Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-08-2006, 05:01   #1
God Member

1200 terrorists in Britain

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/cri...cle1218895.ece

was checking the online news tonight and came across this headline , from a UK paper called the Independant , guess it is fairly newish, it reports that some people think that up to 1200 terrorists are active in the UK , not having lived in the UK for a number of years I wonder if you folks think this could be a resonable estimate or just scare mongering.
As I mentioned earlier I have no knowledge of this paper's political leanings don't know if it is left or right wing Mirror/Guardian v Sun/Mail , think they have a guy called Robert Fisk/Fish who seems to write reasonable reports on the mid-east situation , anyone care to comment.

thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-08-2006, 05:32   #2
God Member

Re: 1200 terrorists in Britain

No its not new its one of the big broadsheats. The number could be true as the Independent is not a tabloid nor is it known for getting it wrong. Its the kind of paper civil servents and the higher echelons read. I believe the estimate could be a bit conservative as it is based on what is known and there could be sleepers.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 08:08   #3

Worse

According to newspapers this morning steeljack, the situation is worse than you imagine. MI5 spies fear that at least fifteen other attacks could be unleashed, and they are hunting scores of al-Qaida suicide bombers. I'm only glad that we live out of the main cities.
Old 13-08-2006, 08:47   #4

Re: Worse

[quote=T.C.]According to newspapers this morning steeljack, the situation is worse than you imagine. MI5 spies fear that at least fifteen other attacks could be unleashed, and they are hunting scores of al-Qaida suicide bombers. I'm only glad that we live out of the main cities.[/quote

Couldn't agree more TC it's getting scarier by the day!
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 09:31   #5
God Member

The independent is kinda center though it does lean left sometimes. If this is true then it is worring news indeed...
Old 13-08-2006, 10:02   #6

The amount of terrorists in this our beautiful country will continue to increase, but hopefully the skills of our security services MI5, M16 SAS and the Det will catch and crush the majority of them.

Don’t let them win.

Don’t live in fear :engsmil:
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 13:05   #7
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: 1200 terrorists in Britain

The blame for the current situation lies fairly and squarely on the egotistical shoulders of Blair and his desire to show that he is a world leader.

We are now paying the price for his actions and in turn he is using the threat of terrorism to justify curtailing our hard won freedom to go about our daily lawful business without hindrance or control from the state.

I doubt if even the terrorists know how many of them there are so the 1,200 is a shot in the dark. But it wouldn’t surprise me to discover that it is more like 12,000. With over ONE MILLION immigrant Muslims in the country, the majority of whom support their brother Muslims abroad, there could be even more ready to take up the cause when their higher profile terrorists get caught.

With the best will in the world MI5, MI6 and the police do not have the resources – yet – to track them all down. They will always play catch-up. They haven’t eliminated the Irish terrorist, who are still bombing targets, after 30 years of trying so what chance of catching and eliminating the Muslim terrorist?
Old 13-08-2006, 13:16   #8
God Member

Firstly I don't wish to tar all Muslims/Pakistanis whatever with the same brush, so don't jump to conclusions that i'm being racist. Yes its a sad state of things when I have to post this warning before my actual post... anyway..

Anyway, the people I have seen interviewd on tv and things all seem to say that 'it couldn't possibly be x person, he was such a nice guy' and this was the same attitude back at 7/7. I am not sure that the Muslim community (and excuse me if I am being ignorant I will be the first to admit I don't know the difference between Islam/Muslim etc) really understand there is a problem. It is fact that in this country taht the MAJORITY of Muslims tend not to integrate in to other communities and really stick to their own so to speak. But I personaly believe this generates a safe haven for terrorists, as they can happily be sleeper cells in the community, and the community simply do not know about it and seem to me to refuse to accept that there is a problem.

Now thats my view at the moment, my view might change, depending on replies and such as i'm very open to other peoples opinions on this matter.
Old 13-08-2006, 13:50   #9
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I would venture that 1,200 terrorists, from whichever faction, in this country is a gross underestimate. Let's face it, the government have absolutely no idea how many illegal immigrants we have here in the UK therefore how can anyone begin to estimate the number of terrorists????? It's just a thought.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 14:48   #10
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: 1200 terrorists in Britain

If people want to consider my views as racist then so be it. I cannot be held responsible for how people view my opinions. Let’s face it with just a little bit of spin you can make a racist remark out of an innocent one if you want to.

