Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2006, 22:05   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

Did you serve in HM Armed Forces up to and including 31st December 1954?

If so you can claim a Veterans Lapel Badge that can be worn on civilian clothes.

If you served between1/1/55 and 31/12/59 you will be entitled to a badge with effect from 27/6/06. They cannot accept applications from veterans within this new criteria until then so please do not send an application now.

Have a look at http://www.veteransagency.mod.uk/vets_badge/vets_badge.htm for details.

I’m sending for mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vets_badge.jpg (15.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg scan0163t.jpg (158.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg scan0165.jpg (148.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg scan0181.jpg (147.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg scan0359t.jpg (170.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg scan0431.jpg (98.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg scan0443.jpg (94.8 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by jambutty; 01-07-2006 at 11:03.
jambutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2006, 22:41   #2
Member.

Re: Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

My father was based in Singapore in the early 50s and saw active service in Malaya during the Emergency. He died at the age of 65 a few years back; regrettably you can’t order the badge posthumously.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea for those that are proud to have served there country and want feel part of a brotherhood of service men and woman, but I can’t help thinking that it’s a little late in the day for many and far to little a recognition for the debt that our service man and woman paid during and after facing conflict.

I’m happy to see an opportunity for veterans to be recognised as such every day as opposed to just on Remembrance Day, but I would much prefer to see and increase in pensions and state support for them rather than the badge alone.

That said it’s a good looking item and I’m envious that I won’t ever have one of my own.

Nice link, cheers Mr Butty.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 23:12   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its an excellant link jambutty and better late than never i say, though war widows who get a pension can apply doug (if i read it correctly) so thats summat i suppose. pity they havent issued one for the mods @rockers conflict in the mid 60s.
Old 17-06-2006, 08:18   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

Our servicemen and women have always been badly treated once they have done their bit and none more so than the men and women of the Merchant Navy Doug. The Merchant Marine lost more sailors than the Royal Navy during WWII.

I agree with you that it is too little and far too late and the stingy gits should make the award to everyone who served, especially those who paid the ultimate price. It would be something for their heirs to treasure. After all how much can the lapel badge cost to produce?

But then that’s always been the case with the armed services from time immemorial. The generals and admirals get a chest full of ribbons and medals for sitting in offices sending the men to their deaths and injuries. The men and women do the fighting and dying whilst the top brass get the medals.

Last edited by jambutty; 17-06-2006 at 08:53.
Old 17-06-2006, 08:39   #5

Excellent info JB.I'll definitely be applying for my badge having served in the RN from 1951 until 1963. Many thanks. T.C.
Old 19-06-2006, 15:19   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.
Excellent info JB.I'll definitely be applying for my badge having served in the RN from 1951 until 1963. Many thanks. T.C.
Aye Aye.............I trust the mainbrace will be sliced (in the Stag) once you get it!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 11:33   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

On Monday the 19th June, instead of using the form that I had downloaded to send to the Veteran’s Agency by snail mail (Yet another QUANGO but at least this one serves a useful purpose) I opted to give them a ring at Thornton-Cleveleys – an 0800 number so it were FREE. They took down my details like D.O.B, service number (the one that you will remember on your deathbed) address etc and informed me that the lapel badge would be sent within the next 14 days.

Today the package was pushed through my letterbox. Less than 4 days! Wouldn’t it be nice if other government agencies were just half as efficient?

The package contained a booklet with information for veterans, an A4 sized (ooops! I meant A5 - sorry) certificate and the lapel badge in a box that has a footprint of half the size of a fag packet and about twice as thick. Pity that they didn’t personalise the certificate with the name of the recipient. But then I can do that for myself. Scan the certificate and add my details, then print it out.

The lapel badge is tiny – 25 mm tall and 20 mm wide at the widest point. If they had made it any smaller they would have had to use nano technology to do so. There is a peculiar indentation near the centre and try as I might I cannot undo the clip to get the badge off the card. Is my badge a factory reject and if it is are they trying to say something by sending it?

I rang the agency to inform them of the defective lapel badge and I was asked to return it and they will send me another one.

But let us be grateful that even at this late stage the government has recognised, albeit in a very small way, ex servicemen’s and women’s contribution to the country as it is today. Without them, and I mean those who did the fighting and dying in WWII and not so much those of us who came after, we would probably all be speaking German.

Sadly Tealeaf the mainbrace hasn’t been spliced (not sliced) since the 31st July 1970 when the very last tot of rum was served to the men of the Royal Navy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0548.jpg (135.7 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by jambutty; 05-08-2006 at 10:31.
Old 22-06-2006, 13:58   #8
God Member

Not impressed, my grandads dead now, so it's too late, and to add insult my nan can't even claim it to put with his medals.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 17:22   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

I don’t think that the veterans are bothered whether you are impressed or not Madhatter.

I’m sorry that your granddad has died but we all have to go at some time. I’m sorry that your nan can’t claim a badge on his behalf but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Although I think that a living spouse or child should be able to claim the award on the deceased behalf.

In any case this award is not about you but about those who gave their lives and health and were prepared to give their lives and health just so you could be unimpressed with a tiny recognition of what they did.
Old 22-06-2006, 17:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
On Monday the 19th June, instead of using the form that I had downloaded to send to the Veteran’s Agency by snail mail (Yet another QUANGO but at least this one serves a useful purpose) I opted to give them a ring at Thornton-Cleveleys – an 0800 number so it were FREE. They took down my details like D.O.B, service number (the one that you will remember on your deathbed) address etc and informed me that the lapel badge would be sent within the next 14 days.

