Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2009, 07:21   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Cancer Care Fundraising

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
an owd saying of my Grandad ...."anyone who does owt for nowt is a thief "
Some of us are just trying to be good people and volunteer our time to try and help make things better.
Old 26-01-2009, 07:49   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Some of us are just trying to be good people and volunteer our time to try and help make things better.

hey , don't kick me , its not for nothing that the number one award for local 'civic' effort/service, the OBE is known in Lancashire as "Other B*****s Effort "

the word we are not allowd to say
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 20:01   #18
God Member

I don't think it is a very good attitude to slate those who do good things for some ulterior motive anyway, if nobody did that then its likely that lots of charities wouldn't be possible at all and we'd have a lot more suffering in the world than we do now. I've always been involved in some form of charity work though from campaigning, fundraising or just communication like via amnesty international.

I haven't financially gained from any of it yet, and I haven't had any major recognition for anything I have been a part of. It's always pretty satisfying though.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 09:43   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
hey , don't kick me , its not for nothing that the number one award for local 'civic' effort/service, the OBE is known in Lancashire as "Other B*****s Effort "

the word we are not allowd to say
There are people who give up their time to make a difference in their own communities, prime examples are Gayle and Neil with their work with Friends Of Rhyddings Park, is a matter of doing your bit, and if more people did the same we would have a better town for everybody, nay Country
Old 12-02-2009, 12:57   #20
God Member

I'd just like to update you all on my progress so far with this because I am a big believer in keeping people well informed!

I've organised a charity night at university in one of the college bars to be held on February 26th. Yes, short notice, perhaps I'm slightly crazy but I've never been afraid of a challenge!

We're having a charity raffle, a fancy dress competition in the theme of pirates, which is a popular theme for student nights so the idea is that people will already have costumes, and live music.

Local businesses and larger chain businesses have been supporting us with raffle prizes and I currently have bath sets, food vouchers, a gym pass, flowers, teddy bears, fancy dress items just to name a few!

I'm EXTREMELY excited and I'm just hoping people attend our events. I met up with the fundraising co-ordinator from Cancer Care today to pick up sweatshirts with their logo on as well as collection boxes and she was extremely encouraging and excited about my event and she'll be attended to decide upon the best pirate of the evening.

It is amazing how it is all coming together.

This is a LOCAL charity which is very much dependent on people like me organising these events and it is a massively important cause which helps all sorts of people. Just the other day I saw a gentleman volunteering his time and car for the charity as a volunteer driver and the charity pays for things like petrol and they drive elderly people to and from hospital and such, and they're just invaluable.

I care very much about this cause and I hope people want to support me in raising funds for this cause.

I'm hoping I can raise at least £200, a modest but substantial amount considering the time I've got to pull this all together. If everyone I knew donated £1 then I'd make so much money, even just 50p, but for postage donations I wouldn't make very much money once I'd paid for the stamp.

Thanks for the time it has taken for you to read my long message anyway, I do get carried away when I get excited!

Last edited by Mick; 12-02-2009 at 13:08.
Old 12-02-2009, 13:05   #21
Senior Member+

Do you have access to a paypal account? I would be more than happy to make a small donation to the cause that way (dont like sending cash in the post)
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 13:09   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Do you have access to a paypal account? I would be more than happy to make a small donation to the cause that way (dont like sending cash in the post)
I do, though I haven't used it for quite some time. I'll sort it out and then pass on the details via PM

I'm shaking with excitement about this event which isn't doing my piles of essays much good but nevermind!
Old 12-02-2009, 13:10   #23
God Member

Also on that note, I do have an empty bank account so any money that goes via paypal will either be cashed through that and handed over in cash to the charity or I'll directly transfer it all over to them (presumably they have a bank account for funds).

So it won't come into contact with any of my own personal funds at any time.
Old 12-02-2009, 13:10   #24
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I do, though I haven't used it for quite some time. I'll sort it out and then pass on the details via PM

I'm shaking with excitement about this event which isn't doing my piles of essays much good but nevermind!
Okies, just let me know when its sorted and I will forward a couple of quid your way

Maybe some other members would be willing to do the same??
Old 12-02-2009, 13:20   #25
God Member

OK i'm not allowed to ask for donations, it breaks forum rules. Anyone interested in my cause just get in touch and I'll tell you more about what I am doing and what I'm hoping to achieve and so on.

I'm a naughty mare.
Old 12-02-2009, 13:38   #26
Senior Member+

I have voluntarily made a donation

It should be electronically making its way to you now
Old 12-02-2009, 16:31   #27
God Member

If anyone is interested, I've managed to get around £150 worth of prizes for the charity raffle so far too. If only you could see my big beaming smile!
Old 12-02-2009, 16:52   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just keep at it as yer time permits,well done.
Old 27-02-2009, 01:04   #29
God Member

Just wanted to let everyone know that this evening we raised an estimated £400 for Cancer Care, though it has yet to be officially counted.

Basically the pictures above are of me and my team, the blonde woman in the middle and on stage with me being Nicki Hearne, the Fundraising Coordinator at Cancer Care. The picture of me eating cake is from a local based business named the Yummy Cupcake Company (that I highly recommend if you are ever in Lancaster) which supported us with a raffle prize in return for our support through advertising on our posters to an obviously massive student audience. The cakes in the bottom picture are what I baked in the morning before the event to raise a bit of extra money. I baked 95 fairy cakes and some people paid as much as £1 just for one, so we're hoping that we've raised an excellent amount of money for the cause.

Thank you to the accywebbers who supported the charity and my team, every donation helps make a big difference.
Old 27-02-2009, 22:02   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

good result blaze,am well pleased fer ya, its rewarding when ya work at it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..