Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2006, 11:21   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Charged for picking berry's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1 View Post
always another side to a story

trespassing they deserved to be done i wouldnt liek anyone walking about my land either theres pllenty of places to pick berrys that arnt on private land
Yes, saw the news report last night and they did climb over a barbed wire fence to get to the berries. Obvious was private land and they shouldn't have done it. They did seem a lovely couple, however, was only polite to go and ask the owner if they could have some of these berries. He stated, if they had, they could have picked as many as they wished officially.

He really couldn't let it go as may have been followed by many others. Like Chav says, you wouldn't wish people to trample through your garden to pick the strawberries you were growing there, would you ?

I think a warning was fair justice.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2006, 12:07   #17
Resident Waffler

So in fact the story about them being wild was actually incorrect? They did belong to someone.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:15   #18
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
So in fact the story about them being wild was actually incorrect? They did belong to someone.
Yes they did, they were in a private nature reserve. This couple ignored warning signs, and barbed wire fences, and even the owner to get to the fruit.

Stealing is stealing.

If it was some hooded chav, who had stole the jam from a shop, people would be calling for the return of the birch.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:18   #19
God Member

Quote:

It was printed in the well known comic The Sun, did you expect the truth ?
Old 27-12-2006, 12:24   #20
Give, give, give member

It wasn't the owner who went to the press with story, it was the theivin' couple from Gloucestershire, who came north on the rob.

They were interviewed with over ten jars of the jelly they'd made from the nicked fruit. They would have been better hanging their heads in shame, instead of bleating about injustice.

Apparently they went armed with sissors, which have damaged the trees, because the fruit should be picked by hand.

Old 27-12-2006, 12:34   #21
Member.

Birch the bastards. I nicked Strawberry’s from a Garden on Willows Lane, I hurt myself running away, fell over the fence which grabbed me and held on to my leg. When the owner got to me he slapped the **** out of me and then said he'd tell my dad, which scared the rest of the **** out of me. Did I get what I deserved? Dam right I did. Did I ever do it again? Dam right I did…..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 27-12-2006 at 12:39.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 12:35   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It wasn't the owner who went to the press with story, it was the theivin' couple from Gloucestershire, who came north on the rob.

They were interviewed with over ten jars of the jelly they'd made from the nicked fruit. They would have been better hanging their heads in shame, instead of bleating about injustice.

Apparently they went armed with sissors, which have damaged the trees, because the fruit should be picked by hand.
Oh Garinda, you making me laugh now Seems funny when put that way..

You right and sure Willow, if any of your children had come back with these berries, even for the kindest reasons, (so you could make jam for 'em) I know you would have asked them where they got them from and made them go back to apologise.
Old 27-12-2006, 12:40   #23
Give, give, give member

Just because they were a middle aged, middle class couple, it makes no difference, stealing is stealing.

If anyone nicked the pots or hanging baskets in my garden, they would get a fork up their arse if I caught 'em.

Old 27-12-2006, 12:52   #24
Resting in Peace

Think would be a lovely gesture if they gave half the results of the 'pickings' back to the owner.
Old 27-12-2006, 13:10   #25
Give, give, give member

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/...n_page_id=1770

They made nine jars of jelly. Hardly a few berries!

As for not knowing it was private property, they climbed a barbed wire gate and ignored the warning signs that it was a private nature reserve, to get to the Rowan trees.

When challenged, instead of appologising, they rowed with the owner, and now all this bleating to the press about a police state.

I hope some young chav climbs through their kitchen window and steals the jam, and see how quickly they change their mind about involving the police.

Old 27-12-2006, 13:12   #26
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

You right and sure Willow, if any of your children had come back with these berries, even for the kindest reasons, (so you could make jam for 'em) I know you would have asked them where they got them from and made them go back to apologise.

I have often been on country walk as a child and picked wild berries which we took home and made fruit drinks or jam with. The story in K.S.H's link just reads like a couple out for a country ramble and coming across some berries growing wild. There's no mention of barbed wire fences or scissors.

Quote:
A RAMBLER who picked berries on a country walk was hunted down by police — and cautioned for THEFT. Ian Blayney and his wife Bette spotted the rowan berries growing wild and collected a bagful to make into jam.
ry in K.S.H's link just reads like a couple out for a country ramble and coming across some berries growing wild.

I would never condone my children or anyone else breaking into private property to steal a cultivated crop but the story just doesn't read like that.

Haven't other people been blackberrying? We used to go up on the fells for whinberries too when I was a child.

Old 27-12-2006, 13:15   #27
Give, give, give member

Picking blackberries at the side of a country lane is different, and is not the same thing as this unshamefaced couple are trying to make out.

Old 27-12-2006, 13:16   #28
Resident Waffler

Whose land were these berries growing on? Even in that last link it isn't clear that they were actively breaking into private land and stealing a cultivated crop. It still says they were wild berries.

Old 27-12-2006, 14:01   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Whose land were these berries growing on? Even in that last link it isn't clear that they were actively breaking into private land and stealing a cultivated crop. It still says they were wild berries.

Yes it doesn't, the power of the press, especially the Daily Mail.

It showed on the BBC local news last night the place they parked, and the wall with warnings about it being private property, and the barbed wire five bar gate that they climbed over, armed with sissors and sacks.

The owner was interviewed, and said when he told them they were on private land they started arguing with him.

Old 27-12-2006, 15:37   #30
Resident Waffler

It almost sounds like two entirely different stories doesn't it? In the paper they say the argument was with the caretaker of a nearby building (as if he had no connection with the berries) and that they stumbled upon these berries, which they paused briefly to pick, whilst out for a walk along the canal bank.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..