Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-07-2005, 18:06   #1
I am Banned

CB Radio

well dont know if there still going i was on the CB few years ago when visiting my mum and dad in accrington met some real nice people would not mind getting back in contact.

what does everyone else think about them good or bad?
any stories to tell ?
directdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-07-2005, 18:15   #2
I am Banned

Re: CB Radio

i thought CB's were just for taxis these days lol

mobile phones kinda killed them off i think plus the expansion of the internet in the past 10 years
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 19:34   #3
God Member

I had a CB in the eighties, thought it was great, used to go to CBers disco at the con club I was only about 14, that was great too!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 20:17   #4
Beacon of light

My dad used to be a CB addict......he would have loved the improvements in communication technology...sadly he died 13 years ago.

He was a Radio Amateur and had cards from all over the world...he would stay up till the early hours of the morning so that he could talk to people in Oz. The internet would have been wonderful to him.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 20:37   #5

I had one in the mid eighties it was great, I made many great friends some I still see. When I put my dipole up my then next door neighbor said he was getting interference on his tele so I went out and bought him a box to filter it out. As it happened I didn't use my CB that night but said neighbour was at my door the next morning again saying I was still interfering with his tele. I was really fed up of the abuse and whinging by this point so late that night I took the dipole down & laid it across my lounge floor. Next morning He was back again with the same complaint The look on his face was a picture when I showed him my aerial on the floor. it turned out he had just got his first video recorder and was watching second hand tapes that had little lines running through it now & again. I used a car aerial in the loft after that so he didn't know I still had one, & he never complained about interference ever again.

Last edited by Debbie J; 26-07-2005 at 20:39.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 21:14   #6
God Member

My Mum and Dad (Baker and Ma Baker) were mad on CB's when we were growing up and they met a lot of crazy friends through it I still love listening to some of the tales my Mum tells about the 'good old CB days'!

My Dad had a massive kingfisher arial in the garden, never remember anyone complaining about interference, I'll have to ask my Mum ?
Old 27-07-2005, 00:19   #7

I had one in the mid eighties and it was o.k, good fun and all that ...But it help to end my first marriage, so it ended in the bin.... (the C.B)
.. apest1 ..
apest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 00:35   #8
Give, give, give member

Two of our members met on the CB radio and have since married.

You going to tell your story????

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 01:34   #9

I used to use the CB radio, still have it and go on now and again (If I can be bothered putting it in the car). I did use it at home, but my antron99 blew down though and I haven't replaced it since!

NOTE: Do not hang England flags from antron99's, they fall down!

Whenever I have been on, it's just idiots playing music or drunks these days. Met a couple of now good friends off the CB though years back. We used to go 'cruising' and meeting others, was a pretty good laugh!

I'm still into my radio scanners and luckily my scanner aerial has not blown over, not bad considering it's around 10+ years old and been moved to 3 homes (My mams, dads and then my own over the years).

Anyhow, may get a CB aerial put back up though, it will be handy for the business.

The below image is naff quality, using dial up with OnSpeed and set image download quality to low:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg house2.jpg (6.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Neal; 27-07-2005 at 01:41.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 09:26   #10
mez
God Member

i too was on the c.b. radio in the 80's i loved it. my handle was "grey lady" had some great meet up's.
Old 27-07-2005, 09:45   #11
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Like Grego, I was also on the CB and used to go to the weekly disco/meet up. I was Juicy Lucy and it was the mid 80's....

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 12:23   #12
Beacon of light

I think my dad's handle was Doc.....or maybe The Doc... because he used to fix them when they went wrong.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2005, 21:55   #13
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Like Grego, I was also on the CB and used to go to the weekly disco/meet up. I was Juicy Lucy and it was the mid 80's....
That name rings a bell, a distant memory from the 80's, did you live on Dill Hall?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 07:27   #14
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss
That name rings a bell, a distant memory from the 80's, did you live on Dill Hall?
I lived in the Burnley Rd area at the time but used to eyeball all over the borough..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2005, 16:46   #15
I am Banned

well my handle was scatman i think lol i met a lad called LB from ossi he was cool. and i met 2 girls who was also very nice people one from accy and one from rishton. sadly lost contact with them. i loved the cb days i say bring it all back cant beat good old comunication.
directdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..