Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 18:14   #1
Give, give, give member

Child slavery.

Well ok, not child slavery, but were you forced to join any youth movements as a child?

I was in the Boys Brigade from the age of seven to fourteen. I also did a short stint at the same time in the Scouts and the Saint John's Ambulance.

At the time I hated having to go every Tuesday evening. Marching about, following orders and team games etc., never having been my favourite pursuits. I did learn how to sew a button on that will never come off again though.

I have the utmost respect for people that give up their time so that children can do things they may not otherwise get the chance to experience....just don't make me go again, brass all gleaming on my uniform.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2006, 18:51   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Child slavery.

I wasn't involved in any of the youth movements, but I DID think that I was involved in child slavery.....being made to do chores around the house AND getting no spending money. It was not being paid that really rankled.
I used to run errands for neighbours with a light heart.......but that was because I was getting a shiny sixpence. Filling the coal bucket, pegging out the washing, donkey stoning the steps, emptying the jerries....and other such sundry stuff which I did at home felt such an imposition....especially when I could see other kids playing out. And then when I DID get to play out, I had to take three of my younger brothers with me......and make sure they didn't get into any mischief. In those days the phrase 'child abuse' wasn't thought of.....but I felt abused. Looking back now, I realise that my parents could not afford to give me spending money....and all the things I did made sure that I could do many more things when I grew up.

Welcome back G........you have been missed, in fact I was getting a bit worried
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 19:21   #3
Senior Member+

I went to Brownies but no-one paid out for a uniform for me. I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb so gave it up.

My father said 'I'm glad I never got you a uniform, I knew it would be a waste of money'. All very confusing to a nine year old.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 19:36   #4
white rabbits

I was in the girl guides ,robin patrol..i loved it until the day the queen came to Burnley ,,our lot were on the front of the pavement but they stuck me about ten rows back because i could not do the salute,my thumb and little finger wont reach each other so my three other fingers curled up... i remember getting an ice cream off my mum when i got home though.,,,,wernt much compensation,
Old 08-08-2006, 20:33   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
I was in the Boys Brigade from the age of seven to fourteen. I also did a short stint at the same time in the Scouts and the Saint John's Ambulance.
Which BB where you in, the Ossy one, I was in Ist Accrington, springhill methodist.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 21:01   #6
Senior Member+

i was never forced but i did go to the scouts...and im proud of myself i was actually troop leader ...used to love marching on remembrance sunday holding my flag proudly :engsmil:

a proper football club,built on the foundations laid by a true fan..andy dunn notw 08....fantastic !!!
BLACKBURN RAVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 21:20   #7
God Member

My parents were borderline hippies and far too progressive in their parenting to force me to anything like that - upshot was, I took the lazy option and didn't go!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 21:58   #8
Len
God Member

My father is a keen football fan; he’ll watch it all day but has never played the game as such himself. So for some strange reason he must have thought that his sons would be good footballers.
From the ages of around 10,11 and 12 I had to play soccer for our local youth club. I absolutely hated it, I mean hated it, especially the training evenings. Running round the perimeter of a soccer pitch like a bunch of loonies wasn’t fun to me and when ever the trainer wasn’t looking I walked but often I got caught and had to run around again, I didn’t want to be there but we had to go.
My bro did well but I was useless and boy did I know it. In the three years of playing?? I only ever scored one goal and that was an accident, someone kicked the ball and it bounced off me and into the net, if I had seen it coming I would have dodged out its way. hehe
Even today I will not attempt to kick a ball again.
It was a complete nightmare, so don’t force ya kids.

Last edited by Len; 08-08-2006 at 22:04.
Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:05   #9
God Member

Both my youngest sons went to Boys Brigade.. Eldest stopped after a year and my youngest son is now in his third year and loves it.. You couldnt force him not to go..

Both young sons are in football teams and train at different times during week.

One of my elder sons did many many years at karate and finished as a black belt 1st dan. he loved that.

My eldest Daughter did same.. takes years and years to get to Black belt.. between them they have loads of karate trophies and Sarah has a british champion gold medal.. sadly both dont do karate anymore but keep there licence and always have it.

