Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 15:01   #1
Give, give, give member

Chewing gum.

Most of the streets in Hyndburn are covered in gum, as is much of our country, but walking on the pavement between the bus stops and the market in Accrington this afternoon, I was shocked at the state of the pavement there.

There is so much gum that you can't see the pavement. It looks worse, I suppose, because the tarmac is black, well the bits that are still visible are black.

I ocassionally chew gum, but would never dream of spitting it on the floor.

I really don't understand people who do this.

There used to be a saying about not defecating (polite version) on your own doorstep. Since we all live here, the town is our collective doorstep.

I hope as well as fining people for dropping litter and cigarette ends, the council are also on the lookout, and issuing fines, to the selfish idiots who are making Hyndburn look even worse than it needs to be.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-01-2008, 15:15   #2
God Member

Re: Chewing gum.

The outside of pubs is also like this, shared with huge numbers of cigarette ends since the smoking ban, it would obviously hurt some people to locate a bin.
Old 13-01-2008, 18:55   #3
God Member

I've never took notice in Lancaster but I'm going to have a look next time i'm around and about. I dont think there is much on the floor here though, not like you get in accy. Its funny but I've very rarely had gum at the bottom of my shoe, so perhaps its just very old gum thats been there ages
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 18:57   #4
God Member

in Lancaster Blazey they have people steam cleaning the streets, last time i was up there i noticed a guy doing it with the gum
Old 13-01-2008, 19:00   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
in Lancaster Blazey they have people steam cleaning the streets, last time i was up there i noticed a guy doing it with the gum
Surely not every street though? I haven't seen anyone steaming my street, though the road sweepers come up. I can understand in the town though because its got a decorative floor at one part that could be spoilt by gum.
Old 13-01-2008, 19:02   #6
God Member

i meant the main one through the town, just further down from the castle (it was outside mcdonalds that i saw him)
Old 13-01-2008, 19:07   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
i meant the main one through the town, just further down from the castle (it was outside mcdonalds that i saw him)
Ah ok. There isn't gum outside the shops up near my house though, and theres a few of them, and the one I'd expect to have gum outside would be the spar. I'm going to have a look when I go home.
Old 13-01-2008, 19:12   #8
God Member

Chewing gum was banned in Singapore for 12 years until recently -lifted as part of a trade deal with USA.
The ban was imposed due to the unsightly mess it was causing on public transport in an overcrowded country.
I do not understand how anyone will pay just to have constant jaw movements. Some say that it cleans teeth - but since most contain sweeteners in some form, I don't think that argument holds any weight

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 19:15   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Chewing gum was banned in Singapore for 12 years until recently -lifted as part of a trade deal with USA.
The ban was imposed due to the unsightly mess it was causing on public transport in an overcrowded country.
I do not understand how anyone will pay just to have constant jaw movements. Some say that it cleans teeth - but since most contain sweeteners in some form, I don't think that argument holds any weight
I think the original gum was used for that purpose, doesn't it originate from some sort of tribal community somewhere, like in africa or south america? Then the commercial business turned it into a breath freshening item.

My dentist used to give it to me when I was younger, but I'm not quite sure why, I never asked.
Old 13-01-2008, 19:18   #10
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

while we are on the subject of gum, did ya know that eating to much of the sugar free stuff also other stuff that contains the sweetner too, is bad for ya.
Sorbitol, which is widely used in "sugar-free" products like chewing gum, sweets and some cereals, could cause severe weight loss, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
Old 13-01-2008, 19:20   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
while we are on the subject of gum, did ya know that eating to much of the sugar free stuff also other stuff that contains the sweetner too, is bad for ya.
Sorbitol, which is widely used in "sugar-free" products like chewing gum, sweets and some cereals, could cause severe weight loss, abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
'low-fat' products apparently have a chemical in them that can cause infertility in women aswell, or so I read somewhere.
Old 13-01-2008, 19:36   #12
God Member

Many sugar free items contain aspartamine which is poisonous and damaging to internal organs.
Dangers of Aspartame Poisoning!
Bad News about products with Aspartame

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 19:38   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Still is Margaret .. well, was when my son was there in August, only therapeutic gum (whatever that means .. maybe gum to stop you smoking?) is allowed... no imports .. Wikipedia.

I sometimes chew it 'cause realise breath not very pleasant when you smoke.
Yeh, the sugar free gum does give you the trots Panther..

Blazey, I always found the worst places for deposits were around University Campus and their main entrances, have you looked there? Manchester is awful and Newcastle.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 15:32   #14
God Member

Users of Amphetamines and Ecstasy chew gum to prevent teeth grinding during the experience.
Old 14-01-2008, 16:24   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thought it was due to people putting chewing gum in between the doors and then slowing down the transport system which in Singapore is extremely accurate.
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..