Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2009, 18:33   #166
Full Member+

Re: brown just go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
It really doesn't matter to me whether Brown stays or leaves ... but that last sentence doesn't really make sense. You say he is presiding over a "calamitous situation." This might be the case: so is President Obama and our PM Stephen Harper. But I don't see how he can be blamed for the mess .... maybe he is useless as a PM, and that is probably a good reason for giving him the boot; but he surely can't be held responsible for the economic mess that is being shared by most of the rest of the world.

If he holds on to power for a while, until the economic turn around arives, he might be able to claim responsibility for it. Over here, we are officially out of recession with modest growth for the last quarter of the year; and a growth of about 4% next year ... and already the Conservatives are claiming responsibility and are looking to ride the good news to an electoral victory.
I may be suffering from tunnel vision, but having experienced labour's previous administrative cock-ups which have always cost the tax payer dear, I see no reason whatsoever to laud a washed up twit who should never have been given the job in the first place.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-07-2009, 18:38   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
I may be suffering from tunnel vision, but having experienced labour's previous administrative cock-ups which have always cost the tax payer dear, I see no reason whatsoever to laud a washed up twit who should never have been given the job in the first place.
From what I read in the press, I can agree with the last part. However, there seems to be no shortage of "washed up twits" in politics ... there sure as hell is no shortage of them in Ottawa.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 19:31   #168
God Member

Quote:
Harold Wilson; Michael Foot; James Callaghan; previous labour prime ministers who, like the present nincompoop incumbent, did their level best to ruin the country. None of them, however, presided over the calamitous situation that this scottish toad has managed to wreak upon the nation.
I have left this for three days in the hope that someone of our labour fraternity would pick this up and comment....but alas no

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 19:53   #169
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I have left this for three days in the hope that someone of our labour fraternity would pick this up and comment....but alas no
Maybe they are keeping their fingers crossed; hoping you wouldn't notice
But I don't think you can blame the mess on one person. That shifts the blame from the millions who voted for Labour, and the more millions that sit on their assses while their country goes down the tubes, and slips gently into that homogenized mess, the EU. Over here, we are becoming more nationalistic as a country .... even the Emperor of Japan, on a recent visit, commented on the overt patriotism he saw in Canada. If Brown goes, and no doubt he will, I hope the voters elect someone who stands on his hind legs and speaks out for Great Britain first .... and screw the rest of the world if they don't like it. Even tho' Mexico is a member of NAFTA, it didn't stop our govt. from making Mexican visitors have a visa as well as a passport to visit our country. They don't like it; they protested; Screw 'em. This is our country; we make the rules. I just wish Britain would do the same ... it's a country which, for better or worse, shaped the world ... and probably in the early days of the second world war, saved the world. It's a damn shame ... and, it's unfair to dump all the blame on one man. Ineffective he may be; but I just can't see him as the villain of the piece.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 20:10   #170
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe they are keeping their fingers crossed; hoping you wouldn't notice
But I don't think you can blame the mess on one person. That shifts the blame from the millions who voted for Labour, and the more millions that sit on their assses while their country goes down the tubes, and slips gently into that homogenized mess, the EU. Over here, we are becoming more nationalistic as a country .... even the Emperor of Japan, on a recent visit, commented on the overt patriotism he saw in Canada. If Brown goes, and no doubt he will, I hope the voters elect someone who stands on his hind legs and speaks out for Great Britain first .... and screw the rest of the world if they don't like it. Even tho' Mexico is a member of NAFTA, it didn't stop our govt. from making Mexican visitors have a visa as well as a passport to visit our country. They don't like it; they protested; Screw 'em. This is our country; we make the rules. I just wish Britain would do the same ... it's a country which, for better or worse, shaped the world ... and probably in the early days of the second world war, saved the world. It's a damn shame ... and, it's unfair to dump all the blame on one man. Ineffective he may be; but I just can't see him as the villain of the piece.
Eric....There but for the grace of god go we.
No one, but no one has had the balls to stand up and say: we won our freedom and if you wish to take it from us go for it pal.
I am sorry Eric, but I have run out of words.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 10:40   #171
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
No need to pass comment, he just won't be asked to be on the Accy Web quiz team.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 11:12   #172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
No need to pass comment, he just won't be asked to be on the Accy Web quiz team.
Oh I don't know Rindi he may be able to answer some of the American Baseball and football Questions and if he hasn't got the answers he'll know a man who does
Old 30-07-2009, 11:58   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Oh I don't know Rindi he may be able to answer some of the American Baseball and football Questions and if he hasn't got the answers he'll know a man who does
Well if he thinks Michael Foot was ever Prime Minister of this country, you're very welcome to have him on your team, The Politically Blinkered Players.

He should fit in nicely.

Old 30-07-2009, 14:18   #174
God Member

Look at the petition for his resignation - #1
mine is #6
Open petitions | Number10.gov.uk

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 15:57   #175
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Well if he thinks Michael Foot was ever Prime Minister of this country, you're very welcome to have him on your team, The Politically Blinkered Players.

He should fit in nicely.
I was talking about Gordon not Roy
Old 30-07-2009, 18:58   #176
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was talking about Gordon not Roy
I was talking of neither, but referring to the member who posted in this thread that Michael Foot had been P.M.

Good luck Blinkered Players.

Old 31-07-2009, 18:15   #177
Full Member+

Quote:
I was talking of neither, but referring to the member who posted in this thread that Michael Foot had been P.M.

Good luck Blinkered Players.
Michael Foot was elected leader of the labour party in 1980 and served in that capacity until 1983. Although he never became PM (gaffe on my part) he did fight and lose a general election in that capacity. My complete disillusion with past (and present) labour administrations has evidently succeeded in propelling me towards senility.
Old 31-07-2009, 18:36   #178
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Michael Foot was elected leader of the labour party in 1980 and served in that capacity until 1983... he did fight and lose a general election in that capacity.
Nobody is denying that, just your post that he served as Prime Minister.

If you get stumped with any other facts please feel free to ask.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:01   #179
Resting in Peace

Quote:

Thank god we were spared the sight of Mr Foot should at the dispatch box in his Donkey Jacket
Old 01-08-2009, 19:13   #180
Full Member+

Quote:

Sarcasm is still he lowest form of wit. An honest mistake hardly warrants same.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..