Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 12:33   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Cig End Fine at 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiveuk View Post
There used to be a time in this country when proper policemen policed the streets. We had respect for them because we knew that they acted with a high degree of professionalism which included discretion, that is to say that they had the authority, common sense and sense of proportion to deal with each incident as it unfolded.

For some reason, no doubt influenced by the "PC Brigade" and the introduction of council "marshals", that discretion seems to have gone. Along with it, sadly, so to has our communities respect for Law Enforcement.

Of course the real winners in all this are the Rapists, Burglars, Petty Thieves, swindlers, arrogant drivers, foul mouth yobs etc who can go about thier business unchallenged.

We get the society we deserve.
can't argue wi that.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:53   #17
Senior Member+

Don't see what her beef is really, bang to rights in my opinion, and she should be made to pay up, make an example of her and it might stop others doing the same!
Old 06-02-2009, 13:53   #18
Resting in Peace

ok so she was in the wrong.... however I personally have never heard of anyone being fined for dropping chewing gum on the pavements..... ( which can not be removed with a brush and shovel)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 15:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Don't see what her beef is really, bang to rights in my opinion, and she should be made to pay up, make an example of her and it might stop others doing the same!

Ok, you might say it's a fair cop.

But will those Council "Marshals" be on Church St around 2am Saturday morning?

And at that time any Police on duty wil be doing thier best to stop yobs slashing thier and each others throats, As i say, we get the society we deserve.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 15:46   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
ok so she was in the wrong.... however I personally have never heard of anyone being fined for dropping chewing gum on the pavements..... ( which can not be removed with a brush and shovel)

even worse than litter/fag end/chewing gum droppers are the people who spit on the street, absolutely disgusting habit
Old 06-02-2009, 19:55   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
not so long ago peopel would have been saying it was unfair to be fined for dropping a fag end but since the public have been brainwashed against smoking and made smokers to be second class citizens its more fashionable to bitch about smokers ,the worst culprits been ex smokers who seem to think that because they quit everyone eslse should and totaly forget the thousands of fag ends they threw to the floor when out walking to the shops or inbetween pubs on a night out

the old dear dropped a fag on the floor she didnt dump a sofa in the middle of the street and set fire to it for gods sake

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 19:57   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
even worse than litter/fag end/chewing gum droppers are the people who spit on the street, absolutely disgusting habit
does that mean teh non smokers are the ones blowing chunks out of there nose into the street then ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:05   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post

the old dear dropped a fag on the floor she didnt dump a sofa in the middle of the street and set fire to it for gods sake
We know that Accyman but times, unfortunately, have moved on, and she must have been aware that dropping a fag end would be liable to a fine.

Dog pooh was not liable to a fine a few years ago either !

Actually, not sure about the grate thing ? I usually carry a portable ash tray, would I be fined for dropping down a grate do you think, as do do this ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:10   #24
Caz
God Member

Quote:
not so long ago peopel would have been saying it was unfair to be fined for dropping a fag end but since the public have been brainwashed against smoking and made smokers to be second class citizens its more fashionable to bitch about smokers ,the worst culprits been ex smokers who seem to think that because they quit everyone eslse should and totaly forget the thousands of fag ends they threw to the floor when out walking to the shops or inbetween pubs on a night out

Don't doubt that there are those amongst us who would have stubbed a ciggy out on the floor before the by law came in, myself included, even if they didn't drop any other kind of litter. But the point is, it is law now. What difference does it make if she is an "old dear" as you put it. The laws apply to everyone, and she shouldn't expect to be allowed to do something others aren't, or be exempt from fines. The fact that other people do worse things and have got away with it does not have any bearing on this issue.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:10   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
would I be fined for dropping down a grate do you think, as do do this ?
Probably seeing as it will stay in the grate until they come and pump all the rubbish and sludge out of the grate.

It comes down to the fact that if everyone in Accy dropped a fag end on the floor everyday imagine what the place would look like. Because people are unable to control themselves and there actions the powers that be end up having to control our actions for us. Hence the no littering law and she got fined.
Old 06-02-2009, 20:18   #26
God Member

Quote:
We know that Accyman but times, unfortunately, have moved on, and she must have been aware that dropping a fag end would be liable to a fine.

Actually, not sure about the grate thing ? I usually carry a portable ash tray, would I be fined for dropping down a grate do you think, as do do this ?
Probably this old lady was the highest profile character they could find who would make the headlines?
I agree with prevoius postings that the take away's should be targeted and if a piece of wrapping carrying the name of such as Burger King or Mc Donalds found in the street constituted a litter offence and a fine for every piece found carried a fine.....that would earn more money for the council than a mere fag end.

I do mean a fine for the company and not the individual.

I would hazzard a guess that more of this litter is dumped on the streets in one week that fag ends in one year.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950

Last edited by Royboy39; 06-02-2009 at 20:22.
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:24   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
I agree with prevoius postings that the take away's should be targeted and if a piece of wrapping carrying the name of such as Burger King or Mc Donalds found in the street constituted a litter offence and a fine for every piece found carried a fine.....that would earn more money for the council than a mere fag end.
Who are you suggesting should pay the fine, the dropper of the litter or the company whose name is on it?
Old 06-02-2009, 20:28   #28

Quote:

When they start paying us for taking photo of people leaving their dog poo i could make myself a very good income where i live i see it everyday .
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:40   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi38 View Post
When they start paying us for taking photo of people leaving their dog poo i could make myself a very good income where i live i see it everyday .
You could be a good citizen and send in the photos for the good of the community.

Last edited by Neil; 06-02-2009 at 20:43.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 20:42   #30
God Member

Stupid woman.

Some people will never take responsibility for their actions and admit that they were in the wrong.

It's always someone else's fault and they are always the victim.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..