Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2008, 15:20   #1
Give, give, give member

Biggy shoe!

I had to wait for someone for half an hour today, and since it was dry managed to get a non-wet seat on Broadway.

In the thirty minutes I was there not one person bought a Big Issue magazine, from the woman that sells them on the corner. Thinking about it, I've never seen her sell any, despite her constant cries offering it.

In that time she sadly got hassled off two loads of lads.

In London the sellers at the busy tube stations were probably flogging two magazines per minute, in the rush hour, and the ones I used to see in Glasgow sold loads too, but that was mainly because they were quite aggressive in their 'marketing', and would chase you down the street to ensure a sale.

Have you ever bought the Big Issue?

I have very occasionally, mainly because of guilt, because I once fouind one on the tube, entered a competition and won tickets for a film premiere and a load of books on film.

I admire the fact that she's actually trying to earn money for herself, which can't be easy when you're homeless, but is she wasting her time?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2008, 15:23   #2
God Member

Re: Biggy shoe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Have you ever bought the Big Issue?

Never actually bought or read one ... whats in them? Is it stories about homeless peoples plights?
Old 18-11-2008, 15:25   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Never actually bought or read one ... whats in them? Is it stories about homeless peoples plights?
There's a bit in about being homeless, but mainly it's just like any other magazine, interviews, reviews, etc.

Happily there isn't a Biggy Shoe Honey.

Old 18-11-2008, 15:26   #4
Senior Member+

Have bought it once, didnt read it though, just felt kinda guilty
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 15:31   #5
God Member

Quote:
No Hobo Hunk or Honey of the Week?

Thats why no one buys it ... glamour sells
Old 18-11-2008, 15:42   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
There's a bit in about being homeless, but mainly it's just like any other magazine, interviews, reviews, etc.

No never bought it, could be down to being selfish or it could be that I always assumed it was about homeless people and their rights.

Perhaps they need to change their image to put the magazine more up market?

Lets see them out there in Saville Row Suits trying to take my pound, maybe they have a too down at heel image for what the mag' represents?

I hope she does make a bit really, to stand there day after day trying to get us to open our eyes must be a hard job.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 15:55   #7
Resting in Peace

Re: Biggie shoe!

I bought on a few years ago in Manchester, but its so long since I've been in Accy centre or any town centre for that matter, so I ain't bought one lately
Old 18-11-2008, 16:17   #8
God Member

I thought this thread was about orthopaedic shoes.

http://www.cobcord.com/Images/benchM...ngLtLG4303.jpg

No, I have never bought the biggy shoe.
Old 18-11-2008, 16:19   #9
Super Moderator

Bagpuss buys one from her regularly.
Old 18-11-2008, 16:26   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No never bought it, could be down to being selfish or it could be that I always assumed it was about homeless people and their rights.

Perhaps they need to change their image to put the magazine more up market?

Lets see them out there in Saville Row Suits trying to take my pound, maybe they have a too down at heel image for what the mag' represents?

I hope she does make a bit really, to stand there day after day trying to get us to open our eyes must be a hard job.
I think you have a point.

It's not very well marketed, as people seem to assume it's all about homelessness, when in fact it's more like Hello, in as much as very often there are interviews with celebrities in.

Old 18-11-2008, 16:31   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well it's nice to know he has clean sheets when he's sleeping on that park bench.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 19:08   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Bless him; I’ll buy him a pint next time I’m over…….
I have seen the lady when I’ve been home but never bought one, nor have I over here. There’s a Polish chap that stands outside Tesco’s in Cleveleys, he calls out mildly but few seem to see him.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 19:35   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
There’s a Polish chap that stands outside Tesco’s in Cleveleys, he calls out mildly but few seem to see him.
That seems to be the case in small towns, unlike the big cities.

Apparently they have to buy the magazine for seventy pence, and sell it on for £1.50, keeping the eighty pence profit, which there doesn't seem to be many of in Accy.

I do think they need to rethink their marketing, as people assume it's actually about homelessness.

This is from their website...

'The Big Issue is a weekly entertainment and current affairs magazine. The Big Issue group magazines have a shared aim – to produce consistently exciting, engaging and entertaining content, with the addition of stories relevant to the local communities in our regional editions in the North and South-West of England, Wales and Scotland. In every edition we publish a broad and balanced selection of articles, from investigative news features and in-depth spotlights on international issues, to reviews by leading critics of the week's must-see film, theatre, music, DVDs, gigs and visual arts, alongside challenging social comment and exclusive celebrity interviews.

Over the past 16 years The Big Issue has built up a strong reputation for journalistic integrity - our name is one which the readers, contributors and interviewees alike can trust. This reputation is a key factor in our continued success in attracting such a wide range of stars, whether they come from the world of arts, politics or sport, to grace our covers on a weekly basis. Sir Paul McCartney, David Beckham and George Michael are just a few of the celebrities who have chosen to talk to the Big Issue first over the years.'

Big Issue

Old 18-11-2008, 19:38   #14
God Member

Is the 'Biggy Shoe' sold on 'Pender Lil', or in 'Knotty Nil?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.

Last edited by yerself; 18-11-2008 at 19:43.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 19:39   #15
God Member

must admit i do buy it a few times a year, usually buy it from Manchester or Preston or some strange city i wander off to
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..