Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2007, 20:04   #1
God Member

childrens tv on trial

on bbc4 now, its about 80s childrens tv programmes
Old 14-07-2007, 20:10   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: childrens tv on trial

Thanks Shaz - just switched over to it.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 20:29   #3
God Member

reece is laughing at it, mind you i have been singing along to stuff

THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATSSSSSSS HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old 15-07-2007, 13:50   #4
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: childrens tv on trial

Heaven help the parents of the current 2 and 3 years old when they get to 10 or 11 and older.

Children’s TV should be on for just one hour per day between 4 and 5 pm for those at school and for an hour at 1.00pm for the young ones still at home.

We had “Children’s Hour” Monday to Friday on the wireless when I was a kid and the rest of the time we learned to amuse ourselves by playing games at home or with our friends outside.
Old 15-07-2007, 14:11   #5
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

eeeeee, i remember ....oh sugar forgot the ruddy name now
where they went back in time and they had to find their way home, a cartoon it was...............now what was it called????
Old 15-07-2007, 17:25   #6
God Member

dungeons and dragons?
Old 15-07-2007, 17:35   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Heaven help the parents of the current 2 and 3 years old when they get to 10 or 11 and older.

Children’s TV should be on for just one hour per day between 4 and 5 pm for those at school and for an hour at 1.00pm for the young ones still at home.
Who made you the definitive expert on child development?
Besides, with over 8 million Sky subscribers in the UK and similar figures for Freeview, there are many homes that will tune into channels which narrowcast children's programming all day. Restricting children's TV to one hour a day would be impossible.
Leave the choices and responsibility to the parents.

Sorry to go off thread flashy.
I probably missed most of the 80's kids TV as I was born in '88.
Don't suppose the BBC4 programme talked about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Now there was a programme
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 18:22   #8
God Member

tis ok shaker, they did mention the turtles actually
Old 15-07-2007, 20:43   #9
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: childrens tv on trial

Quote:
Who made you the definitive expert on child development?
No one and I’m not shakermaker although being the father of four children now well into their thirties and forties, grandfather to 11 and great grandfather to 4 it does put me streets ahead of most others, particularly 19 year olds.
Quote:
Leave the choices and responsibility to the parents.
If all parents were responsible parents I would agree with you shakermaker but far too many are not and just plonk the kid in front of the telly all day. It’s no wonder that school kids of today get bored so easily. They never learned how to play without gadgets and things.

Instead of learning behaviour patterns from its parents the child learns what it sees on TV and more often than not the behaviour is not good.
Old 15-07-2007, 20:44   #10
Senior Member+

My daughter watched Tellytubbies constantly and as her SATS results show,it hasn't done her any harm,nor does she think that the world is populated by large flannel aliens or ginormous rabbits!

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 15-07-2007 at 20:46.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 20:44   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
My daughter watched Tellytubbies constantly and as her SATS results show,it hasn't done her any harm,nor does she think that the world is populated by by large flannel aliens or ginormous rabbits!
Yep same with mine eh-oh
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 20:59   #12
God Member

Quote:

We had “Children’s Hour” Monday to Friday on the wireless when I was a kid and the rest of the time we learned to amuse ourselves by playing games at home or with our friends outside.
Hear hear.Far too much rubbish on these days for kids and 24 hours a day too if you've got Sky tv.Yes,there's an 'off' button,which I do use,I won't let my kids just loll about in front of the tv all day every day but there's no denying that whilst watching a bit of tv is ok for kids it should not be on all the time so it would be easier and better for all concerned if the channels would not broadcast these kids programmes so much.I'm not advocating banning kids tv altogether,give us some choice,but no-one should have the tv on all day and there are some parents who would let this happen.The Jamie Oliver school dinners programme proved this when Jamie told us that he met some children in one of the schools he visited who,when they were shown a carrot and a potato,had no idea what they were,yet they identified the McDonalds logo and countless childrens tv logos/chracters instantly.I think that's sad.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 21:35   #13
God Member

Quote:
If all parents were responsible parents I would agree with you shakermaker but far too many are not and just plonk the kid in front of the telly all day.
'Plonking a kid infront of the telly all day' may be the way you see it, however it will be another parents' way of keeping the child entertained and, as many studies have shown, aiding areas of development.

Quote:
It’s no wonder that school kids of today get bored so easily. They never learned how to play without gadgets and things.

With the big bright media companies creating moral panics, influencing parents to believe that there are more paedophiles on the streets than ever before (which is simply not the case), parents are now trying to keep their children closer to home, hereby guiding them more towards TV entertainment and other things they can do in the home.
It isn't the best thing, but it won't be the downfall of generations to come.
Quote:
Instead of learning behaviour patterns from its parents the child learns what it sees on TV and more often than not the behaviour is not good.
Behaviour shown on children's TV is more often than not teaching socially acceptable ways, as parents will tell you about shows like Teletubbies and the Tweenies.
Thousands of children will see parents abused, parents taking drugs, parents drinking all day long. I suggest that it is parent's behaviour that is more likely to be or become wrong.

Last edited by shakermaker; 15-07-2007 at 21:44. Reason: typo
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 06:27   #14
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
dungeons and dragons?
thats the one!, cheers flashy
never did the end, or was there one
did they ever get home....lol
Old 16-07-2007, 08:18   #15
God Member

dunno panther, i cant recall it, i cant even remember when it finished

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..