Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 10:25   #1
God Member

Butt's

Cigarette ones before anyone shifts this to over 18's

Following on from Mez's issue the other week I was talking to a young lady about cigarette ends in Broadway the other week and asking how strict they are re the litter problem. ( In Burnley they have been fining you for about 3 years for dropping cigartee ends.)

The answer to my question was in the Telegraph the other day;

SMOKERS were hit with £75 fines after throwing their cigarette butts on the floor.
Two shoppers in Broadway, Accrington, and a motorist in Eastgate were spotted littering by Hyndburn Council enforc-ement officers from environmental services.

Also in the Telegraph they have been clamping down in Blackburn, but notice which one of the 3 got the heaviest fine

Three men have been ordered to pay a total of £700 for dropping litter.
The prosecutions were brought by Blackburn with Darwen Council as part of zero tolerance campaign on rubbish.
Bosses said taxi driver Mohammed Azad, of St James Road, Blackburn, was fined £70 and ordered to pay £149 court costs for throwing a cigarette butt from a black cab he was driving.
He threw the butt from the drivers' window as he drove along Bolton Road on Wednesday, March 28.
Waqqar Malik, of Pringle Street, was also fined £70 and ordered to pay £149 court costs after he threw a penalty charge notice on the ground in Church Street on Friday, March 9.
And Daniel Ostle, of Gannon Lane, Burnley, was ordered to pay a fine of £100 and £149 court costs after he was caught throwing food wrappings from the car he was driving in Bolton Road, Blackburn, on March 9.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33   #2
God Member

Re: Butt's

It's £75 for any sort of litter but only £50 for dog poop - which is a bit out of sync - should be £100 for both!!!!
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 13:16   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
It's £75 for any sort of litter but only £50 for dog poop - which is a bit out of sync - should be £100 for both!!!!
how much for human poop? was thinking of the town hall doorstep.
Old 08-06-2007, 13:22   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
how much for human poop? was thinking of the town hall doorstep.
Are you really going to bare your ar*e in public - should think that it qualifies for a short spell in Strangeways

Old 08-06-2007, 14:44   #5
Member.

I was in Blackburn on Monday first time in 30 years, having been out of the car not less than 2 min, I crossed the duel carrageway to find an Asain chap taking a **** up against some poor buggers front wall, the house not the Garden.

Dave I was wondering way the guy who was throwing food wrappings was fined £30 qiud more than the other two?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 15:13   #6
Resident Waffler

Food wrappings attract rats. Cigarette ends do not. Therefore dropping food litter is probably considered a more serious offence.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 17:32   #7
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Food wrappings attract rats. Cigarette ends do not. Therefore dropping food litter is probably considered a more serious offence.
Accepted; but I would have thought that a fag end thrown form a moving vehicle would have been an health and safety issue as well as a danger to the pedestrian public. i.e. there’s a risk of fire; or the possibility of a pedestrian, a child in a pram or animal being brunt should it have landed on one of them? But my point was litter is litter and the fine should have been the same.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 18:44   #8
Senior Member+

Whats one supposed to do if theres no cigrette end recepticable close by? With the chance of it setting a litter bin alight,thus maybe costing £££££'s,is'nt it better just to stub it out on the floor........dear me,a smoker just can't win these days
Old 08-06-2007, 18:53   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell silver View Post
Whats one supposed to do if theres no cigrette end recepticable close by? With the chance of it setting a litter bin alight,thus maybe costing £££££'s,is'nt it better just to stub it out on the floor........dear me,a smoker just can't win these days
Portable metal ashtrays with lids ensure that the stub can be safely extinguished and taken home with you. An old Baccy tin (or similar) would do the same.

Old 08-06-2007, 19:12   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Portable metal ashtrays with lids ensure that the stub can be safely extinguished and taken home with you. An old Baccy tin (or similar) would do the same.
Take it your a non smoker yourself,Margaret.Are you a driver of the automible persuasion perhaps?Then maybe you could put all your carbon monoxide emmisions in a small tin that you could carry around in your pocket & maybe carry around a recepticale of some sort to catch all the ..........sorry,i'm on a rant & well to take your argument to the extreme should'nt that mean that everyone walks around with their own personal waste disposal bag,just in case the councils budget does'nt allow for adequate waste bins & only flower baskets(though,not a vandal or yob,i'm beginning to see another use for these).Do something about the unsightly chewing gum on the streets,then maybe i'll think about where i put my cig end.
Old 08-06-2007, 19:29   #11
God Member

Quote:
Take it your a non smoker yourself,Margaret.Are you a driver of the automible persuasion perhaps?Then maybe you could put all your carbon monoxide emmisions in a small tin that you could carry around in your pocket & maybe carry around a recepticale of some sort to catch all the ..........sorry,i'm on a rant & well to take your argument to the extreme should'nt that mean that everyone walks around with their own personal waste disposal bag,just in case the councils budget does'nt allow for adequate waste bins & only flower baskets(though,not a vandal or yob,i'm beginning to see another use for these).Do something about the unsightly chewing gum on the streets,then maybe i'll think about where i put my cig end.
I do 30 a day, but most of them at home. I have no objection to carrying a small tin around. I had 2 ciggies today at open air Metro station platforms and did not leave my stubs behind. The looks of approval from other waiting passengers made that small bit of effort worthwhile, especially since I was standing amongst several stubs left there by previous travellers.

Old 08-06-2007, 20:29   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Dave I was wondering way the guy who was throwing food wrappings was fined £30 qiud more than the other two?
For feeding the flying rats.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:03   #13
Resting in Peace

I hope they get all the people that throw chewing gum down on the floor to:

not only does this look a mess, but you can't just pick it up they have to clean it with the machine....

I think this is just another way of getting more money, after all if many stop smoking ( and very goos that will be) there wont be the same income from taxes... also many buy their smokes abroad hence yet another drop in taxes... they will get us one way or another... oh and they should also put high taxes on sweets.....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 11:10   #14
Resting in peace

Quote:
Why should the non smokers have to provide the smokers with anything to put their hazardous waste into, take it home with you if you are a smoker, why expect someone else to clean up at the back of you.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:38   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
Why should the non smokers have to provide the smokers with anything to put their hazardous waste into, take it home with you if you are a smoker, why expect someone else to clean up at the back of you.
you pay for the needle bins for the druggies....
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..