Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-11-2009, 09:26   #1
Resting in Peace

Brown is planning to apologies

It appears our illustrious Prime Minister Gordon Brown is going to apologies for kids being sent to Australia in the 40s and 50s, bravo. I would make more sense if he actually apologies about things that have his fingerprints all over, such as the mass debt he'll leave, a wrecked pension scheme, two illegal wars, failure to allow us a vote on the Lisbon Treaty and generally making a dogs breakfast of running the country. Its pretty howell apologising for something he had nothing to do with when he could bare his soul and apologies for all the cock ups and broken promises he's presided over
Old 18-11-2009, 09:32   #2
God Member

Re: Brown is planning to apologies

We are getting lots of apologies recently - a sign that conciences are being stirred.
Some people need to apologise for being born...somehow I don't think we will ever see that

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 13:27   #3
Beacon of light

I don't get these folk....how can you apologise for something which you have had no part in?

Brown has lots to apologise for, but sending these unfortunate children to the other side of the world isn't one of them...but he could start off by apologising to the people he robbed by doubling their tax bill........tax up from 10p in the pound to 20p.....he could apologise for selling off our gold reserves at a fraction of their value.
And those are only two things that he has had his grimy mitts on.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 21:28   #4
Resting in Peace

I'm sorry Jaysay, but I don't think it is appropriate for you to use this story as a political platform for what other things the Labour Govenment should apologise.

I found this story extremely moving .. something I knew nothing about ... even though it was happening in my lifetime.

These people just wanted recognition of the truth, and that is what the Australian government have given them so far .. to be believed for their stories, which have been heart rendereing.

Children shipped out of foster homes and orphanages (even when some of their parents were still alive) because Australia thought they would be good white stock to build up the population of their country. Lots were used mearly as slave labour, working 5.30 a.m. >> 8.00 p.m. on farms, etc. Some sexually abused, brothers and sisters separated.

The apology was of no use to them, but the recognition that this occurred was everything. I wept at some of their stories.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 21:33   #5
God Member

Coincidentally I switched on radio4 tonight and there was a programme discussing this 'apology' and others ....can be heard here -
BBC iPlayer - Moral Maze: 18/11/2009

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 22:27   #6
God Member

This 'apology' is just another typical trick used by Politicians and Civil servants to protect their own....the story has been around for the last twenty odd years but no one "in power " wanted to touch it ........if it had been looked into then , maybe some of those responsible for shipping the children overseas would have still been around to answer a question or two , now forty odd years later its probably to late to ask questions and the 'establishment' is safe and sound.
It would be intersting to know how many of those responsible have been awarded OBEs, MBEs etc. for srvices to children .
Just another reason of why the 50 year rule about keeping Govt. secrets should be scrapped .

Last edited by steeljack; 18-11-2009 at 22:30.
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 08:31   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I'm sorry Jaysay, but I don't think it is appropriate for you to use this story as a political platform for what other things the Labour Govenment should apologise.

I found this story extremely moving .. something I knew nothing about ... even though it was happening in my lifetime.

These people just wanted recognition of the truth, and that is what the Australian government have given them so far .. to be believed for their stories, which have been heart rendereing.

Children shipped out of foster homes and orphanages (even when some of their parents were still alive) because Australia thought they would be good white stock to build up the population of their country. Lots were used mearly as slave labour, working 5.30 a.m. >> 8.00 p.m. on farms, etc. Some sexually abused, brothers and sisters separated.

The apology was of no use to them, but the recognition that this occurred was everything. I wept at some of their stories.
I can never see the point in apologising for something you had nothing to do with, its just window dressing to deflect attention from modern day failings. There have been millions of mistakes made over the centuries, are we going to apologies for them all
Old 19-11-2009, 08:52   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I can never see the point in apologising for something you had nothing to do with, its just window dressing to deflect attention from modern day failings. There have been millions of mistakes made over the centuries, are we going to apologies for them all
ah but would you have posted it,if there was a consevative P.M.? somehow i doubt that.
Old 19-11-2009, 09:07   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
ah but would you have posted it,if there was a conservative P.M.? somehow i doubt that.
Never underestimate a man with principals cashy my old mate, it makes no difference to me which party it is if something is stupid its stupid end of
Old 19-11-2009, 09:37   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Never underestimate a man with principals cashy my old mate, it makes no difference to me which party it is if something is stupid its stupid end of
Oh dear, you've got principles, that's very worrying, it's the same as people with standards always seems convenient to let them slip at the most insincere moment.

At least while I have neither principles nor standards I'm consistent!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 09:41   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Oh dear, you've got principles, that's very worrying, it's the same as people with standards always seems convenient to let them slip at the most insincere moment.

At least while I have neither principles nor standards I'm consistent!

always have had and always will Less, in my book something that's wrong is wrong irrespective of who does it or says it
Old 19-11-2009, 12:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
This apology is simply a recognition that British and Austrialian Governments treated British children in a disgusting manner, at least those children (now adults) have had some sort of recompense.
I don't understand why some people are getting all worked up about this apology... but then I do understand .. it's really about having a pop at Brown.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 13:53   #13
Beacon of light

I'm not having a 'pop' at anyone.
And while I agree that recognising that such inhumane things happened, I feel that it is insincere to apologise for something that you had no part in, and therefore it devalues the apology.
My feeling is, that you can only apologise, and make reparation for the things that you were personally accountable for....apologising for anything else is just a sham.
Old 19-11-2009, 15:00   #14
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I'm not having a 'pop' at anyone.
And while I agree that recognising that such inhumane things happened, I feel that it is insincere to apologise for something that you had no part in, and therefore it devalues the apology.
My feeling is, that you can only apologise, and make reparation for the things that you were personally accountable for....apologising for anything else is just a sham.
Sorry Margaret, but when he apologises, he is not apologising for any other reason than he is in charge now and acknowledging that the U.K. Governments & the Australian Governments were prepared to send or receive children into slavery.
He isn't apologising on his own behalf but on behalf of all the adults of all parties that where prepared to turn a blind eye to dealing with unfortunate children in this way.

1967 when they finally stopped this trade in cheap labour I was only 15, but there where supposedly Government's of various parties that allowed children of my age to be abused in this manner, he is apologising for everyone of our population that forced children out of this country at the same time as encouraging immigrants here with a tantalising, 'Land of Milk & Honey', wrong for the Children and wrong for those that suffered the prejudice of the 50's & 60's.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2009, 18:12   #15
Beacon of light

Less.......I still think it is wrong......he had no part in the policy decisions which led to such events, and as such, cannot really be held accountable.
No more than Kevin Rudd, the Australian Prime Minister can be held accountable...these apologies mean absolutely nothing.

If I were one of these unfortunate people who had been treated in such a manner, I would be offended by these 'sham' apologies.
But that is just my own opinion.

I was 20 when the last of these children were sent overseas(some to Australia, some to Canada)...I knew nothing about their plight, so can I be held responsible just because I was one of the population...even though I was ignorant of the events?

I think that if you know about a situation and allow it to happen then you are culpable.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..