The British Isles were in existence and populated by mine and your ancestors long before Islam came into being so we have precedence. If someone from some other part of the world wants to emigrate to these shores then they will have to follow our rules. It is as simple as that. I am quite happy to allow immigrants to keep their own culture in their own homes but if it clashes with mine on some point they will have to back down and accede to our ways.

If anyone has been to any of the Arab countries you will know exactly what I mean.

If I were an employer I would not allow extra time off during the day to allow a Muslim to pray nor would I supply a separate room for that purpose. You don’t get a room where a Christian can pray on a Sunday or a Jew on a Saturday if they happen to be working. You don’t see Buddhists or Hindus asking for a place to pray whilst at work.

The Pakistani and Bangladeshi immigrants do integrate with our British society but only up to a point and they are not all Muslim. There are many Christians in Pakistan. The immigrants work in our factories and offices both private and government and open up their own shops and take over some that are already a thriving business. But they tend to live in enclaves and as their numbers increase at a much faster rate than British numbers they expand out of their enclaves, pushing us further and further away from town centres. As the enclaves grow so does the probability that they will be hiding terrorists. In short they integrate as far as it suits them.

Islam is the name of the religion in as much as Christianity is the name of a religion. A Muslim or Moslem if you like, is a follower of Islam.

My views on the issue will not change because I will not allow a good story to get in the way of facts. But then I’m not a budding politician and do not change my view to suit the day.
Old 13-08-2006, 15:02   #11
Beacon of light

WE have had non-existent border controls for so long that the government has absolutely no idea who is in this country.........so I think the posibility that there are only 1200 terrorists in the country is a guess......and what good is a guess?

And the fact that the people who live cheek by jowl to the people who have been arrested, and say 'X has always been a good boy....goes to the mosque regularly'......Yes he may go to the mosque, but it may not be to pray......it may be to be indoctrinated into who knows what. These guys aren't going to go out and say to their neghbour 'Hi, I've just been and got the stuff to make TATP'.........how stupid do these people think they sound when they tell us all he was 'normal'....liked football.....etc. These people are Muslims first last and forever, they have no allegiance to this country.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2006, 15:16   #12
Beacon of light

A recent survey said that a quarter of all muslims in this country thought that suicide bombers were justified in their cause.
Old 13-08-2006, 15:27   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

You don’t get a room where a Christian can pray on a Sunday or a Jew on a Saturday if they happen to be working.
hence sunday trading laws.... the fact u can do ur praying b4 sunday trading starts... the fact that for a long time sundays was a "rest" day the fact that even in countries like pakistan sunday is very much a rest day
Old 13-08-2006, 19:37   #14
Beacon of light

And while the alleged terrorists plot was foiled, and they didn't actually kill or maim anyone, they have certainly damaged our liberty and knocked billions of pounds off shares. Ah, you may think it will only be the banks that suffer......but if you have a private pension it will affect you too. It may have damaged the tourism industry.......and they have had loads of propaganda courtesy of seamless news reports which all told us the same things. They took the police away from their normal duties.......spoiled the holidays and travel arrangements of many........Made people worry about going about their daily life....so they have in fact scored something of a victory.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 13-08-2006 at 19:40. Reason: typo error
Old 13-08-2006, 19:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty

The British Isles were in existence and populated by mine and your ancestors long before Islam came into being so we have precedence.
If your comment is based on the religion of this country then at the time that Islam came into existence, (early seveth century) this island was basically pagan. Those Christians who came with the Romans had, within 100 years of the invasions of the Saxons, Angles and Jutes been replaced by pagans.
It was not until the arrival of St Augustine (597) and his work, also in the early sixth century that there were a significant number of Christians in England.

To thine own self be true

Last edited by BillGreene; 13-08-2006 at 19:45.
BillGreene is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..