Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2010, 12:44   #1

Bt Bully tac-tics with bill payments..

Just smashed my walkabout phone by throwing it against the house wall. Silly billy you may say, well yes I am I suppose, but with good reason... Since I choose to pay my BT line rental only, every month at the post office, BT tell me they have to charge me £1.50 per month to cover costs. This is £18.00 per year that I give them out of my pension.
Their excuse is that if I sign a direct debit form, the charge will be dropped..!! Now going back to the above, I was doing something in the garden so my phone was on the kitchen unit ,to hand if it rang. Yes it rang again, the first 4 times earlier I had missed it. Recorded message from BT...Why was my phone bill not paid before today ? It is Overdue and If NOT paid we will cut you off or institute a late payment charge...Mad?? you bet I was, you see you can not phone anyone and let them have it, because it's all automated so you can not speak to a human person...Just tell me I am not alone on this one, and someone else has had this problem. The phone I smashed,? luckily I had a (one I made earlier) in the bottom drawer......
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2010, 12:54   #2
God Member

Re: Bt Bully tac-tics with bill payments..

that font is awful....

simply it costs companies mopney to deal with non electronic payments so they now look to pass that on, commercially a good idea, morally.... well I'll pass judgement

If you are late in paying then again it costs money to chase you for it and again why should they NOT charge that cost to you, your contract with them is to provide a telephone service in return for payment of fees on time. you broke your side of it so there are consequences.

IVR systems, now thats a different matter, its cheaper for teh comapny so either they can make your charges less or make more money, I'll let you say which is teh case with BT

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 12:56   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1002 View Post
It is Overdue and If NOT paid we will cut you off or institute a late payment charge...Mad?? you bet I was, you see you can not phone anyone and let them have it, because it's all automated so you can not speak to a human person...Just tell me I am not alone on this one, and someone else has had this problem. The phone I smashed,? luckily I had a (one I made earlier) in the bottom drawer......
Why would someone with a name of robot1002 want to speak to a human? Surely you are more at home speaking to a fellow automaton?

And to answer your main point no you aren't on your own, I cancelled BT over a year ago and went to virgin for my broadband. BT continue to send me threatening letters about payments that I supposedly owe, even if I get in touch with an actual human they have no record of me cancelling their service and tell me they cut me off and are currently chasing the money they claim I owe!

But what the hey, once you do get through to a human be patient and remember:-

It's Good To Talk!
Now where have I heard that before?

Last edited by Less; 24-02-2010 at 12:59.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 12:57   #4
Resting in Peace

I think I would opt for the direct debit option if I was concerned about the costs that were incurred.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 13:18   #5
God Member

BT are a rip off, i kicked them into touch years ago.........................
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 17:53   #6

Sorry about the font Entwisi, Just knocked it in the head .Oddly enough the payment was not overdue at all, it had several days to go to get to that point.
I called them about a week ago to ask if they would stop ringing to sell me free weekend and evening calls by returning to BT for all my calls. I was given a number to ring to have the calls stoped. Yep no probs the recorded voice said, we will stop ringing you after 28 days....This is the age of high speed electronics and it takes 28 days to impliment a simple request? The direct debit option I would consider if I could force myself to trust BT not to rob me, and after reading pipinfort, I think I will give this option a miss......Tony alias Robot1002 ,,,see I have a name now
robot1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 18:20   #7
Senior Member+

I hate dealing with BT, it's never anyone with any grasp of basic English for a start and if it's anything to do with the broadband they assume you are some computer anorak and start baffling you with geeky terminology.... once my contract is up with them I am offski!
Old 24-02-2010, 18:48   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
once my contract is up with them I am offski!
Might I suggest that when you do cancel do it by snail mail and keep a copy, otherwise if like me you ring to cancel you may just find some unexpected complications.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 19:16   #9
God Member

No other option but bt to some degree, least thread reminded me to pay my bill on time before the heavies pester my peace.
Posted via Mobile Device
Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 19:36   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Lindsay is a good honest girl and will pay the final bill though
Old 25-02-2010, 08:56   #11
Resting in Peace

I pay my phone and broadband by Direct Debit to BT.They send me an email telling me the account is available for inspection about two weeks before it is due and then take the amount on the agreed date.Last quarter was £98 00.(about £7.50) per week.

No problem, simples.

Old 25-02-2010, 09:48   #12
God Member

I pay everything by direct debit too, and never had any problems.
Advantages - some cheaper tariffs, saves on shoe leather/travel/postage cost of cash/cheque

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 10:14   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I pay everything by direct debit too, and never had any problems.
Advantages - some cheaper tariffs, saves on shoe leather/travel/postage cost of cash/cheque
Another advantage is that if you need to get in touch for any reason all you need to do is cancel the order and they are all over you like a cheap coat sorting out the problem.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..