Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 20:15   #1
Caz
God Member

Cig End Fine at 70

Don't know how many people read this letter in the Observer, but it really annoyed me

Pensioner drops cig end on floor. She says she was deliberately watched and targeted...

Why on earth if she thought she was being watched did she still drop it then? She must have known she was doing wrong. Or do the laws only apply to people under 60?

She says that she now has a £75 fine and it's half her pension. So flipping what? She shouldn't have done it, or does she think that that pensioners should be exempt from fines, whilst other people pay up?

She says there are no receptacles for fag ends in the town centre and goes on about setting fire to the bins, but most people, like myself, stub the ciggy out first then bin it. Or find a grate.

She then goes on about child poverty, though I failed to understand the connection, then about how she has worked all her life, what has this to do with anything?. She then tries to justify her actions by complaining about all the other rubbish strewn around. That makes it OK then does it , for her to drop the fag end?

She also states that she can only afford to smoke coz her family send her a monthly ration of baccy from Germany, (just in case we think she can afford to pay the fine I suppose) but lo and behold she sits there smoking a ciggy with a filter tip?...

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost respect for my elders, always have , providing they warrant it, but I do not think because she is a pensioner she can deliberately flout the by laws and hope to get away with it.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2009, 20:19   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Cig End Fine at 70

her age has nothing to do with it, she did something she shouldnt and she deserves the fine, she should also go to poundland and buy a pocket ashtray

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 23:56   #3
Resting in Peace

You have echoed my thoughts exactly Caz when I read this.

She got caught ... tough.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 00:05   #4
Give, give, give member

I'm a smoker.

You know the rules, and if you ignore them there's a chance you'll be fined.

Simple.

Some of the town centre bins do actually have ash trays on them now, to stub out your ciggy before binning it.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 00:57   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

moaning old goat in my view, ya get caught, ya pay the price, bugs me fact they removed the arndale fag bins, but its the law end of.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:58   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post

You know the rules, and if you ignore them there's a chance you'll be fined.

Think I've heard this before , or something very similar ....... , "We were only following orders" Nuremberg 1946 .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:50   #7
Resting in Peace

This is a load of rubbish i was there on my way to meet less for a pint when this lady got her fine at the time there was 4 police officers accompanying 4 wardens checking anyone that was smoking and where they put the fag ends.
she was not targeted they where working in pairs up and down Broadway that day
she was stopped just across from the fruit and veg shop
and she was mouthing off at anyone that was passing by she got caught dropping her ciggy on the floor and got a fine tough pay up you broke the law end off.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:03   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
there was 4 police officers accompanying 4 wardens

Agree with what everybody has said about dropping the fag end and I suppose we have to congratulate the police in putting so much resource in to this major crime.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:05   #9
Resting in Peace

The way the woman was having a go at the warden they needed police protection
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:08   #10
God Member

Out of curiosity what is the appearance of a litter warden ? do they have a uniform or is it real undercover work James Bond style
Old 06-02-2009, 06:14   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
This is a load of rubbish i was there on my way to meet less for a pint when this lady got her fine at the time there was 4 police officers accompanying 4 wardens checking anyone that was smoking and where they put the fag ends.
she was not targeted they where working in pairs up and down Broadway that day
she was stopped just across from the fruit and veg shop
and she was mouthing off at anyone that was passing by she got caught dropping her ciggy on the floor and got a fine tough pay up you broke the law end off.
So all the double parking problems along Blackburn Rd which so many seem to complain about have been solved , there no unemployed feral "chavs' about , taking up the seats and supping lager and tossing the cans , preventing shoppers with money from getting their bums wet from sitting on ill-designed seats who needed to be moved on.
Seems to me 4 police and 4 wardens is a bit much considering we have an Accy web user who is paid to sweep up the area and has said on here he would love to chat ( has spare time from his job duties) with other Accy web users (No offense intended to Accy web user in question) .
Surely in most cases a written warning in is order for a first offense of this "infraction of the rules" to the laws of civilized behaviour in Accrington center .

Last edited by steeljack; 06-02-2009 at 06:15. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2009, 06:20   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
there no unemployed feral "chavs' about , taking up the seats and supping lager and tossing the cans ,
they put the booze in pop bottles nowadays, you'd be amazed how many people stagger around the centre drunk from drinking coke. One woman in particular uses a Red Bull bottle. To be fair to them they do take the bottles home most of the time....... for a refill
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
they put the booze in pop bottles nowadays, you'd be amazed how many people stagger around the centre drunk from drinking coke. One woman in particular uses a Red Bull bottle. To be fair to them they do take the bottles home most of the time....... for a refill
now thats a new one on me , thought Red Bull only came in the "bullet"sized cans ,

(bit of useless information , understand one of the biggest stockholders in Red Bull is Arnold Schwarzenegger )
Old 06-02-2009, 10:13   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post

i've seen one particular woman do this several times, she puts a can of special brew into her bottle then chucks the can in the bin

as for the woman and the fag end, get a life and stop moaning about being the 'victim'
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25   #15

There used to be a time in this country when proper policemen policed the streets. We had respect for them because we knew that they acted with a high degree of professionalism which included discretion, that is to say that they had the authority, common sense and sense of proportion to deal with each incident as it unfolded.

For some reason, no doubt influenced by the "PC Brigade" and the introduction of council "marshals", that discretion seems to have gone. Along with it, sadly, so to has our communities respect for Law Enforcement.

Of course the real winners in all this are the Rapists, Burglars, Petty Thieves, swindlers, arrogant drivers, foul mouth yobs etc who can go about thier business unchallenged.

We get the society we deserve.
archiveuk is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..