Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2006, 13:16   #1

Birthdays

I think I have started a trend at work, every year I take my birthday off,more people seem to be doing it now. I have often thought that instead of us receiving a card off our parents, we should be giving our mothers one for bringing us into the world on that particular day.
expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2006, 13:26   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Birthdays

some companies automatically give u ur birthday off ontop of ur yrly holiday allowance
Old 15-08-2006, 13:34   #3
God Member

I usually have my birthday off, but then I like to have all my unbirthdays off too.
I do of course have my un-official birthday off which is october 27th.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2006, 16:33   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
I do of course have my un-official birthday off which is october 27th.
Why that date?
Old 15-08-2006, 19:37   #5
white rabbits

yes i am curious too.
Old 15-08-2006, 19:43   #6
Beacon of light

You only take the day off so that you don't have to buy the cakes for morning tea!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:19   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
You only take the day off so that you don't have to buy the cakes for morning tea!
Margaret, ya' daft bat Having said that 'many a true word spoken in jest'eh?

Expat: Have always thought this about sending a card to Mum for thanking her for your presence on this Earth.
Yes, some companies do give their employees a day off for their birthday; my son included. American owned, which surprises me, as they are usually tight with holidays. Only Christmas day and New Year's day (well, in the American branches).. no boxing day, etc.

I, myself, love to be at work on my birthday to receive all the sexy, dirty cards my younger colleagues like to give me .. better than the age things.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:28   #8
God Member

I work for an American company yet dont get birthday holidays. Yes we are the same for Crimbo and New Year but I suppose I cant complain as I get 35 days holiday a year. As for being in work on my birthday thanks but no thanks for I did once and was shrink wrapped to my seat and left in the middle of the factory floor.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:30   #9
Beacon of light

Katex......I always took some delicacies into work for my colleagues if I was rostered to work on my birthday.........not many other folk did though!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2006, 19:39   #10
God Member

Still rather be in the pub. We alternate anyway on who brings in the goodies so no real need on a birthday.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 01:39   #11
God Member

I loves taking in some cakes if i'm working, but the others rarely entered into the spirit in subsequent jobs.

October 27th cos its six months after my april birthday.
tbh it started of as a con to get extra free night club birthday tickets n bubbly. I just filled in the opposite birth month. I knowit's hard to believe esp as I didn't bother going to pubs till I about 20 but I wasn't working, and there wa nothing to do but go to the pub every night and pubs followed by night clubs at tamworth on the weekend. and wed...and thurs

Then I have madhatter day which is 10th june but thats not a holiday yet

Last edited by Madhatter; 17-08-2006 at 01:48.
Old 17-08-2006, 11:45   #12
Senior Member+

We get our birthday day off (American company!) but i never take my birthday off as my daughters birthday is 7 days after mine so i always take hers off instead im sure she would appreciate it.
Old 17-08-2006, 18:36   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
We get our birthday day off (American company!) but i never take my birthday off as my daughters birthday is 7 days after mine so i always take hers off instead im sure she would appreciate it.
Know where you coming from Mummiboo, my sons is 4 days after mine, and mine somehow got lost in the build up to his. That's Mums for you though, isn't it ? Get more pleasure from giving to them.

Sorry missed your birthday yesterday, but Best Wishes. Don't eat it all at once. Sure yer own Mum and Dad spoilt you anyway.

Speaking of cake, understand re. Margaret's thread, but can become a pain in the butt having to go out and buy the cream cakes ... recently our Production Team has amalgamated in the same building as us Sales people and they do this. Told 'em not to expect us to emulate this tradition as sort of sets a precedence and can be stressful .. OK when you have an '0' at the end though. Phew, another 7 years.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2006, 01:41   #14
Senior Member+

I've never understood that tradition, even though I always bought the sticky buns when I was working.

It was good fun when someone tried to sneak out of it though!!

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2006, 20:40   #15
God Member

cos you get however many people you work with pieces of unbirthday cake. yes you have to pay when its your birthday but it's a nice way of everyone celebrating your birthday with some birthday cake. The only other way is if every one chips in to a pot.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..