Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-06-2006, 19:00   #46
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Best Invention of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
gonna be serious for once,so i apologise in advance, i think the best invention of all time is music, don't matter what type/kind, i think it gives more pleasure and relaxation to more people than anything else i can think of.
Music is also instrumental in calling men to war.
Old 24-06-2006, 19:22   #47
God Member

Re: Best Invention of All Time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Were men invented
I once had a t-shirt with 'When God invented man she was only joking' emblazoned across it - so maybe they were.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2006, 21:18   #48
God Member

Best invention - paper! Well what would you do without your morning paper? What would you do without books? What would you do without paper to write on and most important - loo paper! The only paper i could do without are the bills you get!
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 00:01   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Sorry can't remember much; I seem to remember the guitar, the printing press, the wheel & spaghetti sauce getting a mention!
It's normally on just before Big Brother or one of the other C4 programmes in the evening.
vibrator, jeans,
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 00:03   #50
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
Best invention - paper! Well what would you do without your morning paper? What would you do without books? What would you do without paper to write on and most important - loo paper! The only paper i could do without are the bills you get!
Thats a well thought out answer, we wouldn't be a booktown if it wasn't for paper.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:16   #51
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Music is also instrumental in calling men to war.
whilst that is perfectly true, i don,t think even then it was used negatively, whilst not being in agreement with war i think it was used to- encourage,the poor devils, i still maintain it is what gives more pleasure and relaxation than owt i know.
Old 25-06-2006, 12:23   #52
God Member

Am I on my own in rarely listening to music or tv for that matter?
Old 25-06-2006, 13:05   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
Am I on my own in rarely listening to music or tv for that matter?
Well, Madhatter, seem to know a lot about Big Brother ! Or are you just selective
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 13:31   #54
white rabbits

The off button,,, sometimes it comes in very handy...lol
Old 25-06-2006, 13:44   #55
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Best Invention of All Time?

Agreed cashman, using music to call men to war wasn’t a negative act. Far from it, it was a deliberate positive act. The rhythmic beating of the drums stirred the blood, increased the heartbeat and got the adrenaline to flow faster. Or put another way got the men ready to fight and helped to overcome their fear. In fact you could describe the drumbeat as hypnotic. Fortunately there is no place for that scenario in modern warfare.

The African Zulu warriors used the same tactic but the beating of the spears on their shields was also designed to put fear into the hearts of the opponents. The American Indians had the ‘war dance’. Today you get a similar effect with the modern boom, boom music. I don’t know about today but some 15 years ago when my son was still a teenager he and his mates would rate the quality of the music by its bpm (beats per minute). The higher the bpm the better and they would marvel at 150 bpm as they jumped up and down on the spot trying to keep up. And that’s where pills came in but that’s another topic.

Music itself isn’t bad just some of the ways it can be put to use and listening to music that you like is indeed a pleasurable experience. By the same token having to listen to something that you don’t like is the opposite.

No you are not on your own Madhatter if by listening to music you mean sitting down and deliberately putting on a record or CD and listening to it or walking around with a walkman glued to your ear. Walkman? My I am behind the times! It’s an ipod now isn’t it? I rarely put a CD on and sit and actually listen to it although I will admit to having music in the background from the wireless or a CD or on occasion an LP as I go about my daily life. Having got a car with a decent CD player in it I can now match the boom, boom racers and play my own kind of music at a volume that turns heads. 20’s and 30’ dance band, trad jazz, some 50’s and 60’s pop with a few military matches thrown in for good measure and even Jimmy Shand.

When I am in my final minutes I would like to pass away listening to the Prelude To Act 1 from La Traviata – a truly beautiful piece of music.

Sorry but all that is really off topic. I will castigate myself and stand in a corner for an hour.
Old 25-06-2006, 13:53   #56
Always EVIL within us

- - - Gotta be the "Wheel" Can you imagine what my posteria would feel like if I had to drive something like this!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg square bus.JPG (21.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 25-06-2006, 15:54   #57
God Member

Fire for cooking warmth and well you know.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 15:58   #58
God Member

No it aint criminal afore you lot start!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2006, 17:07   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex
Well, Madhatter, seem to know a lot about Big Brother ! Or are you just selective
very, I watch big brother hour and evictions, and lost on a tuesday. other than the odd film, watched res evil and phone booth, both excellent films. Watched some film last night, it was ok but nothing special. film is quality to me, it's a whole story, complete, thats got to be a good invention.

music I rarely listen to these days, sometimes I put the radio on for the play, when I'm driving, then turn over and leave it on for some music.
Old 25-06-2006, 23:20   #60

Erm..........can't believe no one has put this but beer is an obvious choice. What else makes us feel good about ourselves when we are at our worst? Whoever invented it is a genius.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..