Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-07-2007, 20:06   #1
Full Member+

Statement Of The Bleedin` Obvious

I today received a lovely full colour leaflet from our beloved council, The Keeping Church, Central and Milnshaw Clean and Tidy Agreement.
Inside this important document, it tells me that the Council will keep the area clean and tidy and empty the bins and that on my part, I should contact the council when I spy litter, dog mess and fly tipping. I should also present my bins for collection and be nice to small animals.

I actually lied about the last bit, but I`m going to do it anyway.

Does the council have a dumbing down officer?
Old 13-07-2007, 20:53   #2
God Member

Re: Statement Of The Bleedin` Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick View Post
I today received a lovely full colour leaflet from our beloved council, The Keeping Church, Central and Milnshaw Clean and Tidy Agreement.
Inside this important document, it tells me that the Council will keep the area clean and tidy and empty the bins and that on my part, I should contact the council when I spy litter, dog mess and fly tipping. I should also present my bins for collection and be nice to small animals.

I actually lied about the last bit, but I`m going to do it anyway.

Does the council have a dumbing down officer?
I gotta ask. What is "fly tipping"? I assume that it has nothing to do with giving gratuities to insects.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 20:56   #3
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I gotta ask. What is "fly tipping"?
Dumping rubbish where it's not meant to go, the countryside being a favoured place.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 21:09   #4

thats the council for you they want you to do there job for them,with out pay
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 21:31   #5
Senior Member+

I trust you have disposed of said leaflet in the proper fashion; ie stuff in white sack,put outside door in pouring rain,wait for refuse team to collect/ go to work, return home from work to find sack has vanished,get new sack from Town Hall, start process again. Hey it's a weight off my mind to know I am recycling ,Mick, it's just worrying me that the cost of all the lost recycling bags may well out weigh the the good we are doing !
Old 13-07-2007, 21:32   #6
God Member

Dont know about dumbing down officer but the council must think people are blinkered and have their nappers in the clouds.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 21:34   #7
Resident Waffler

There's a hole in my paper sack. It's been there for weeks. It looks like a melted burn hole but we don't have anywhere a hole can get melted into a sack.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2007, 00:19   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

we keep our paper sack in the car boot,keeps it dry, naint got any leaflet though,probably never will.
Old 14-07-2007, 12:22   #9
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I trust you have disposed of said leaflet in the proper fashion;
Oh no, the agreement is also a document holding important phone numbers, so I`ve put it in the drawer with the takeaway menus and my shopping list pad.

Unfortunatly this morning I`ve had to clean away a large dog mess from my front garden. I know I should have rung the council to report it and I now await a fine for breaching the agreement. I will no doubt contest the fine with the use of initiative being my defence.
Old 15-07-2007, 09:51   #10
God Member

I suppose it just goes to show how out of touch with reality I have become now that I am entering my my "Golden Years", but I had always thought that an "agreement" was something that was entered into voluntarily by two or more parties after some period of negotiation. The idea that an "agreement" may be imposed by beurocratic dictat seems to run counter to the idea that we live in a representative democracy. But I am just an old person, what do I know!
Old 16-07-2007, 00:46   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Dumping rubbish where it's not meant to go, the countryside being a favoured place.
Ah, now I get it. Ta, eh
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..