Today the package was pushed through my letterbox. Less than 4 days! Wouldn’t it be nice if other government agencies were just half as efficient?

The package contained a booklet with information for veterans, an A4 sized certificate and the lapel badge in a box that has a footprint of half the size of a fag packet and about twice as thick. Pity that they didn’t personalise the certificate with the name of the recipient. But then I can do that for myself. Scan the certificate and add my details, then print it out.

The lapel badge is tiny – 25 mm tall and 20 mm wide at the widest point. If they had made it any smaller they would have had to use nano technology to do so. There is a peculiar indentation near the centre and try as I might I cannot undo the clip to get the badge off the card. Is my badge a factory reject and if it is are they trying to say something by sending it?

I rang the agency to inform them of the defective lapel badge and I was asked to return it and they will send me another one.

But let us be grateful that even at this late stage the government has recognised, albeit in a very small way, ex servicemen’s and women’s contribution to the country as it is today. Without them, and I mean those who did the fighting and dying in WWII and not so much those of us who came after, we would probably all be speaking German.

Sadly Tealeaf the mainbrace hasn’t been spliced (not sliced) since the 31st July 1970 when the very last tot of rum was served to the men of the Royal Navy.
Like you J.B. I phoned the 0800 number, and was informed by a lady receptionist that after leaving my address and phone number that I would be contacted. By Tuesday afternoon ther had been no contact, so I rang the 0800 number again. I was spoken to by a man named John, who seemed surprised at the treatment that I had previously received. He took my particulars, D.O.B. service number etc, and informed me that I would receive my badge in approx. 14 days. Here's hoping I get the same express service as J.B.
Old 22-06-2006, 18:30   #11
God Member

Quote:
I don’t think that the veterans are bothered whether you are impressed or not Madhatter.

I’m sorry that your granddad has died but we all have to go at some time. I’m sorry that your nan can’t claim a badge on his behalf but a line has to be drawn somewhere. Although I think that a living spouse or child should be able to claim the award on the deceased behalf.

In any case this award is not about you but about those who gave their lives and health and were prepared to give their lives and health just so you could be unimpressed with a tiny recognition of what they did.
exactly and those that gave their lives, their whole lives or part of their lives and have later died would want their spouses to be able to claim this on their behalf. He did his bit and now can't claim his badge, and can't get anyone to do so for him.
veterans should be bothered, because i'm avoice of the family of a dead veteran, and many other members of veterans families will be unimpressed and hurt too.
When I first read this, I thought great, nan will be really happy that she can get this, it will make her so proud, but no, silly me, thinking they'd actually care about the ones that survived and later died, and the families of.
wear it with pride jambutty, it will probably be the last token of recognition you'll ever get off this country.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2006, 12:52   #12
Apprentice Geriatric

Red face Re: Calling all veteran ex servicemen!

Take your complaint to the MOD Madhatter.
Old 24-06-2006, 09:17   #13

Quote:

The package contained a booklet with information for veterans, an A4 sized (ooops! I meant A5 - sorry) certificate and the lapel badge in a box that has a footprint of half the size of a fag packet and about twice as thick. Pity that they didn’t personalise the certificate with the name of the recipient. But then I can do that for myself. Scan the certificate and add my details, then print it out.

Nice to see you were one of the greenies J.B. I was LEM/AIR L/FX903600.
My vets badge arrived this morning. Just four days after application. Arrived in a well padded envelope. Fastening device on badge is old type safety pin with roll over locking device. Very pleased with it, and it will be worn at all times with pride. best wishes and thanks. T.C.
Old 26-06-2006, 17:59   #14
Apprentice Geriatric

Tomorrow the 27th June 2006 is the HM Armed Forces Veteran’s Day.

As far as I am aware there will be no parades or a minute’s silence or a service by a war memorial but that doesn’t matter.

Could people spare just a few seconds from their busy lives to reflect and appreciate that but for those veterans their busy lives would probably have been vastly different to what they are today?

I wanted to become an electrician (air) T.C. but the powers that be decided that my aptitude test qualified me for the radio/radar maintenance part.
Old 27-06-2006, 09:16   #15
Apprentice Geriatric

Today is one of the few days in a year where I was up and about before 8 o’clock but it did mean that I was able to listen to an early morning news bulletin and pricked up my ears for one item.

According to that bulletin, earlier this year, Gordon Brown decided that 27th June 2006 would be the first of a regular annual day to celebrate Veteran’s Day. The 27th was chosen because it is the day after the day that the first VC was awarded on 26th June 1857, as decreed by Queen Victoria.

To facilitate the distribution of the award the Veterans Agency (a Quango) was formed but it would appear that their brief is only to respond to claims and not contact all ex servicemen and women who qualify for the award.

If it weren’t for the chance reading on BBC Ceefax about the award I would have known nothing about it. It just goes to show how much the government value those veterans of years gone by. As usual a government initiative has not been thought through and only living veterans can make a claim leaving the remaining spouse and children outside of the loop.

As much as I appreciate the gesture, small that it is, it is an absolute scandal not to award the lapel badge posthumously so that the surviving spouse or child (if the spouse is dead) of the veteran can claim the award on behalf of the veteran. That really is mean and stingy. After all how much can the badge cost? I’ll bet that it costs more to run the Quango than it does to supply the lapel badges.

In fact the Veterans Agency is duplicating what the three arms of the armed forces ex-servicemen and women welfare organisations already do. Namely that an ex-serviceman or woman can invoke the help of the welfare organisation should they need it for whatever reason.

I have written to the Veterans Agency and my MP to point out the scandalous omission and ask that it be corrected.

It would be helpful if other recipients of the award did the same.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..