Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2009, 16:56   #1
God Member

Angry Best Job in the World?

When you are asked to stand down...or so I believe, for the failure to manage the Organisation you are in charge of should you or anyone else be given a handout of this magnitude?

BBC NEWS | Politics | Sir Fred 'won't give up pension'

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-02-2009, 17:34   #2
Full Member+

Re: Best Job in the World?

People like Sir Fred are paid big bucks by big organisations because under a high profile and vastly experienced figurehead, a company can thrive, increase profits and make large sums of money for their shareholders. Success is and should be rewarded in any highly profitable business.
When the opposite is true and the company loses obscene amounts of money, there cannot be huge payouts to bosses and investors because there is no money left in the pot.

The government had to act to save the banks but to give the prize money to the 'weakest link', that is against the rules of both business and something the powers that be lack these days, common sense.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 10:21   #3
Resting in Peace

HMGs excuse for not stopping this when the bail out occurred was that this pension was in the words of Gov minister Timms that it was set in tablets of stone and that there was nothing they could do. Now some months down the line it appears that it was nothing of the sort, to me due diligence wasn't used when negotiating this bail out, how can people like Simpson expect these obscene payments when, but for public money there wouldn't have been a bank to pay pensions worth two pence never mind £700,000
Old 27-02-2009, 12:58   #4
Full Member+

Are these pensions negotiated in such a cast iron way that the recipient gets the money whatever happens?
How stupid.
For that sort of a deal, they could have got someone who understood banks and financial institutions rather than just a greedy no-hoper. It will always be said that it is not just the top boss who caused the problem. I say the buck stops fairly with the top man and if the istitution fails it is his fault.

Taking a wider view, where has all the money gone, toxic debt? (is that a new phrase?).
So banks have leant all this money out and have no chance of getting a lot of it back. I reckon this has been going on for many years but they have only just realised that their pockets are empty.

Are they still trying to convince us that the top man knew nothing of these problems?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 13:10   #5
God Member

This news only broke in the mainstream media yesterday morning. I have, however, heard a rumour that some people here on the Accy Web knew of this story as early as last sunday. Anyone here wish to confirm this?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 13:17   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Thumbs down Re: Best Job in the World?

It feels like an “old boys pact ” is at work here.

Instead of being allowed to step down Fred whats his name should have been sacked for incompetence and that would probably have sorted out the question of pension rights. But it has been reported that Fred was a personal friend of Brown and other cabinet members so a sacking would be out of the question.

We call Mugabe for being corrupt but there is nothing more corrupt than the current mob in office and the fat cats.
Old 27-02-2009, 13:17   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This news only broke in the mainstream media yesterday morning. I have, however, heard a rumour that some people here on the Accy Web knew of this story as early as last sunday. Anyone here wish to confirm this?
My crystal ball tells me a lot but I don't always let on - don't want to cause panic do we?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 13:48   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My crystal ball tells me a lot but I don't always let on - don't want to cause panic do we?
I heard that the rumour was a bit more specific than your crystal ball.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 14:10   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
We call Mugabe for being corrupt but there is nothing more corrupt than the current mob in office and the fat cats.
You can't possibly compare Britain to Zimbabwe. After all, Zimbabwe is being run by a meglomaniac who refuses to ever admit to being wrong and who wasn't actually elected to run the country, the currency is becoming increasingly worthless, unemployment is rising and the economy is on the rocks.

Oh, hang on a minute....
Old 27-02-2009, 16:13   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
You can't possibly compare Britain to Zimbabwe. After all, Zimbabwe is being run by a meglomaniac who refuses to ever admit to being wrong and who wasn't actually elected to run the country, the currency is becoming increasingly worthless, unemployment is rising and the economy is on the rocks.

Oh, hang on a minute....
Are you sure thats Zimbabwe your talking about Wynonie
Old 27-02-2009, 18:10   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay
No, he's getting confused. It's Hyndburn Borough Council he's referring to.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 19:27   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was being satirical!
Old 27-02-2009, 20:09   #13
God Member

It is a trait learned from politicians, looking out for each other, and lining each others pockets. (the fat cats and shareholders that is).
Old 27-02-2009, 23:52   #14
God Member

wether anyone thinks it is fair or not that he gets this pension its no one elses buisness but his own simply because it is what he was offered by contract and if the govenment was stupid enough to give it him or not spot it when they helped out then more fool them

no matter how much gordon brown spits his dummy out or kisses up to the public by taking a stance that he thinks will win him the publics approval and makes us like him any more the fact is the guy wether you agree or not is entitled to what was in his contract

peoples arguments shoudlnt be aimed at Sir Fred for taking a pension out of a bank funded by public money but arguments should be aimed at the moron that gave him the pension but sadly every MP available with gordon brown been the most outspoken is hogging every soundbite with the press and every minuite of airtime available to condem a guy for taking money which they quite freely gave him

for the life of me i cant figure out how labour have let gordon brown remain where he is so long, our Gregg Pope would make a better job of been the labour party leader than gordon brown does

hey im not a conservitive voter but it is sad that in voting for a damn good MP (mr pope) i am helping to keep gordon brown in power

ps:

i aint a wealth guy sticking up for another wealthy guy , ask anyone who knows me im p*ss poor as the saying goes but it irks me to see the govenment push all teh blame onto Sir Fred just to deflect blame away from themselves where blame lies

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 27-02-2009 at 23:55.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 00:14   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good post accyman,pity it wont let me give ya karma.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..