Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2006, 08:35   #16
Full Member+

Re: Bloody fire extinguisher scam

THIS IS THE LINK TO NEW FIRE REGS FROM 011/02/006
http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1162101
Old 19-07-2006, 08:36   #17
Full Member+

THIS IS THE LINK TO NEW FIRE REGS FROM 01/10/2006http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1162101
Old 19-07-2006, 09:49   #18
Senior Member+

well spoke to both preston and hyndburn BC and they're sayin they do no such thing - that if they themselves were to come around and find that we were lacking the correct fire safety features they wud incorporate opinions of the local fire brigade etc and that this woman claiming to be from a company called dolby fire group - was just tryna flog us fire extinguishers

amazing how she bought an engineers car today of all days and didnt have any business cards with her...
Old 19-07-2006, 09:57   #19
Senior Member+

ugh the woman at LET was so dumb i was tryna get her a nice lil page fillin story tellin her how a few local shop keepers had been duped etc and she thought i wanted to fone the local council..
Old 19-07-2006, 10:02   #20
Senior Member+

I posted this prob on another forum and one of the other users had an interesting reply...

dude, it's a scam...!!

donkeys years ago, a cousin of mine worked as a salesman for a company that sold these fire extinguishers. Cold calling on premises, usually asian cos they are renowned for flouting the law, spouting off all this legislation just to intimidate the shopkeeper.

he made a mint doing this work, lots of gullible people still out there.
Old 19-07-2006, 10:54   #21
Junior Member+

yes it is a scam. report it to the police. she is probably cashing in on the recent fire cuts annoncement, but she is flogging a dead horse as it appears no one cares.
wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 13:57   #22
Senior Member+

wahay! i just spoke to a guy from LET and they're doin a story about it!!
Old 19-07-2006, 14:29   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

nice one mani, but burn the bitch.
Old 19-07-2006, 14:41   #24
Senior Member+

oh yeah for sure. i was just really annoyed the way she was threatenin us that she wud report we werent complying with hte law etc

no one threatens me!!
Old 19-07-2006, 17:40   #25
God Member

It would have been great if they were needed and a decent price
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 18:23   #26
Senior Member+

wait for her to come back, lock the door and ring the police...then sit back and watch her squirm....what she has said is a load of crap...health and safety wouldnt come down on you as it would be part of your insurance policy to provide a fire point/extinguishers and as long as you have and have them re-filled or re-tested every 3 years or so your fine..get her done !
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 19:19   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

First rule, when someone claims to be from a government department (which the HSE is) or the local Council, ask to see their ID. If they are genuine they will have one, containing a photograph and the department's logo. If you are still not sure, ring their office telephone number, while they are there, and check them out. You should be able to find any department's number in the phone book. Any genuine official will have absolutely no objection to you doing this.

This woman was nothing but a very determined, and very dishonest, saleswoman.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:51   #28
God Member

I saw the piece in the paper - they gave it almost a full page - excellent, well done for letting people know.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 15:38   #29
Resting in Peace

Yes i saw it too good one mani hope it gets sorted (you could have told them you had put it on AccringtonWeb site hehe)
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 16:12   #30
Senior Member+

i did!!!

i emailed the telegraph dude wiht a link to this thread and how i got advice on what to do off this site

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..