Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-07-2007, 00:13   #1
God Member

Smile Boozers beware -you are next

The same chap who recommended the smoking ban is now after a reduction in alcohol consumption
Call For Higher Alcohol Taxes (from Lancashire Telegraph)?

What will be next after that? (I'm OK given up that one already )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-07-2007, 00:15   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Boozers beware -you are next

Are we looking at the possibility of 'a pub with no beer'?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 05:40   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
guess music files are not allowed , just tried to post the Slim Dusty song "a pub with no beer" but the site would not allow it guess its a copyright/file sharing thing
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 06:57   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
There's one in Rawtenstall already...it's called a Temperance Bar. Personally, I shudder at the very thought of it!
Old 21-07-2007, 09:34   #5
mez
God Member

well if that happens the supermarkets are going to be a d**m site richer & more drinking at home ..................but will kill the socoal side of life .................HELP were would the accyweb meets be, the drink dosn't bother me but the socail side does.
Old 21-07-2007, 09:58   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
guess music files are not allowed , just tried to post the Slim Dusty song "a pub with no beer" but the site would not allow it guess its a copyright/file sharing thing
just reminded me got the single (green columbia) used to bring tears to me best mates eyes pmsl, its nowt new just scaremongering tax always has always will go on beer,spirits etc.
Old 21-07-2007, 10:01   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
There's one in Rawtenstall already...it's called a Temperance Bar. Personally, I shudder at the very thought of it!
Hasn't that been there for donkey's years? There was another Temperance Inn near Sedbergh in Yorkshire, but I think it closed down.

I don't see the harm in them, as long as there're alternatives too.
Old 21-07-2007, 10:06   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
just reminded me got the single (green columbia) used to bring tears to me best mates eyes pmsl, its nowt new just scaremongering tax always has always will go on beer,spirits etc.
This chief medical officer seems to always get his way. Just be prepared for massive increases in tax on alcohol which will drive more pubs out of business, and reduce the amount we can afford to drink. He also recommends revoking the 24 hours licencing. It wont be a ban like the cigarettes is - just price it off the scale of affordability.

I suppose that yesterday was 'a good time to bury bad news' because of the floods and Harry Potter.

Old 21-07-2007, 10:34   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This chief medical officer seems to always get his way. Just be prepared for massive increases in tax on alcohol which will drive more pubs out of business, and reduce the amount we can afford to drink. He also recommends revoking the 24 hours licencing. It wont be a ban like the cigarettes is - just price it off the scale of affordability.

I suppose that yesterday was 'a good time to bury bad news' because of the floods and Harry Potter.
oh i agree margaret, read something about 10 days ago that the intent is to " Bounce Booze"it will put more out of business,but still think pubs will continue as normal, just there will be less of em
Old 21-07-2007, 10:36   #10
God Member

Oh how marvellous.So does this chap want us all to meet our friends in the pub for a pot of tea and a gypsy cream? I'm not in favour of 24 hour drinking myself but I don't want it banned altogether.Whatever next?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 10:54   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Oh how marvellous.So does this chap want us all to meet our friends in the pub for a pot of tea and a gypsy cream? I'm not in favour of 24 hour drinking myself but I don't want it banned altogether.Whatever next?
Same fellow says we must eat healthy food, not junk food.
Offal is good for you so Sunday dinner will be Haggis with Curry Sauce and ginger beer.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2007, 10:55   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I imagine we will end up with those continental type cafe/bars which serve drinks, snacks, coffee and tea.
In Italy they seem to be the social gathering places.
They dont have the same atmosphere as a traditional pub, but at least folks have somewhere to go to meet friends and exchange chat.

Old 21-07-2007, 10:57   #13
Senior Member+

I think there's a little over-reaction to all this. Advocating eating a healthier diet and drinking less, is common sense nowadays isn't it? I'm not saying I do it (I am trying), but I know it's what I should be doing.

There is no way that the country will go down the road of prohibition, but there is a drink-led culture in this country that needs to be addressed.
Old 21-07-2007, 10:59   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
Same fellow says we must eat healthy food, not junk food.
Offal is good for you so Sunday dinner will be Haggis with Curry Sauce and ginger beer.
Food is VAT free at present - they are considering adding VAT to food which they consider to be damaging to health.

Old 21-07-2007, 11:01   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
I think there's a little over-reaction to all this. Advocating eating a healthier diet and drinking less, is common sense nowadays isn't it? I'm not saying I do it (I am trying), but I know it's what I should be doing.

There is no way that the country will go down the road of prohibition, but there is a drink-led culture in this country that needs to be addressed.
that just about sums it up- Dead Right.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..