12-2011, 22:43   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Well the verb's a new one on me...

I see I shouldn't really criticise - made a total hash of the quote in that last post...
This definition of the word paragon is in the full Oxford English Dictionary, but it is archaic.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 22:49   #153
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
This definition of the word paragon is in the full Oxford English Dictionary, but it is archaic.
Left the UK back in the 80's Michael -I'm an old-fashioned (perhaps not archaic!) girl...!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 22:52   #154

Just out of curiosity, which dictionary are you quoting from?
Old 10-12-2011, 22:54   #155

I could not find this definition in the Concise Oxford Dictionary or Collins, only in the OED.
Old 11-12-2011, 00:19   #156
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well if the Tories are out of their depth, Labour have drowned long ago, you just can't see can you, you plank, Labour have never in our history made a success of running this country, they've always made a pigs ear of it, if ever anybody was out of their depth it was the one eyed Jock and his little Darling the Burk and Hare of British politics. As for the Tories putting people on incapacity in the eighties incapacity claimants went from around 200,000 in 1997 to 550,000 in 2010, ever though of being a stand up comic C'mon, try the Edinburgh fringe
total costs rose from £600 million in 1979 to £3500 million in 1997 your figures dont add up http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/dps/case/cp/CASEpaper26.pdf
Old 11-12-2011, 09:09   #157
Beacon of light

Eric, it WAS twaddle until it was translated.
I once took time to read a long diatribe of his to find that even when translated it made no sense and he contradicted himself several.........I told myself that this was the first and last time I was going to waste my presious time on someone who can't be bothered to post something that is readable, with some sort of translation.
Mobertol is a good bit younger than me...she has time on her side....which I (maybe) don't. My Thanks to you Dianne for the clearing of the fog.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:18   #158
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
total costs rose from £600 million in 1979 to £3500 million in 1997 your figures dont add up http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/dps/case/cp/CASEpaper26.pdf
Pray tell what it was in 2010 please, just to balance the argument
Old 11-12-2011, 09:20   #159
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eric, it WAS twaddle until it was translated.
I once took time to read a long diatribe of his to find that even when translated it made no sense and he contradicted himself several.........I told myself that this was the first and last time I was going to waste my presious time on someone who can't be bothered to post something that is readable, with some sort of translation.
Mobertol is a good bit younger than me...she has time on her side....which I (maybe) don't. My Thanks to you Dianne for the clearing of the fog.
Ya Margaret, but there is still very low cloud over Scotland
Old 11-12-2011, 09:38   #160
Beacon of light

John....when did I inherit your keyboard?....just noticed a couple of glaring typos in there........must be because I am sat here in the gloom of this Sunday morning using 'Misers light'(daylight) instead of turning the bulbs on.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:42   #161
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
John....when did I inherit your keyboard?....just noticed a couple of glaring typos in there........must be because I am sat here in the gloom of this Sunday morning using 'Misers light'(daylight) instead of turning the bulbs on.
Margaret I keep trying to explain there's absolutely nothing wrong with my keyboard, its the person pushing the keys that's the problem
Old 11-12-2011, 10:11   #162
God Member

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:34   #163
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I could not find this definition in the Concise Oxford Dictionary or Collins, only in the OED.
paragon (`pærgn) n. 1. a model of excellence; pattern:a paragon of virtue.2. a size of printer's type, approximately equal to 20 point. vBulletin. (tr.)3. Archaic.a. to equal or surpass.b. to compare.c. to regard as a paragon.[C16: via French from Old Italian paragone comparison, from Medieval Greek parakonž whetstone, from Greek parakonan to sharpen against, from PARA-1 + akonan to sharpen, from akone whetstone]

The above is from the Collins dictionary and thesaurus which has been on my computer for yonks. It does give the verb, but lists it as archaic.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:45   #164
God Member

This thread is infested with dictionary quotes.
I suggest this

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:51   #165
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This thread is infested with dictionary quotes.
I suggest this
I blame C'Mon myself

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..