Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-08-2011, 08:45   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Best Cafe in Ramsbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
is Ramsbottom an actual place ? , thought it was only a bus stop somewhere before Strangways on the Ribble X13/23 from Gods country 'Hyndburn/Arrod /Accrington' to Manchester .
remember meeting lots lasses from Bacup on the Blackpool/St,Annes Sand-dunes but never ever remember if I met a lass from Ramsbottom anywhere ever
Ya its a real place SJ better known in this area as Tups arse
Old 27-08-2011, 08:53   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya its a real place SJ better known in this area as Tups arse
is it a town /village /or UDC ....... seem to remember some s#it hole place in the valley with a big sign saying "Fustian works " not sure where I was coming from or going to
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:19   #18
God Member

That chippy is a good chippy, and my niece works there too, I lived in Rammy (tups arse, well done Jaysay for getting that right) for 27 years, the chippy on the main road near the bus stop is also good and has seating through the back, there are a few eating places and most of them good, the best pub food will probably still be the Duckworth arms or the fishermans retreat, both up at shuttleworth which would be a short taxi trip from the centre, I can assure you most of you would not want to walk up Peel Brow! :d
It is said that the name Ramsbottom is the reason there are no people there who worship rama, don't know how true that is, but I do know that there are few foreigners and that helps keep the property prices extortionate!

Last edited by derekgas; 27-08-2011 at 09:22.
derekgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:24   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
is it a town /village /or UDC ....... seem to remember some s#it hole place in the valley with a big sign saying "Fustian works " not sure where I was coming from or going to
It is a Town, with several Villages, Stubbins, Strongstry, Edenfield, Shuttleworth, Chatterton, Holcolmbe and Summerseat to name a few.
Old 27-08-2011, 09:39   #20

It had it's own railway station, bus fleet etc
"Ramsbottom is a town in the Metropolitan Borough of Bury, Greater Manchester, England. It is situated on the course of the River Irwell, in the West Pennine Moors. Historically within Lancashire, it is located 3.9 miles (6.3 km) north-northwest of Bury, and 12 miles (19 km) north-northwest of Manchester. At the time of the 2001 census Ramsbottom had a population of 14,635."
The name Ramsbottom is believed to derive from the Old English words ramm and botm, meaning "valley of the ram". Ramsbottom is described as a "thriving market town in spectacular surroundings". Its Victorian architecture, Pennine landscape, its industrial heritage and the heritage East Lancashire Railway station contribute to cultural tourism in the town."
Wikipedia

If we go during the week I get my chippy from "The Village Chippy" in Stubbins
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 09:59   #21
God Member

It has a music festival too
Ramsbottom Festival 2011

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 12:01   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spignific View Post
what time is the last bus back from Bury ? thought about going on the bus one saturday but presumed the bus back might be too early i.e. before teatime
I think it leaves Bury at 4.30 pm.....and it is about 20 minutes to Rammy(roughly).......but it perhaps would be worthwhile looking at the timetables.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2011, 12:10   #23
Beacon of light

Ramsbottom is a lovely place.
The main street has a number of thriving independent shops.
It is set in some beautiful countryside and has lots of interesting things happening.
They have the railway.....with the much loved steam trains puffing up and down the line.
They have 1940's weekends, A Music Festival(which MargaretR has mentioned)....Guy Garvey the lead singer in Elbow is originally from Stubbins.

The place feels vibrant and alive...which is something that Accrington could aim for.
Old 27-08-2011, 21:05   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Ramsbottom is a lovely place.
The main street has a number of thriving independent shops.
It is set in some beautiful countryside and has lots of interesting things happening.
They have the railway.....with the much loved steam trains puffing up and down the line.
They have 1940's weekends, A Music Festival(which MargaretR has mentioned)....Guy Garvey the lead singer in Elbow is originally from Stubbins.

The place feels vibrant and alive...which is something that Accrington could aim for.
and this is where they played their very first "gig" was "The Railway" then "The Corner Pin" had a walk past yesterday
Didn't Agyness Deyn work in the chippy ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0023.JPG (440.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 27-08-2011, 21:24   #25
Beacon of light

Yes she did wadey...but she went by a different name then...which I have quite forgotten now...it will come back to me in the night.
My sister lived in Ramsbottom before emigrating to Oz...she tells me that she heard Guy Garvey sing in one of the pubs a lot of years ago(she has been in Oz 9 years)......didn't much care for him then, but strangely, likes him now.
Old 27-08-2011, 22:57   #26

Laura Hollins
Old 28-08-2011, 07:43   #27
Beacon of light

Thanks Wadey....the question has been buzzing round my brain all night........I couldn't get a handle on it......my sisters girl is just a couple of years younger that her and always wanted to be her.
Old 28-08-2011, 09:46   #28

After reading this post I decided to go to the Fishermans Retreat yesterday, was very good, not cheap, on that point the desserts were excellent but I wouldnt say they were worth it for the portion size.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2011, 11:20   #29

Nice spot and a lovely walk
Old 28-08-2011, 16:11   #30
God Member

The Railway in Stubbins was changed to the Corner Pin (not to be confused with the Railway in Ramsbottom), Jimmy Cunliffe (the landlord who changed it) changed the name because all the locals called it 'the corner pin', something to do with it being situated on the corner of Pin Meadow, Jimmy Cunliffe even became know as Jimmy Pin, he also started the World Black Pudding throwing championships which has featured on sky sports and is now held every September at the Royal Oak on Bridge Street, Ramsbottom.
The Village Chippy in Stubbins used to be a small brick building about the size of a decent garage, a lady called Mary had it for many years, then a builder bought it, built the building you see now around the original, and demolished the original.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..