Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2009, 13:40   #1
God Member

cameras on traffic lights

i never thought i would ever say this but its about time we got cameras on traffic lights to catch red light shooters especially at dill hall lane where express gifts is and on blackburn road near where afrikas/dolly greys used to be

teh speed these morons are shooting through long after the light has gone red is getting beyond a joke and at the dill hall lane lights at 5pm you can get between 4 to 8 cars still nipping through long after tehir light has gone red causing those with teh green light to sometimes have to wait as their light goes back to red leavingthem stranded in no mans land, it also causes problems for those waiting to turn right in teh yellow box because they cant get out due to a constant stream of cars shooting through on red

ok moan over but they could make thousands putting camera units on teh lights and in my opinion shooting a red light is a lot more dangerous than speeding

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-10-2009, 14:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: cameras on traffic lights

Red-light cameras exist. They are in mainstream use across
Manchester. They work very much in the same way as speed cameras.

Just not reached us yet..

Perhaps worth a query with the LCC and suggestions for certain lights.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:18   #3
God Member

More costs on the county rate levy
......as if we weren't being watched enough
......why don't they design a camera to be worn on the forehead of everyone venturing outside their home.

Oooops - I have to be careful what I wish for

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2009, 15:44   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
......why don't they design a camera to be worn on the forehead of everyone venturing outside their home.

Well they have cops with them on their heads Margaret
Old 13-10-2009, 19:08   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well they have cops with them on their heads Margaret
Yeah ... they just slip them on over the pointy part
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 14:27   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

there is a big difference between monitoring everyones movement and catching morons deliberatly endangering lives , also these cameras take photos not record video footage so their privacy is only violated while they are actually breaking the law

i tought a paranoid nut like you would be up to speed on what sort of cameras do what lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 14-10-2009, 15:46   #7
Resting in Peace

I did e-mail the L.C.C. expressing our concerns on the issue of red light jumping and asking if they had any plans to install these cameras around Hyndburn ... this is the reply :-

'Kate

During the 1990's, Lancashire County Council purchased a red light camera and identified 6 locations for the installation of housings in which to deploy the camera. The locations were generally in the Preston area and sites selected following detailed analysis of collision records at traffic signals. The direction that the camera faced was determined by the direction that the majority of red light violation collisions had occurred at each junction.

The 6 sites have been continually monitored and a report produced in June 2005 showed that on average across the 6 locations, injury collisions had fallen by 10.6% from 21.6 to 19.3 per year. Further analysis is now being carried out looking at the occurrence of injury collisions at traffic signals over the three year period from 2006 to 2008 inclusive. After that the Partnership will be reviewing its strategy towards red light cameras but to date no firm decisions have been made

I hope the above is of some assistance

Steve Whitehouse
Project Manager
Lancashire Partnership for Road Safety
Guild House
Cross Street
Preston
PR1 8RD
Tel 01772 532411
Mob 0781 553 1567
Fax: 01772 531365
Get all the latest news at www.safe2travel.co.uk '

Slow progress, but at least they are monitoring the budget on these to see whether will be effective.

Funnily enough, did notice that there was one of those yellow triangle warning signs on the 30 mph poles today warning you of a CCTV camera at the Dill Hall traffic lights which I had never noticed before ... thought blimey, that's service for ya' ...
Old 14-10-2009, 20:39   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

The CCTV sign has been there for ages.

What I find wrong is that they only target accident black spots. In other words they wait until someone is killed then think they better look like they care after the fact. They need to be more proactive and monitor traffic and add red light cameras where red light jumping is a problem and speed cameras where speeding is a problem before someone is killed.

Ordinary CCTV could be used to manually monitor some traffic lights and issue fines and then make a big thing about it in the paper to act as a deterrent to others.
Old 15-10-2009, 07:36   #9
Resting in Peace

Have consulted...

'Not 100% sure what the question is...

However - the transport authority can only respond to issues as they are
presented. The number of red-light violations are actually relatively
low - they are mostly self enforcing because you have moving traffic
coming across your direction of travel. To suggest that CCTV should be
used to monitor driver behaviour at junctions is not a ridiculous idea
and they do this in London (to fine yellow box violators, banned turn
violators etc). There is a significant cost attached to this and the
revenue generated (from fines) would have to be used to finance the
infrastructure, equipment and manpower required to monitor these
junctions. As incidences of red-light jumping are relatively low, it is
unlikely that the revenue generated would be adequate to finance such an
undertaking. In any case it would require a huge amount of manpower to
monitor every red-light junction in Lancashire!

The police are required to record certain information about incidents in
their police authority. This is then passed to the transport authority
who use the data to establish the reasons for incidents. It is right
that they respond, based on the available data, with action to eliminate
red-light jumping where it is seen to be causing incidents. People need
to bear a certain amount of responsibility for their own behaviour. The
alternative would be police officer marshalling every junction, speed
humps on every road, pedestrian crossings every 20 metres etc, etc, etc.
That might sound a little flippant but the transport authority can only
make decisions based on available evidence and does not have the
resources to be so 'pro-active' that they monitor every junction in
Lancashire. It would appear that the cameras have not been that
successful in reducing red-light jumping anyway - a 10% reduction is not
great and how does that correlate with incident rates? Overall figures
suggest that there are only (based on figures below) 19 incidents per
year - I bet if you compared that with speeding there would be a massive
difference in these figures!

Hope this helps.'
Old 15-10-2009, 12:10   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
There is a significant cost attached to this and the
revenue generated (from fines) would have to be used to finance the
infrastructure, equipment and manpower required to monitor these
junctions. As incidences of red-light jumping are relatively low, it is
unlikely that the revenue generated would be adequate to finance such an
undertaking. In any case it would require a huge amount of manpower to
monitor every red-light junction in Lancashire!'
what a load of lies

those cameras are monitored 24 hours a day so somone is already been paid to monitor them and just like any offence the person monitoring them can zoom in , playback and report the crime to a police unit who will basically go round to the registered keepers address later on if no police unit is available to respond as it is all recorded

i know this because a friend of mine works for the police and has on many occasions sent police to peoples houses who thought they had got away with driving like a knob and besides no one so far has suggested all traffic lights be monitored but only selected problem ones

lol i quoted katex but i am saying teh person who told her that sorry tale was full of crap not katex herself

Last edited by accyman; 15-10-2009 at 12:12.
Old 15-10-2009, 12:19   #11
God Member

CCTV cameras provide jobs for paraplegics so I do find some tolerable
...and all those who are about to be moved from IB to JSA that can't do physical work

Last edited by MargaretR; 15-10-2009 at 12:21.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 12:39   #12
Senior Member+

I agree cameras at dill hall would be a good idea.

LCC wont make enough Revenue from the camera's, that the crunch here, not safty.
Old 15-10-2009, 14:55   #13
God Member

in huddersfield not many people rush through on amber since cars started getting flashed as soon as teh light goes red you get flashed so it isnt worth teh risk

LCC's response on teh phone was that they tried them in preston and found that people were slamming on to avoid getting flashed by teh camera resulting in them getting hit from behind by the car behind

2 thoughts here

1: if teh offender was getting flashed for going through on red what on earth was teh car behind him doing going through as well to be in a position where they could rear end teh car infront

2: its up to teh driver behind to allow enough space to stop and avoid a collision should the car infront suddenly brake so its their own tough luck

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..