Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 12:33   #1
I am Banned

Question Central Heating without immersion?

Just got my letter from Hyndburn Homes to confirm that heating installers will be doing the work commencing wed/thurs & fri [early mornings urrgghh]. Rang to confirm & was reminded about switching off storage heaters 24hrs before they come to take them out, i asked would that apply to the immersion tank to be told no [ok so will have hot water goody & they wont be taking the tank out till bathrooms get done] but... why put a combi boiler in just to run the heating & not the hot water ????

...or am i missing something as i gather with them not requiring the immersion be turned off im presumably still stuck with the expensive hot water tank system on econ 7 - so them putting the heating in wont make diddly poop difference to my eleccy useage anyway other than wont need to run the storage heaters ...or will they automatically sort the water to be heated up via combi but then will tell me i dont need to run the old hot water tank but then the tank will be full of water anyway & they aint taking it out

Has someone an idea to releive the confusion...... Accyalec can u ask yer mum for me
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41   #2
God Member

Re: Central Heating without immersion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Just got my letter from Hyndburn Homes to confirm that heating installers will be doing the work commencing wed/thurs & fri [early mornings urrgghh]. Rang to confirm & was reminded about switching off storage heaters 24hrs before they come to take them out, i asked would that apply to the immersion tank to be told no [ok so will have hot water goody & they wont be taking the tank out till bathrooms get done] but... why put a combi boiler in just to run the heating & not the hot water ????

...or am i missing something as i gather with them not requiring the immersion be turned off im presumably still stuck with the expensive hot water tank system on econ 7 - so them putting the heating in wont make diddly poop difference to my eleccy useage anyway other than wont need to run the storage heaters ...or will they automatically sort the water to be heated up via combi but then will tell me i dont need to run the old hot water tank but then the tank will be full of water anyway & they aint taking it out

Has someone an idea to releive the confusion...... Accyalec can u ask yer mum for me

They will blank the old tanks off or better still remove them altogether. Hot weater and heating come from combi
Old 12-01-2007, 12:41   #3
Resting in peace

The people who will be installing the new system have this problem with every house they do, they are the best people to advise you, I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think it will, it never is, jump the fences when you arrive at them.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:44   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
They will blank the old tanks off or better still remove them altogether. Hot weater and heating come from combi
They are not taking out the tank, as they would have told me to switch the immersion off to cool down as likewise with the storage heater have to be cold for them to remove the heaters which they are on wednesday but they seemingly dont need my immersion off so the tank will be hot so they are not taking the tank out as what im told anyway, which prompted me as strange even if they need to blank the tank of for H&S reasons the tank would have to be substantially cool which will need 24hrs or a tank drain as these tanks were designed to keep water hot for longer as its econ 7 only ran at night.

Last edited by accymel; 12-01-2007 at 12:46.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:46   #5
God Member

Quote:
They are not taking out the tank, as they would have told me to switch the immersion off to cool down as likewise with the storage heater have to be cold for them to remove the heaters which they are on wednesday but they seemingly dont need my immersion off so the tank will be hot so they are not taking the tank out as what im told anyway.
If they are not taking out they will blank it off, pretty sure they will have to drain it first. Doesn't matter if the water is hold or cold for that.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:48   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
The people who will be installing the new system have this problem with every house they do, they are the best people to advise you, I don't think it's going to be as bad as you think it will, it never is, jump the fences when you arrive at them.
Waited long enough for decent heating & i dont want to be told they can do it as the hot water tank is too hot thus delaying the works, even office staff {7 it it Hyndburn homes after all lol] can get it wrong hence im clarifying it here hehehe
Old 12-01-2007, 12:51   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
If they are not taking out they will blank it off, pretty sure they will have to drain it first. Doesn't matter if the water is hold or cold for that.
Ok just checking that its all right before they come so not find fault to delay

Had my tank drained last year due to fault & least that was cold, i remember it required a long hose
Old 12-01-2007, 12:56   #8
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

which area do u live accymel, cuz I know someone who is with hyndburn homes and they too have a back boiler with immersion heater, and they have not been told of any new boilers been installed! is it just you or everyone?
Old 12-01-2007, 13:00   #9
Resting in peace

Quote:
Waited long enough for decent heating & i dont want to be told they can do it as the hot water tank is too hot thus delaying the works, even office staff {7 it it Hyndburn homes after all lol] can get it wrong hence im clarifying it here hehehe
That's true they always get it wrong, Don't worry it will go to plan it's like shelling peas to them, thank god they are outside contractors and not the council.
Old 12-01-2007, 13:03   #10
Senior Member+

My sister had central heating installed a few weeks ago they took her hot water tank out. She has instant hot water now. Can't understand why they are not doing yours, she lives top end of church.
Old 12-01-2007, 13:04   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
which area do u live accymel, cuz I know someone who is with hyndburn homes and they too have a back boiler with immersion heater, and they have not been told of any new boilers been installed! is it just you or everyone?
My little area of houses here dont have any form of central heating aka a back boiler is the boiler for old central heating & instant hot water, which we have none but the old 70's early 80's blow heaters that eat the eleccy on old econ 7 [expensive system] ie on at night off at day settings charged seperately, same with hot water only on a few hrs during night & thats it a tank of hot water per day not on demand. Only those like up here without ANY form of central heating & tanked hot water are prioritised for central heating hence getting the work done

People with owd back boilers may in future course get an upgrade boiler that i dont know, they are atm prioritising those housing that need it or havent got.
Old 12-01-2007, 13:07   #12
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by janet View Post
My sister had central heating installed a few weeks ago they took her hot water tank out. She has instant hot water now. Can't understand why they are not doing yours, she lives top end of church.
Unless they are ...but the tank would have to have cooled for them to safely take them out ??? so is why i cant understand why they tell me that i dont need to turn it off just the storage ones ??? strange i dunno how they are doing it will probably find out hehehehe, they did a house across the rd the tennant is moving in very soon & we know her, so got to nosey at the finished article & her old hot water tank is still in lol
Old 12-01-2007, 13:08   #13
God Member

Quote:
Unless they are ...but the tank would have to have cooled for them to safely take them out ??? so is why i cant understand why they tell me that i dont need to turn it off just the storage ones ??? strange i dunno how they are doing it will probably find out hehehehe, they did a house across the rd the tennant is moving in very soon & we know her, so got to nosey at the finished article & her old hot water tank is still in lol
Even if they are taking it out it won't stay hot for long once the water is drained.
Old 12-01-2007, 13:11   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I have a condenser boiler put in recently and I get instant hot water and my house is nice and cosy and cheap to run too!
Old 12-01-2007, 13:24   #15
Resting in peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I have a condenser boiler put in recently and I get instant hot water and my house is nice and cosy and cheap to run too!
Is it a combi boiler panther, gives hot water when asked for as opposed to storing in a cylinder tank? if yes how long does it take to run (fill) a bath?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..