Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-08-2010, 16:23   #1
Common Sense Member

Civic Sunday

I went to the Mayor's Civic Sunday this morning at St James' Church and was treated to a warm event in which people from all political parties simply enjoyed each other's company and celebrated Malcolm and Irene Pritchard's 40th wedding anniversary. The Mayor and Mayoress paid for a lavish buffet up at the town hall afterwards and a nice time was had by all, plus several hundred pounds were raised for their favourite charity.

Whilst we were sat in the church surrounded by ornate woodwork, metalwork and masonry I wondered just how many people across the borough still go to church on Sunday and get to appreciate the years of craftsmanship that has gone into such lovely old buildings.

As a lapsed Catholic I very rarely attend Mass but it would be interesting to hear the views from anyone on this forum who is a regular churchgoer.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-08-2010, 16:30   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Civic Sunday

No, I don't go to church regularly.
I do visit churches, Cathedrals and Abbeys when I am on my travels with Ma.......mainly to wonder at the architecture, which never fails to stun me with its beauty and grandeur. Ma does like a few contemplative moments too.

I am of the firm belief that your God will listen to you where-ever you are........and that communal worship can sometimes be about the social side of life rather than the spiritual side.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 16:37   #3
God Member

was at St Albans Church in Blackburn a few weeks back for my cousins daughters first communion, i love that church, and Father Jude (although he's a Burnley supporter) i don't go often though
Old 29-08-2010, 16:45   #4
Common Sense Member

Oddly enough, I was there myself two weeks ago to film a funeral. It was for a Nigerian family, many members of whom could not make it over to England. Fr Jude conducted a beautiful service in a beautiful building, I just feel rather hollow reading along and speaking words I don't believe in so I keep my trap shut for the most part.

I do sing along with the hymns I know though, not for any religious beliefs but because a deathly silence from the congregation during songs is awful.

Old 29-08-2010, 16:50   #5
God Member

most of my family are catholic, i'm not, but i do have a thing about that church, its one of the most stunning churches i've ever been to, lets hope they don't knock it down anytime soon
Old 29-08-2010, 18:09   #6
Junior Member+

Thank you ken what a good day we raised above £400 for our charities myself and Irene had a day to remember for a long time.
hyndburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 21:33   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

aint been to church christenings, funerals apart fer a few years now, probably lapsed a bit longer n you ken, but do like visiting such places when away, infact last i visited was a church in memphis (Baptist) i think it was, not me own religion but was a very interesting n welcoming service, about 7 yrs ago.
Old 29-08-2010, 22:27   #8
Give, give, give member

Was the King maker in attendance?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 22:37   #9
Give, give, give member

Like churches, just dislike the clap-trap that goes on inside.

Had some spare time, so watched Audrey Hepburn in A Nun's Story, last night.

Good film, but all those brides' of Christ kissing phallic candles, and postulating and prostrating themselves on the floor, before the Mother Abbess, brought on my stigmata, and I went to bleedin' bed.

Old 29-08-2010, 22:43   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Nah to be honest, thought it was "Al Greens" church, taxi driver conned us.
Old 30-08-2010, 09:23   #11
Common Sense Member

Quote:
No, he is apparently still in Spain. Alas.

I for one was glad of the absence. I know that opinions are split on Malcolm as Mayor but I enjoy a good relationship with him and it would have been a shame to have his marriage celebrations ruined by an egoist muscling in on centre stage.

What surprised me most about the day was the non-participation of Paul Barton, Marlene Haworth and Brian Roberts in the Mayoral procession. Every councillor was invited to take part and it just seemed rather churlish to observe from the sidelines. Perhaps it's just me but they did vote for Malcolm to be Mayor, after all.

Whatever your views on an incumbent mayor, the position should be respected.

Old 30-08-2010, 09:29   #12
Resting in Peace

[quote=garinda;841639]Like churches, just dislike the clap-trap that goes on inside.

Had some spare time, so watched Audrey Hepburn in A Nun's Story, last night.

Good film, but all those brides' of Christ kissing phallic candles, and postulating and prostrating themselves on the floor, before the Mother Abbess, brought on my stigmata, and I went to bleedin' bed.[/quote
Comment on wrong post
Old 30-08-2010, 09:32   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
he's on holiday looking after his 15 year old daughter G.
Old 30-08-2010, 09:45   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
he's on holiday looking after his 15 year old daughter G.
Let's hope the rain in Spain stops mainly on the plain.

Leader in holiday horror river plunge - Accrington Observer

Old 30-08-2010, 09:58   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Let's hope the rain in Spain stops mainly on the plain.

Leader in holiday horror river plunge - Accrington Observer

Believe he's given Rivers a wide birth since then G. keeps to the beach these days, string vest, knotted hanky, sandals, white socks, Khaki shorts, tipicle brit on holiday

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..