Other daughter did brownies and the twirling a stick thing but never took to it... one son did duke of edinburough bronce and silver but never got to gold.. cus he grew up he says

My kids have been encouraged to do all manner of things.. but never forced.. dont see the point... we try to get them to do things.. but if they dont like it then it wont do them any good.
Old 08-08-2006, 22:07   #10
Passed away 25-11-09

I was a Girl Guide in the days when the uniform shirt had 2 large breast-pockets where you kept note-books, first-aid kits etc. so we all looked like Jayne Mansfield (for those who remember her). I wasn't made to go, I just enjoyed it.

I never made my children join anything. My son was in the Cubs just long enough for me to buy him the full uniform, then he decided he didn't want to go any more (and he's still alive!). My elder daughter was a Brownie then a Guide until she was 15. She then joined the Girls Venture Corps, which was the female side of the ATC, but it didn't last as she didn't fancy any of the lads.

My younger daughter was a Brownie, didn't go on to Guides, became a Brownies Young Leader when she was 16 and is now, 14 years later, Brown Owl of the same pack. My grandson was a Cub, then a Scout until he was 16. My granddaughter is a Rainbow (baby Brownie) and can't wait until January when she will be in her mum's Brownie pack.

Oh yes, and my husband was a Scout in the days when they wore those big hats and wore shorts. Baden-Powell would have been proud of us lot, wouldn't he?
Old 08-08-2006, 22:13   #11
God Member

There was an article in the Guardian this week about parent pressure

http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/art...838396,00.html

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:30   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len
My father is a keen football fan; he’ll watch it all day but has never played the game as such himself. So for some strange reason he must have thought that his sons would be good footballers.
From the ages of around 10,11 and 12 I had to play soccer for our local youth club. I absolutely hated it, I mean hated it, especially the training evenings. Running round the perimeter of a soccer pitch like a bunch of loonies wasn’t fun to me and when ever the trainer wasn’t looking I walked but often I got caught and had to run around again, I didn’t want to be there but we had to go.
My bro did well but I was useless and boy did I know it. In the three years of playing?? I only ever scored one goal and that was an accident, someone kicked the ball and it bounced off me and into the net, if I had seen it coming I would have dodged out its way. hehe
Even today I will not attempt to kick a ball again.
It was a complete nightmare, so don’t force ya kids.
I thought it was just me that hated playing football
Anyway, I was in the cubs, and although I got stick cos I was useless, I did actually quite enjoy it, and was in the gang show once.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:31   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
Which BB where you in, the Ossy one, I was in Ist Accrington, springhill methodist.
I was in the 1st Oswaldtwistle BB, so since there was a lot of inter Brigade meetings we probably have met.

Although I didn't like going at the time I'm glad that I did, as I learnt a lot of things I wouldn't know about now.

The highest achievement whilst there was for six years in a row winning the national painting competition. Much was expected of my younger brother when he joined two years after me. Sadly his mad daubings didn't win any prizes for the 1st Ossy BB. Either he was as rubbish at art as I was at football or a misunderstood genius.

We were encouraged to go after my Dad had a wonderful time in the Scouts in his boyhood. He really had to fight to join after his staunchly Methodist and pacifist father saw the Scout movement as some quasi militaristic fighting machine founded by Baden Powell. Most of the friends he made there in the fifties came from all corners of the country to attend his funeral thirteen years ago.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:34   #14
Resting in Peace

Was a Brownie, Girl Guide and even made Akela. Ok, so what if I had to retire when I had an 'unexpected' pregnancy? Had the best troop in town along with the best football team for those years. Sorry, Garinda, slightly off-thread, not exactly slavery, must have enjoyed or would not have stuck it so long.

Not tellin' ya' which is me:-

KateGG.jpg

No prizes for guessing where that was taken either. x
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 22:38   #15
Passed away 25-11-09

Rindy, my cousin, Derrick Turner, was the leader of that Brigade at one time but he died 30 years ago which, I suppose, was before your time.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..